Do most people run 5K alone or in groups

kniquy

DIS Veteran
I'm signed up for the dark side 5K -- I was trying to talk my co-worker (who is traveling with me for a conference)into it, but she doesn't think she could do it. Anyways -- I'm going it alone. I'm wondering if most people attend these races with others? I can totally see how it would be so much more fun stopping for picture with a group than my lonely own self.

I know the 5K is more of a fun race so more novice runners can partake, whereas a 10K or half you'd apt to have more solo runners.

We usually have a group of us who walk the 5K together and then since we have different paces the 10K and Half are solo. I just watch the 10k and Half since I can't run them and I see groups of 2 or 3 but not much larger than that and it's mostly singles. I'm usually watching from the end though so pace has sorted and broken everyone up by then. The 5Ks are usually more groups or at least couples. It definitely does help for picture stops to have someone to switch off with. I have done one 5k by myself and everyone was very nice in picture lines to take my picture with my phone and I then I reciprocated.

I think most go in groups, but not everyone. I just did the 3 January races by myself and will be doing the Princess races by myself, too. I like doing the races solo because I get to control the pace and picture stops...and people on the course are very friendly, so there's always someone to talk to. :)

I did the Princess 5K last year by myself and had a great time! You tend to meet people in the corrals while waiting for the start, and along the course, so if you do want some company it will be readily available.

I usually go the race weekends with a friend or two but I run my own race. I don't stop for pictures and don't run at the same pace as the people I usually travel with.

Similar to others, I've always gone to the races with at least one other person but I've run my own race each time. I have pretty bad social anxiety and I've never had any issues in the corrals or with the social aspect of Disney races.

I've done both. There are so many people at races that no one can really tell who anyone else is with or not with. Unless people are in a group theme costume.

Running solo is nice because you literally can do whatever you want. You do not have to worry about making room for everyone on the course, no worries about trying to stick together, no guilt for stopping or running ahead of your pack or for being the "slow one." And you can zone out with your music or viewing the atmosphere without feeling like you have to chat the whole time. If you want to stop to take a picture of a cool mickey light post or with a character, you don't have to negotiate with anyone.

Running in a group is nice though if you like to chat & goof around, and if you get lonely in the corrals, and especially if you need someone to keep you moving. If you are more easily motivated by others than a self-motivator. Although my first rundisney race I made friends with people by me, but I'm a bit extroverted with strangers. @Barca33Runner can tell you I was a bit excited to see him in his Eeyore onesie that morning.

Also running solo means you can cry like a baby freely at the sight of the Epcot ball (or something similar) and none of your friends will judge you. YMMV :)

I generally go alone. Sometimes I'll have a friend doing the race, but like others, we run our own race. I have no issues taking pictures by myself! :P My husband ran my last 5k with me, but we immediately split as soon as it started. He knows how competitive I am and didn't mind and I got to cheer him on at the finish line. However, if I'm not racing I don't mind running with him or with a friend.

I run alone, friend sometimes comes along but we have always been in separate corrals and time she moved back to join me I felt I was holding her back entire time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter