Dme....luggage only.....don't want to ride the bus!!!!!

Hope this is not a stupid question. Next year My husband and I will be traveling to WDW with my mother and brother. We are all arriving together and using a car to get to the resort. The issue is my mother and brother are lreturnig home a few days before us. Can I make a one way reservation on DME for them. They are flying Southwest and will just have carry on. Thanks in advance:goodvibes

Absolutely, not a problem. The easiest way to do that is when you get to your resort, tell them when your family members are leaving and what flight numbers, then they can print them out bus tickets right at the resort.

OR if you want to take care of it ahead of time, just reserve your entire party roundtrip with the date your family members are leaving as the departure time, then discard the unused boarding tickets.

A couple questions....

My flight home departs at 10am...so Me pick up is about 7am. When do I have to check my bag at the resort? Can it be at 7am?

I am flying ATA and must pay for my checked bag. How do I pay for it if I want to check it at the resort?

Cannot be at 7 AM. You need to be at the Magical Express bus stop fifteen minutes before your assigned time. That's when the bus leaves your resort, not when it arrives. Plus, your transaction with the RAC personnel - especially your bags checked - has to be completed more than three hours before your flight departs.

You need to allow another fifteen minutes to half hour to check your luggage and check in for your flight - more if the resort is busy.

I am flying ATA and must pay for my checked bag. How do I pay for it if I want to check it at the resort?
I hope you're not flying ATA. That airline went bankrupt and shut down last year. See http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23933230/

I hope you mean another airline, such as AA or AirTrans.

For anyone required to pay for checked bags, it's a simple matter of calling BAGS Inc., the company that operates RAC, with a credit card number before you check your bags at the RAC counter.

You'll get the phone number and instructions (under your room door or hanging on your doorknob), along with your DME pick-up time, the day before you check out.

I hope you're not flying ATA. That airline went bankrupt and shut down last year. See http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23933230/

I hope you mean another airline, such as AA or AirTrans.

For anyone required to pay for checked bags, it's a simple matter of calling BAGS Inc., the company that operates RAC, with a credit card number before you check your bags at the RAC counter.

You'll get the phone number and instructions (under your room door or hanging on your doorknob), along with your DME pick-up time, the day before you check out.

ATA = AirTran Airways

I was glad to read this thread. Several of us are arriving on 9/6 from all over the country and I got all the luggage tags, etc to disperse to our family/friends. With that done, I realized one of our party who is coming from LA won't arrive until 6pm that evening and we have a dinner reservation for 7:30 that night. I didn't think he would make it using DME, so I was going to run out and pick him up myself and let the luggage come thru DME.
It sounds like that should work, but it does make me nervous.... but I would hate to have him miss dinner!!! Can he check in at the DME check in, but not get on the bus??? Too much trouble???

Becca, won't be an issue at all. Your dh can get the rental car, while you and your ds ride the bus. Tag all the checked bags, Disney will take them to the resort for you.
For your return, what airline are you flying home on? If it's a participating airline, you can get rid of those checked bags right at the resort....no need to try and stuff them into the rental car.

So, can we check our bags with DME the morning we are leaving WDW to go home and then take our rental car to the airport? We thought we'd have a little extra time in the parks if we just went in our rental car. We'd take our own luggage, but I don't think it will fit in our economy siaed car.

If you're flying home on a participating airline, yes. Rather than me try to remember which airlines participate, would you mind just posting your airline?

Well that is a tough question.. I am not sure if just checking in at the desk means his luggage will be transferred to his resort. He also has to present a vouchure to the bus driver to be scanned when he boards the bus. So I am not sure which action controls the out come of his luggage.

I was glad to read this thread. Several of us are arriving on 9/6 from all over the country and I got all the luggage tags, etc to disperse to our family/friends. With that done, I realized one of our party who is coming from LA won't arrive until 6pm that evening and we have a dinner reservation for 7:30 that night. I didn't think he would make it using DME, so I was going to run out and pick him up myself and let the luggage come thru DME.
It sounds like that should work, but it does make me nervous.... but I would hate to have him miss dinner!!! Can he check in at the DME check in, but not get on the bus??? Too much trouble???

Well that is a tough question.. I am not sure if just checking in at the desk means his luggage will be transferred to his resort. He also has to present a vouchure to the bus driver to be scanned when he boards the bus. So I am not sure which action controls the out come of his luggage.

Neither. Yellow tagged bags are sent directly to the resort. It doesn't matter if the guest rides the bus. Some posters claim DME luggage only guests violate Disney rules. Some people think there might be an issue if the airline loses your luggage. You're normally required to make a preliminary claim prior to leaving the airport. It's not clear if your ability to make a claim might be limited if you didn't check in at the DME desk.

Here's a scenario.....The Smiths have tagged their 3 bags. They get off their plane at MCO at about noon, but decide to have a bite to eat at the airport before heading off to WDW. So, they enjoy a nice something to eat. They amble on down to DME to check in there at 1:30. No problem..they get on the bus and off they go. Those who think that you have to checkin with DME before your bags are moved are wrong...the Smiths' tagged bags will be taken from the plane to a special holding area. The bags (tags) will be scanned several times between the plane and the resort. The bags are put into resort appropriate areas, where they are then loaded onto resort bound trucks. This is all happening while the Smiths are eating. When they get to the DME checkin counter, they will be asked how many bags they checked....now DME knows how many bags they 'should' have for the Smiths.

The only issue that could possibly come up is if the Smiths had tagged their bags, but taken a car service or rental car to WDW...not the bus. They would not have been able to tell DME how many bags they checked. So...if a bag got misdirected (usually by the airline, not DME!!!), they won't realize there is one missing. The only way it will be realized is when the Smiths return to their resort room, later in the day (or evening) to find that they only have two bags, not the three they checked. By this time, many hours may have gone by, with no one looking for that bag.
That would be the only issue I could see happening. And that just doesn't happen all that often. At least I haven't heard of it yet.

I have a quick question I hope can be answered before I leave in the morning!!

We have already flown half way and now are ready to board our last flight in the morning.. I am about to put on my magical express tags and want to know if I should put them on before we leave for the airport or after we get there.. I have had them insist on ripping tags and things off my bags int he past.. also our BIG question.. we have an extra bag.. I assumed they would send us two each and when I saw the perforrated backing I thought there was two each.. now I think they are not meant to be divided.. ? can I cut one (same info and bar codes on each part) and will be fine?

Thank you!!

We have already flown half way and now are ready to board our last flight in the morning.. I am about to put on my magical express tags and want to know if I should put them on before we leave for the airport or after we get there.. I have had them insist on ripping tags and things off my bags int he past.. also our BIG question.. we have an extra bag.. I assumed they would send us two each and when I saw the perforrated backing I thought there was two each.. now I think they are not meant to be divided.. ? can I cut one (same info and bar codes on each part) and will be fine?

Thank you!!
Don't cut those tags in two. They are meant to be the length they are. I'm not sure what will happen if you cut them in half to make two tags. You could have had DME ship you another few tags, but it's obviously too late for that. I would just let the bag go, untagged, and give DME CM the claim receipt for that untagged bag when you get to MCO and DME checkin.
As far as when to put the tags on....do that before you leave for the airport. There shouldn't be any issue with the tags being on there.

Thank you!!

I cut my luggage tags in half by mistake. Nothing happened. My luggage got to my room just like it should have if I had not cut them.

Don't cut those tags in two. They are meant to be the length they are. I'm not sure what will happen if you cut them in half to make two tags. You could have had DME ship you another few tags, but it's obviously too late for that. I would just let the bag go, untagged, and give DME CM the claim receipt for that untagged bag when you get to MCO and DME checkin.
As far as when to put the tags on....do that before you leave for the airport. There shouldn't be any issue with the tags being on there.

Like I said I cut them and nothing happened. I'm sure it is not ideal but it worked for me.

We are doing a split stay. One night at the POP and then 7 at BCV.
Can we just send our bags to BCV and have an overnight bag for our 1st night? Will our bags go to BCV and sit for a day.
Otherwise...how long does it take for bell services to transfer luggage?
thanks

We are doing a split stay. One night at the POP and then 7 at BCV.
Can we just send our bags to BCV and have an overnight bag for our 1st night? Will our bags go to BCV and sit for a day.
Otherwise...how long does it take for bell services to transfer luggage?
thanks
If you are taking DME, your bags have to go to the resort you are heading to. It would be nice if they could go to the resort you are heading to the next morning but it doesn't work that way. So....let DME take your bags to POP. I wouldn't even have them delivered to the room. I would pack what is needed in the carryon bags. Instruct luggage assistence at POP to send your other bags to BC first thing in the morning, then go over to their office area early in the morning to restate your wishes.
It can take the better part of the day to get your bags. If this is going to be an issue, just take a cab over, with your bags, to BC.

Hopefully this is the right place to post this...Have a 6am flight on Dec 31, thus potentially leaving the resort at 3am...the parks are open til 3am thus thought would check out on the 30th and just stay at the parks til needed to leave for airport...do we have to take the DME on the day we actually check out?

Also won't be using airport checkin...will luggage services be open so that we can get our bags at 2-3am?

Thanks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter