Do accessible rooms have doors that prop open?

lalaithelle

Earning My Ears
After travelling with my Mom and her scooter last year we discovered that even though she could get around fine inside the room, she could not get out of our room easily with her scooter because the doors at POFQ do not stay open on their own and do not have doorstops. Essentially she couldn't go anywhere she couldn't walk to without me. To make matters worse, we were on the 3rd floor and the elevators were small. If I was not with her to hold the door open she did not have enough time to maneuver the scooter into/out of the elevator without the doors closing on her. Can anyone tell me if 1) do accessible rooms have doors that stay open or have doorstops and 2) are all accessible rooms on the ground floor or do some resorts have larger, more scooter friendly elevators than others?

I believe that only the Monorail deluxes have those door opening buttons. I know we had one when we last stayed in a Handicapped Accessible Roll in Shower room at Poly. Loved it, but ours was soooooooooo slooooooooow to close that it took 5-ever as my daughter said! I know that at WL the HA rooms do *not* have any auto-open/close doors, and I don't recall seeing them anywhere else at WDW, other than on public doors (not hotel guest room doors)

Been traveling to WDW for years, and am a HUGE fan of POFQ (it - and POR - are both still closed at the moment with no timeline for new reservations or reopening announced yet) and I can tell you from personal experience that all of the HARIS rooms at POFQ are first floor.

While they do not have auto-openers/closers on those rooms, I travel with a "Stoppy" that I wedge in between the door and frame when the door is fully open. Works great. Here is a another product that should work in this situation also: The Wedge-It

I wish they had those auto doors EVERYWHERE.

You and me both! LOL although that door at Poly... it took *forrrreeeevvvveeeerrrr* to close LOL - I know it was less than a minute, but we didn't feel comfortable leaving until it was fully closed and latched!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter