Do any of you know anything about Suffolk University in Boston?

Lynn CC

<font color=blue>DIS Veteran who is a veteran DISe
My DS was accepted there this week, I was wondering how it was compared to a State School, such as UMass Amherst?
He also got a deffered decision from Harvard, he won't know until April....he's hoping it's a YES!
I was pretty excited about Suffolk, just wondering if anyone here knows anything they care to share?

is a great school but it does not compare to Harvard in reputation. The school has an awesome location and great dorms that would be high high high rent apartments if they weren't owned by the school. What does your brother want to do after school.

The Location for Suffolk University is all around the Boston Common (a green space basically in middle of the city), some of there campus buildings like the Student Center is behind the State House on Beacon Hill and some of there dorms are on Tremont Street on the other side of the Boston Common and the Public Gardens. Their dorm rooms are HUGE!! and all of them have great views of the city since they are in skyscrapers.

Hope this helps

The dorm rooms sound great, he will be going in as a Freshman Undergraduate. I know Suffolk doesn't compare to Ivy's but I think it's better than UMass Amherst, a state school? What do you think?
He's just trying to think of all his options just in case he's not accepted to an Ivy, which is very difficult to judge (what they are looking for).
He likes Kung Fu after school!

I know Suffolk doesn't compare to Ivy's but I think it's better than UMass Amherst, a state school? What do you think?

A friend of mine was choosing between Umass Amherst and Bentley since she was going to be a business major... comparitively UMA was just as good of a school as Bentley plus it was ten times cheaper which in my book is a plus... it all depends on what you are looking to get out of the school and with UMA it all depends on the school (business, engineering, etc) you want to get into... but Harvard would look better on a resume then UMA would

Lynn CC said:
The dorm rooms sound great, he will be going in as a Freshman Undergraduate. I know Suffolk doesn't compare to Ivy's but I think it's better than UMass Amherst, a state school? What do you think?
He's just trying to think of all his options just in case he's not accepted to an Ivy, which is very difficult to judge (what they are looking for).
He likes Kung Fu after school!

I just don't understand, why Suffolk? If he's good enough to get into an Ivy, Suffolk isn't even the second class below that.

When you have schools like BU, BC, Tufts, hey even Northeastern in the area, why that school?

BTW, I just did a search for UMass Amherst on Princeton Review as well. As far as academics go, their average SAT is a 1137, while Suffolk's is 1003. Selectivity rating for UMass Amherst: 81. Selectivity rating for Suffolk: 68.

I think that your son would be very, very bored academically at Suffolk based on these numbers alone.

Thanks for the comparison! He does love to be academically challenged. Suffolk is just one of his back up schools his guidance councelor calls it a "safety School" he also applied to the others. The only one he's heard from is Suffolk and Harvard's early decision is a deferral.
He didn't really know the difference between Suffolk and UMA (his other safety school choice) except one being private and one being state.
Could you tell me the website that rates the colleges?

www.princetonreview.com

You can buy the book at Borders or wherever, it has much more information. It's the best colleges book, it rates them, gives student opinions, etc.

Although it's really something to buy before you start applying to figure out which school is right for you and what the differences are. :)

Suffolk does have a pretty terrific location. I know a wonderkid who came out of UMass Amherst in 2003 - he was actually their graduation speaker. If your son decides to go that way, I'd be happy to set up an introduction, so he can learn some of the ropes a little early.
D

danacara said:
Suffolk does have a pretty terrific location. I know a wonderkid who came out of UMass Amherst in 2003 - he was actually their graduation speaker. If your son decides to go that way, I'd be happy to set up an introduction, so he can learn some of the ropes a little early.
D

you mean you know someone who came out of UMass Amherst or Suffolk?
DS actually applied to both, along with 15 others! Talk about a lot of work.
Thanks for the offer, I'll let you know when he finds out more about other offers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter