Do I need a folding cane?

Kleese

Mouseketeer
I use a cane to get around and I am wondering if it would be easier when I go on rides to have a folding cane to store away? I have rented a scooter but just really nervous about going to Disney. The last time I was there I was just getting sick and I remember how big and difficult Disney can be. Can anyone give me tips? Thanks so much !

My mother in law had one just in case, she left it in the scooter basket when she didn’t feel like she needed it and nobody touched it.

I'm taking my folding cane for the first time on my next WDW excursion.
I may end up getting a scooter but I'd rather try to navigate without one.

I have a folding cane that I keep in my basket when I'm on my scooter. Then when I get on the rides, I just fold my cane up and it's not in anyone's way. Extremely handy.

My Mom brings her regular cane and we get a scooter for her too. It goes on most rides with us and those it can't go on the cast member takes it and it is waiting for us at unload. Never been a prblem.

My husband has nerve damage in one leg, so is "wobbly" and unsteady. He used a folding cane last trip and loved it. It is small enough that it doesn't get in the way while navigating WDW. It is easy to fold up for rides. They are really useful and unintrusive.

I used a regular cane, and it fit in every vehicle I took it into. ( I didn't attempt to take it on coasters or Soarin', but as PP said the load/unload CM's will hold onto it. The ECV's I've used have had a clip to hold crutches or a cane, so you have both hands free for driving.

This is simply my personal preference, and others may be different, but I think I would find the folding and unfolding of the cane when I needed it just as much bother as getting it into the ride vehicle full-size.

I have a folding cane that I keep in my basket when I'm on my scooter. Then when I get on the rides, I just fold my cane up and it's not in anyone's way. Extremely handy.
That’s what I was thinking as well. I definitely need both the cane and the scooter. Unfortunately :rolleyes2. I did get a cane holder for the back of the scooter but I was worried about it being in the way when I get on a ride with my little girl. She’s two and I want to do as much as she can do,as much as I can. I just don’t want to let her down.

You do not need a folding Cain if the Cain does not fit/ is not safe to go on the ride with you a CM will take it to the exit for you
Wow, I didn’t know they would do that. That’s good to know. Thanks for telling me!

I'm taking my folding cane for the first time on my next WDW excursion.
I may end up getting a scooter but I'd rather try to navigate without one.
I hope you have a great time and you don’t hurt :love:! Best of luck to you! I have several health issues and can not walk that far or stand for that long. I wouldn’t be able to navigate or wait for the bus even at our resort much less a park. We are going to cut the day in half and rest at the resort for both my 2 yr old and myself so I hope this helps as well.
I rented a scooter from one of the business’s listed on WD website and for 8 days with a cane holder and it was like less then $240 so I was over the moon at the price. Plus they deliver to your resort and pick it back up for you for nothing!

You do not need a folding Cain if the Cain does not fit/ is not safe to go on the ride with you a CM will take it to the exit for you
Yes.
If the boarding areaand unload area are in different places, the CM will move mobility devices (including canes or crutches).
I used a regular cane, and it fit in every vehicle I took it into. ( I didn't attempt to take it on coasters or Soarin', but as PP said the load/unload CM's will hold onto it. The ECV's I've used have had a clip to hold crutches or a cane, so you have both hands free for driving.

This is simply my personal preference, and others may be different, but I think I would find the folding and unfolding of the cane when I needed it just as much bother as getting it into the ride vehicle full-size.
Canes will fit in most ride cars with you, which can help with getting in and out.
For roller coasters, the CM would usually take it for you for storage.

For Soarin’ a cane would just go down on the floor by your feet. When you get off, it will be exactly where you left it.

That’s what I was thinking as well. I definitely need both the cane and the scooter. Unfortunately :rolleyes2. I did get a cane holder for the back of the scooter but I was worried about it being in the way when I get on a ride with my little girl. She’s two and I want to do as much as she can do,as much as I can. I just don’t want to let her down.
I find that my cane helps me get balanced and able to step up and out of most boats like Small World. I found it also helped me balance on the moving ramps getting off rides with moving ramps. you have already done the smart thing by getting off site ECV to have at resort. most rides you can take ECV up to ride then transfer using cane in and out of ride. have a great trip. ECV will be moved if needed to where you exit ride

I have used both a folding cane and a regular cane at WDW. Here are the rides where a CM will take the cane and have it waiting for you by the exit:

Magic Kingdom:
Space Mountain
Splash Mountain
Seven Dwarves Mine Train

Epcot:
Soarin'

Disney's Hollywood Studios:
Rock N Roller Coaster
Tower of Terror
Flight of Passage

Animal Kingdom:
Dinosaur
Expedition Everest

On Tower of Terror, the CM will allow you to fold up the cane and hold it in your lap. Some CMs at Expedition Evert let me take my cane on the ride. I either folded it up and put it in the mesh holder or just sat it beside me. All other rides I tend to put the cane beside me or between my knees (for shows).

I have used both a folding cane and a regular cane at WDW. Here are the rides where a CM will take the cane and have it waiting for you by the exit:

Magic Kingdom:
Space Mountain
Splash Mountain
Seven Dwarves Mine Train

Epcot:
Soarin'

Disney's Hollywood Studios:
Rock N Roller Coaster
Tower of Terror
Flight of Passage

Animal Kingdom:
Dinosaur
Expedition Everest

On Tower of Terror, the CM will allow you to fold up the cane and hold it in your lap. Some CMs at Expedition Evert let me take my cane on the ride. I either folded it up and put it in the mesh holder or just sat it beside me. All other rides I tend to put the cane beside me or between my knees (for shows).

Thank you very much. This is so helpful! Can you tell me which one seemed easier for you? I’ve never used a folding cane before.

Yes.
If the boarding areaand unload area are in different places, the CM will move mobility devices (including canes or crutches).

Canes will fit in most ride cars with you, which can help with getting in and out.
For roller coasters, the CM would usually take it for you for storage.

For Soarin’ a cane would just go down on the floor by your feet. When you get off, it will be exactly where you left it.
Just curious, how do they move your mobility scooter? Do you have to leave the key in it or key with the ride operator?

Just curious, how do they move your mobility scooter? Do you have to leave the key in it or key with the ride operator?
All scooter have a switch that the CM move and this lets them push it to where the unload area is. Never leave your key

I

If the cane is a folding cane, it will fold up and fit right in the pouch just under your seat. Thinking about it reminds me of why I recommend a folding cane-I guess I'm a control freak! I need to have access to my cane at all times, sort of like an "emotional support cane". If a CM took it away from me where I couldn't see it, even for a few seconds, I'd probably panic.

Can you tell me which one seemed easier for you? I’ve never used a folding cane before.

I've used both a folding cane and a standard cane at WDW and both times in conjunction with an ECV. The first time, I had an folding cane and rented a ECV via WDW. The baskets on those are widely-spaced wire baskets. I would fold up the can and put it in the basket. Then when I tried to grab the folding cane, it had bounced mostly through the basket. Also, sometimes I had problems getting the pieces of the cane pulled apart to fold it up. Other times, it made it's way to the bootm of the basket under various bags, etc. So it became a bit of a hassle.

The next time, I rented an ECV from off-property and got a cane holder accessory. The basket on it was a plastic one that was enclosed, so a fold-up cane could have been stored in there. However, that trip I was using a regular cane. The only nuisance was that it would bang against the sides of the cane holder as I went along. I solved that problem by finding a rubber band and wrapping it around the cane where it was hitting the side of the holder. I did find that using the regular cane to be a bit easier.

This past trip, I once again rented an ECV off-property (different company) and used a regular cane. However, this time my cane had a custom-made Mickey Mouse themed cane wrap from Etsy. No need for the rubber band.

Personally, I found it easier to use an ECV that had a cane holder with my regular cane. It was much easier to grab the cane and go each time, as well as easy to put it in its holder than mess with a fold-up cane. When it came to rides, I would just put the cane next to me or between my knees (depending on the ride vehicle. On the few rides that required me to give it to a cast member, it was always at the unloading area. Sometimes the CM remembered me and had it ready, but most of the time it was leaning against the wall and I just needed to ask them for it. I use my cane primarily to assist in getting out of some ride vehicles.

Hope this helps! Feel free to ask any questions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter