Do CityWalk restaurants accept UO gift cards?

chabs

DIS Veteran
I'm specifically interested in Voodoo Donuts and NBC-does anyone know if they accept Universal Orlando gift cards? I would assume that they do, but wanted to double check to see if anyone has any experience with this before I buy too many.

I don’t know but my gut says the opposite of yours. I don’t see why they would take Universal gift cards. I look forward to hearing a real answer. :)

We were given $100 Universal Gift card by Guest Services and we used them at NBC and Margaritaville.

Not sure if that’s the same thing folks talk about buying in stores, as we’ve never bought or used them before......

Sorry I don’t know the answer but I am curious as to why people BUY Universal gift cards. I understand if you received them as a gift or from Universal Guest Services, but why do people buy them? What’s the advantage?

Do you get them at a discount? If so, where?

We got Universal Gift Cards last year for doing a Show Preview/Survey (it was really hot out and it was a good way to cool off for a little bit).

I tried to use them online when we got home but it was a no-go.

I will use them for our next trip in October but am now also wondering if we can use them at CitiWalk restaurants or Toothsome?

It is a way some people use to budget/save for the trip.
But what is the incentive? No savings? I know I bought Disney Gift cards because I had a 10% off coupon from Target good toward anything.

I don’t understand why buy GCs that you can’t get a refund on should you have to cancel your trip, or have to worry about losing the cards.

Doesn’t a CC basically do the same thing? I just pay it in full each month so I don’t get charged interest.

I also get 4X membership rewards on my CC for restaurant charges. I wouldn’t earn that buying gift cards.

So just wondering what the incentive is.

It’s like buying a meal plan. It’s a way to set aside how much you think you’ll want to spend and do it ahead of time. I think it’s better than the dining plans at either park at least.

I have bought Disney gift cards becuse I can get them in Canada, no Universal cards here. But I’d buy them if I could get them here. I probably will when I get there.
The reason I like gift cards is that I don’t have to carry around credit card, and there’s less chance of it being compromised. Even at Disney I’ve heard on Dis several times people’s credit cards were compromised. So if for no other reason I like the safety aspect. So many times a day I’d have to use credit card, meals, snacks, shops, etc. I feel more comfortable using gift cards. I take a photo on my phone of the back. In case I loose it I can go have it stopped. I think Universal can bring up a record of use like Disney and can issue you another card with remaining balance.
I calculate what I think I’ll need and put on the card that amount or maybe a little less. Then refill card as needed.

Last edited:
I have APs for Disney and UO, try to visit every other month or so, so it’s not likely that I’ll never spend them if I get stuck with them. There is no advantage, I buy them because I like to give them as gifts to my family. Someone at work asked me about the two restaurants and I had no idea because my kids normally use them in the parks.

I get Disney ones when my credit card offers 10% back at certain stores (Staples, Michael's). Or I can buy them at Target for 5% off. Unfortunately there are no Universal GCs to be found around here.

I'm specifically interested in Voodoo Donuts and NBC-does anyone know if they accept Universal Orlando gift cards? I would assume that they do, but wanted to double check to see if anyone has any experience with this before I buy too many.

Yes - I used my gift card at both locations in September. I haven't had any places at Universal parks or Citywalk not take them!

Sorry I don’t know the answer but I am curious as to why people BUY Universal gift cards. I understand if you received them as a gift or from Universal Guest Services, but why do people buy them? What’s the advantage?

I like the convenience of not having to carry cash around the parks and, as a Canadian, if I put the charges on my credit card, we get extra fees. So once I get to the hotel, I pick up a gift card, put $500 on there and I'm good to go for the week!

But what is the incentive? No savings? I know I bought Disney Gift cards because I had a 10% off coupon from Target good toward anything.

I don’t understand why buy GCs that you can’t get a refund on should you have to cancel your trip, or have to worry about losing the cards.

Doesn’t a CC basically do the same thing? I just pay it in full each month so I don’t get charged interest.

I also get 4X membership rewards on my CC for restaurant charges. I wouldn’t earn that buying gift cards.

So just wondering what the incentive is.

I get them (and Disney cards when we go there) because I can get discounts. Last year, I bought grocery store gift cards at my sons school (for a discount on private school tuition) and used those to but UO gift cards that I used to pay for my trip. Grocery store gave me $.20 off per gallon of gas for every $50 I spent on gift cards. The total amount on my grocery store account had me driving with free gas for 3 months. So all told it saved me about 15%.

If your credit card is that lucrative, I'd find a grocery store rewards program and buy UO gift cards with you credit card and double dip the savings like I did.

I did not buy a ton, but some I bought were for the kids...$100 each as their souvenir money. It had a picture of Harry Potter, and I thought it would be easier for them to budget that way.
I bought two others when my grocery store had 4x fuel points (Kroger). I bought them with a credit card, so I still got rewards from the credit card plus buying two $100 gift cards got me 80 cents off/gallon of gas at my next fill up.
We also received one from a friend as a present.

You can use your Universal gift card at all the CityWalk restaurants as well as Voodoo Donuts. You can use them at restaurants in the parks as well as for purchases in the parks and at CityWalk.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter