Dme....luggage only.....don't want to ride the bus!!!!!

Can i ride DME to a resort other than mine, and have my luggage go on to my resort? Want to go straight to MVMCP from the airport, so I want to take DME to Contemporary but send my luggage to ASM

I know most people here told you no, but we were allowed to ride to a different resort. We were staying at Beach Club but wanted to ride to Poly so we could walk over to Shades of Green to purchase an annual pass. We explained that to the DME person at the desk and she said we could. We explained a second time to the person assisting with sending you to the correct bus. We were prepared to just take an uber from Beach Club to Shades if the answer was no, but they were fine with it. The bus wasn't close to full so no issue that we were taking somebody else's spot. Just my anecdotal experience, but you can always ask and just be prepared if the answer is no.

I know most people here told you no, but we were allowed to ride to a different resort. We were staying at Beach Club but wanted to ride to Poly so we could walk over to Shades of Green to purchase an annual pass. We explained that to the DME person at the desk and she said we could. We explained a second time to the person assisting with sending you to the correct bus. We were prepared to just take an uber from Beach Club to Shades if the answer was no, but they were fine with it. The bus wasn't close to full so no issue that we were taking somebody else's spot. Just my anecdotal experience, but you can always ask and just be prepared if the answer is no.
Yep, you can always ask. As long as one doesn't go in to it with a yes being they only answer that fits their plans, it's all ok
Prepare as if it will be a no, as in, have an alternate/back up plan, like you did. If you don't need to use the backup plan, terrific.

We'd like to land a day early and stay at the Hyatt, our rental car is there and we use DME for luggage only. What will happen with our bags if we do nothing, just tag them at PHL, arrive at MCO a day before our Board Walk ressie and drive to BW?

Thanks,

Bill From PA

Too risky for my blood.
They SHOULD get picked up but who knows. Would you want your bags laying around the airport for goodness knows how long?
I wouldn't. I would never want my bags in limbo. If you aren't arriving on your check in day, get your own bags. Don't play the system with something so important.

Or, you can have Hyatt Bell Services claim your (not DME-tagged) luggage. Then I think you can have them bring your luggage back down so DME can deliver. Fee for both, of course.

Too risky for my blood.
They SHOULD get picked up but who knows. Would you want your bags laying around the airport for goodness knows how long?
I wouldn't. I would never want my bags in limbo. If you aren't arriving on your check in day, get your own bags. Don't play the system with something so important.

My guess was that they'd get taken to BW and stored, after all with a 4 pm check in many bags arrive on early flights and get to the resort well before rooms are ready, they have to stick them somewhere before the room is ready. I agree, it could be dicey but it would make more sense to get them to the resort, I doubt MCO wants to keep them or if they even have a place for them.
Hopefully someone has had personal experience because I just got a great rate for the Hyatt next Oct but DME has us spoiled so I'll dump the Hyatt if forced to choose.

Bill From PA

My guess was that they'd get taken to BW and stored, after all with a 4 pm check in many bags arrive on early flights and get to the resort well before rooms are ready, they have to stick them somewhere before the room is ready. I agree, it could be dicey but it would make more sense to get them to the resort, I doubt MCO wants to keep them or if they even have a place for them.
Hopefully someone has had personal experience because I just got a great rate for the Hyatt next Oct but DME has us spoiled so I'll dump the Hyatt if forced to choose.

Bill From PA
Those who come early but don't have a room till 4:00 are resorts guests that day. You are official a guest at 6 AM. You are talking about the day before. Not the same thing at all.
If they check based on who appears on their check in list for the day, you don't appear.
There is baggage storage at MCO. Both in the back and at each airlines baggage office.
And where it goes is the great unknown. I don't play around with something so important as my baggage.
Even if 1 person had it work, there is nothing that guarantees it will work for you.

Or, you can have Hyatt Bell Services claim your (not DME-tagged) luggage. Then I think you can have them bring your luggage back down so DME can deliver. Fee for both, of course.

Got it but the whole appeal of DME is that I curb check at PHL then don't have to deal with them until the carousel on arrival back at PHL. We're spoiled!

Bill From PA

Got it but the whole appeal of DME is that I curb check at PHL then don't have to deal with them until the carousel on arrival back at PHL. We're spoiled!

Bill From PA
Here's the way to look at it
They take your bag and scan the barcode.
The barcode is not active and tells them nothing because your reservation has not started. It’s not that they take all bags with a tag and figure it out later. They scan them for resort information

Just spend 20 minutes and get the bags. If you’re staying at the airport Hyatt, what else are you going to do with your time? It’s not like you’re rushing out the door to go somewhere.

Just spend 20 minutes and get the bags. If you’re staying at the airport Hyatt, what else are you going to do with your time? It’s not like you’re rushing out the door to go somewhere.
Good point, that's probably what I'll do. I didn't really think this through when I saw the good rate at Hyatt, I just jumped on it and only afterwards did the DME issue come to mind. This spares us a hectic first day which usually consists of a sleep n fly at PHL, up at 3:30 to catch the shuttle for a 6 am flight then get the car, hit Publix and on to Board Walk. Grabbing the bags and checking into the Hyatt is a small price to pay for a good night's sleep a short drive from Disney. Thanks to all for your thoughts. One more thing, If we don't use DME going down, we can still check in and drop the bags at BW as we depart, right?

Bill From PA

Sure. Bell services is for everyone. Doesn't matter how the bags arrived
The only difference is you will have to call for the bags and be in the room to get them. And tip will be expected of course

This isn't really the topic at hand here, but it is about DME and bags, so I'm gonna ask.

I haven't taken DME in a while but I will be on an upcoming trip. Can I still bring my bag with me and have it stored in the compartment on the side of the bus? It's a carry-on--not a huge piece of luggage.

I've done this in the past but things change and I want to make sure this is okay. Before you answer "Why don't you just let DME handle your bags for you?" I prefer to have possession of my bag myself. Even if I have to wait a few minutes to retrieve it from the carousel.

Thanks.

This isn't really the topic at hand here, but it is about DME and bags, so I'm gonna ask.

I haven't taken DME in a while but I will be on an upcoming trip. Can I still bring my bag with me and have it stored in the compartment on the side of the bus? It's a carry-on--not a huge piece of luggage.

I've done this in the past but things change and I want to make sure this is okay. Before you answer "Why don't you just let DME handle your bags for you?" I prefer to have possession of my bag myself. Even if I have to wait a few minutes to retrieve it from the carousel.

Thanks.
Sure can, a few trips back we tent camped at the Fort and had all our gear in two 29 inch suitcases. We picked them up, they got stored under the bus and arrived with us at the Fort.

Luggage delivery stops at 10 p.m. nightly, so everyone arriving after then has to do it with their checked bags. Drivers don’t care whether it’s a carry-on or checked bag. But if they’re storing your bag, you’ll want to tip.

Sure can, a few trips back we tent camped at the Fort and had all our gear in two 29 inch suitcases. We picked them up, they got stored under the bus and arrived with us at the Fort.
Thank you! Glad to hear I can still do this. Sometimes they change things and I haven't done this in over a year.

Luggage delivery stops at 10 p.m. nightly, so everyone arriving after then has to do it with their checked bags. Drivers don’t care whether it’s a carry-on or checked bag. But if they’re storing your bag, you’ll want to tip.
Of course! Always. And thanks for responding. Now I'm all set.

Has anyone flown on standby passes and used DME? I won't know exactly what flight we'll be on until a few days before we leave and again when we depart. Do I need both arrival and departure info? How late can a reserve/change DME? Occasionally, we've had to change flights at the airport. It looks like from this post that if I tag my bags but don't make my flight, DME will grab my bags anyway and bring them to the resort. I don't plan on using RAC when we depart as on occasion we've had to alter flights at the last minute. But just in case, will RAC accept standby passes to check bags?

Reserve it now. All DME absolutely needs for your arrival is the date.

For the return, immediately on receiving your flight information, call the 866 number in several DME threads or go to the Front Desk at your resort.

Has anyone flown on standby passes and used DME? I won't know exactly what flight we'll be on until a few days before we leave and again when we depart. Do I need both arrival and departure info? How late can a reserve/change DME? Occasionally, we've had to change flights at the airport. It looks like from this post that if I tag my bags but don't make my flight, DME will grab my bags anyway and bring them to the resort. I don't plan on using RAC when we depart as on occasion we've had to alter flights at the last minute. But just in case, will RAC accept standby passes to check bags?

The only thing that I would worry about is if your flight arrives after 10pm. Then your luggage might not make it to the resort until the next day. I would not want to deal with that so I would just go and grab my bags.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!