Dme....luggage only.....don't want to ride the bus!!!!!

Couldn't you just pack in a backpack and then get a locker when you arrive at the park?

Personally, I would not trust that they would get my bag without the yellow tags. I've had issues with the tags on so....

Personally if I have to go down and give them my tags I'm taking the bus. I am not giving them the tags and walking out. Until such a time they make an official announcement that you don't have to use ME to use the bag service.
Thank you both for your advice! We arrived this morning and just decided to suck it up and take DME. It really wasn’t that bad.

Of course, as soon as we boarded the bus I got my USPS Informed Delivery email showing our DME letter with the yellow luggage tags.

Oh well! We had a good first (of 2, sadly) day at Disney regardless!

Just to update, we arrived on Saturday, tagged our bags for DME and picked up our rental car. Our bags were in our room about 5 hours later.

Just to add to the lengthy discussion. We’re defiantly sending bags with DME for our June Trip and taking an Uber to our reservations at Ohana after landing. My question is: I plan on putting a tile in each of our bags to avoid the possibility of it sitting in the room next door which seems to happen a lot, does anyone else do that?

I plan on putting a tile in each of our bags to avoid the possibility of it sitting in the room next door which seems to happen a lot, does anyone else do that?
What does this sentence mean? What tile? And why would your bags be in the room next door? I have been using ME since they started offering it and have never had my bags sent to a different room.

A tile is a small fairly inexpensive device that is a gps tracker. I don’t think it’s that likely that they’ll put my bags in the wrong room, but of all the problem scenarios that have come up in this thread, rather than the bags not being loaded and transported to the resort the resort simply putting the bags in a room next door by mistake seems much more common.

I never thought to LoJack my bags. Looks like the tile would work well as long as you are within a certain distance of it. Not so much if the airline looses your bags.

Just to add to the lengthy discussion. We’re defiantly sending bags with DME for our June Trip and taking an Uber to our reservations at Ohana after landing. My question is: I plan on putting a tile in each of our bags to avoid the possibility of it sitting in the room next door which seems to happen a lot, does anyone else do that?
No, I've never bothered with one since you have to be so close for that to work. In all our trips with bag delivery we've only had 1 bag not make our room as it should have. And they knew right where it was. And even then, the bag wouldn't have been close enough for Tile to have done any good at all.

Thought I'd give a recent update
We tagged our bags on 4/19 and decided at the very minute to call for Uber and not ride the bus
We wanted to make breakfast in the lounge and I knew we could be the first stop or the last and didn't want to chance it
Our bags got to our room with no issues
Not sure how long they took, we landed at 8:30 am and were at the resort by 9:30. We got a room by 2:00 and our bags were there when we walked in the room

Last edited:
We fly out in two weeks and are getting a rental. We will be tagging our bags with the magical express tags. Hopefully they get to our room okay!

I would think that if Disney wanted/expected people to just use it as a luggage delivery service that they would advertise it as such. I think that the way that it is set up now, that the people grabbing the luggage are not in sync with those who actually get on the bus, giving the loop hole of allowing people to do this. My concern is that this service is provided for those who are not renting a car so that they can spend their money on property. That is why it is still a free service. And if more and more people are using this service but are getting their own cars and going off property for food, etc, that in Disney's way of thinking, they will start charging for this service. And this will just hurt those that actually ride the bus and stay on property. Having a loop hole is not the same thing as it being "allowed". In the grand scheme of things, it is not a mortal sin to take advantage of a loop hole, not too sure about ethics. But people taking advantage of loop holes like this always leads to changes. And usually not for the better.

Are you sure you know what they are thinking? I don't know anyone can claim to know what Disney expects or wanted.

Fact is there are staff at MCO who will even tell you that it's allowed.

The guests doing this are no more than those who go get their bags and load then on the bus so look at it like they even each other out

Besides that you've made a lot of assumptions. what makes you think the guests are not staying on property the entire time? #1 having a rental car doesn't mean you'll leave. When we drove we never did. #2 what makes you think everyone is getting a rental car?

Are you sure you know what they are thinking? I don't know anyone can claim to know what Disney expects or wanted.

Fact is there are staff at MCO who will even tell you that it's allowed.

The guests doing this are no more than those who go get their bags and load then on the bus so look at it like they even each other out

Besides that you've made a lot of assumptions. what makes you think the guests are not staying on property the entire time? #1 having a rental car doesn't mean you'll leave. When we drove we never did. #2 what makes you think everyone is getting a rental car?

Because common sense dictates that they look at this at all angles. Look at how they have already added parking charges. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that if one of the bean counters sees people using this as a luggage delivery service, and then renting a car, chances are that some of these people are leaving the property. It doesn't have to be everyone. The whole reason they added DME service is to discourage people from getting their own transportation. I would hope that they see that plenty still stay exclusively on site and continue to provide DME for free. But they have already sent out surveys feeling out if people would be willing to pay for the service. I would hope that you are smart enough to know that what the front line cast members say you can do has nothing to do with what upper management decides is best. And of course this is all assumption, just like everything else that someone posts about what Disney will do. But anyone who has been going to WDW for 2+ decades has seen how things come about.

If Disney were to advertise Magical Express as a paid baggage only service option then that would open a new can of worms.

If a bag were lost by the airlines then DME would be accountable to you, because collecting the payment establishes a business relationship with you that would not otherwise exist if neither you nor the bag went on DME.

I feel like the cost of DME is already figured into the room pricing anyway. If you’re staying there they are making money. I would say very few would pay the exorbitant prices to stay on property and spend their vacation at other parks. Our vacation is running $1000 a day for room, food and tickets. If that is what most others are paying at 2/3 occupancy that’s $20,000,000 a day just off of resort guests.

Because common sense dictates that they look at this at all angles. Look at how they have already added parking charges. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that if one of the bean counters sees people using this as a luggage delivery service, and then renting a car, chances are that some of these people are leaving the property. It doesn't have to be everyone. The whole reason they added DME service is to discourage people from getting their own transportation. I would hope that they see that plenty still stay exclusively on site and continue to provide DME for free. But they have already sent out surveys feeling out if people would be willing to pay for the service. I would hope that you are smart enough to know that what the front line cast members say you can do has nothing to do with what upper management decides is best. And of course this is all assumption, just like everything else that someone posts about what Disney will do. But anyone who has been going to WDW for 2+ decades has seen how things come about.
Geeze whiz, so a few dozen guests leave property to eat. What about the thousands who stay off property and on on to eat? Disney doesn't trap guests on site. They aren't sweating a few who go out to eat somewhere else. If they were that worried about a few meals they wouldn't be letting guests bring entire meals into the parks to eat. THAT right there is costing them way more money than a few on-site guests that decide to go grab McD's one morning. Not to mention, how easy it is to get Ride Share to go eat anywhere you want, without a car at all.

If Disney starts to charge for ME they aren't doing it because people didn't ride the bus and let them get their bags. IF they wanted to prevent that they could with extreme ease. It would take nothing for them to include a cross-check to get bags for only the guests that ride. The fact that they haven't right there alone says all I need to know to figure out what they intend, management included. Doesn't take any assumptions.

If Disney was at all concerned about guests tagging bags but getting rental cars, they could easily deal with it.
I figure that a lot who get rental cars are now paying to park at their resorts. Disney isn’t hugely concerned about this issue.
Every single guest is paying for DME, whether they use it or not. It is included in your room rate!

Disney has never come out and said for people to use ME as a luggage delivery service without riding the bus. All of their official statements say that there is free transportation to the resorts which includes luggage delivery. Even on their website on the Mom's panel it says that the luggage delivery is just for those using DME. Just because they passively allow it to happen, does not mean that they won't change things in the future. That is my point. It was never meant to be just a luggage service. And with all things that get taken advantage of, they eventually do away with it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!