Do I need more than one GAC?

saymama

Mouseketeer
We knew it was coming, but 2 weeks ago my second son was dx with autism. So now we have 2 kids with autism in our group. I planned on getting a pass for my 4 yr old for this reason. But the my younger son, 20 mos, isn't exactly identified in our group because he doens't have to pay. Should we get a card for him also in case we want to split up? My inlaws are bringing us, so it is possible. The 20 mos old doesn't have as many noise phobias, but is afraid to be held still. He tantrums if you try to hold him in one position while standing still. He's okay if you are moving, but I think he feels trapped if you don't move.

So, is it possible, or should I even bother getting one for him? I have the drs' dx for both of them.

If you do plan to split your group and the people who need teh accomodation will not be together, then you should ask for separate GACs. For me (when I need it) and my kids, everything is included on one GAC because we don't split up.
:)

{{{{{{hugs}}}}}} Have you read Thinking In Pictures yet? Great book.

teri.GIF
DIS disABILITIES Discussion Board FAQ under construction!
"My brain takes a vacation just to give my heart more room..."
teri@iluvdisney.com

Thanks I guess we will get one just in case.

I don't want to split up, but I might need to let the little one take a break a some point, so then yes we will let everyone else stay will we hope the monorail back to the hotel.

I have not read that book yet! Funny thing is, it's sitting right here. I opened it last night, but, I'm a bit swamped in autism research and needed a break. I think I'll start on it tonight.

thanks

In addition to what teri said, you might want to request a GAC for your son that says he can use his stroller as a wheelchair (being able to bring it into lines and buildings where strollers aren't usually allowed. If he feels secure and is usually happy in his stroller, it might help a lot to be able to bring it with you. That way, no one has to try to hold him still.

SueM in MN
Co-Moderator of disABILITIES

I have a 5 yr old ds & a 7 yr old dd. Both are autistic. If you need someone to talk to...
We love to go to Disney several times a year. We've already been twice this year & we'll be there again in Aug. We get 2 GACs. My dd likes the coasters & my ds likes to spin.

Bless you. Aren't you a sweetheart. I'm still trying to deal with it. I knew it was coming, but thought maybe I was making it all up. Anyway, I am scared of the unknown and they will react and process it all. I saw the disney commerical yesterday with the little boy that says he can't do anything until he sees Mickey. It actually took all my will to not break down on the spot. My sons have no clue that they are even going. I try to explain that we will go and see pooh bear and let them watch the video, but it's over their heads. I'm just really not sure what to expect standing in line. How many people stare and make comments when you use another entrace and does it really take that long? I promise not to scratch anyone's eyes out for comments, but I can't promise that I won't make my own rude comments back.

Thanks so much for responding.

Saymama and others, click on the link in my signature and take a look at the FAQ. There are sections in there about helping hypsersensitive children and threads about how to deal with comments and staring. Also, get to know the GAC before you go, so you will know what to ask for at Guest Services.

{{{{{{{Hugs}}}}}}} for both of you. You will be OK, take it easy!

teri.GIF
DIS disABILITIES Discussion Board FAQ under construction!
"My brain takes a vacation just to give my heart more room..."
teri@iluvdisney.com

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts