Do I have to take Magical Express to move my luggage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonathan Katz

Earning My Ears
Hello,

We are headed to Disney World this week and were planning to use Magical Express to go to the resort. Looking at our timing and since we're flying in early enough, we thought we might go directly to a park via Uber and stay there until the check-in time. Will our luggage still magically appear in our resort room if we don't actually board the bus?

Thanks!

Hello,

We are headed to Disney World this week and were planning to use Magical Express to go to the resort. Looking at our timing and since we're flying in early enough, we thought we might go directly to a park via Uber and stay there until the check-in time. Will our luggage still magically appear in our resort room if we don't actually board the bus?

Thanks!

On the inbound there is the expectation that you will ride the bus in order to take advantage of the luggage delivery service - here is the sticky on the Transportation board with all the details/information.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/dme-luggage-only-dont-want-to-ride-the-bus.2015788/

There are lots of pros and cons to trying to work around this - all in the sticky post :)

OT but a bit relevant:

On the outbound the luggage service (RAC) is separate from DME so if your airline participates and your flight time qualifies you can check your bags at the resort to your home airport and then get to the airport by whatever means you choose, DME, rideshare, town car etc.

The last 2 Food&Wine trips staying at Board Walk we sent our luggage along on the DME bus and rented a car, hit Publix for a grocery stop, dropped the food & laptop with bell services then headed for the IG. Bags were in the room when we got the text telling us the room was ready. Doing the same thing in 2 more days.

Bill From PA

Hello,

Thanks!
Welcome to the DIS :welcome:
There is a Transportation Forum here where this type of question should be asked rather than here on the Resort Forum.
DME is NOT a Luggage delivery service. Sending just your luggage without being scanned to board is risky. Reports on the Transportation Forum vary to the success doing this. Some, like Bill, report success. Others report failure.
I wouldn’t risk it.

Last edited:

Be aware that if you do not ride and there are any issues with the luggage, you have violated terms of carriage so stuff may get weird.

"... [V]iolating terms of carriage ..." may sound harsh but even you would agree Disney should not be responsible for guests' luggage if neither the guests nor the luggage went on Magical Express to the resorts.

Are you talking about your carry ons, that normally ride on the bus with the guests? If so, when the bus gets to the hotel, the carry ons are taken off at the arrival point and left there, on the sidewalk - no one takes them inside and to your room for you.

Are you talking about your carry ons, that normally ride on the bus with the guests? If so, when the bus gets to the hotel, the carry ons are taken off at the arrival point and left there, on the sidewalk - no one takes them inside and to your room for you.

I am quite sure the OP was talking about the option to have Disney transfer your "checked bags" to your room for you / using your yellow DME Luggage tags. Tag your bags, check them at your home airport, they skip the baggage carousel and are delivered to your resort room.

If you can/should do this is addressed on the sticky above.

All guests would be bringing their "carry on bags" with them so I am not sure how you think they would get to a DME bus if they choose rideshare, town car or taxi instead of DME?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter