Do parents really put their older kids in diapers for a trip to Disney world?

:confused3 What are people thinking? This is incredible! Never would do it. Take a few mins in between rides and go potty for cryn out loud!

Part of being a parent is understanding that your life is no longer your own -- and that certainly applies to Disney trips!! Okay, so you have to get out of line when your child has to go to the bathroom. Get over it!!! Make a happy bathroom stop and be grateful your child is potty trained. Then, get back in line and have a great time. You are at DISNEY WORLD -- it should be as much about the kids as it is you, if not more. UGH. I can't imagine embarassing my 3, 5, and 7 year olds by asking them to wear dipes so as not to inconvenience me. UGH.

EWWWWW I just thought about the person standing behind a 7 year old doing more than pee into a diaper in line. :faint:

guys, this is has got to be a troll. He's just looking for a reaction.

just stop replying to this thread and it will happily die.

OMG! I would never do that! Just take regular potty breaks and you will be fine.

I can't imagine how humiliating that would be for the child. Plus your telling them it is more important to go on a ride than to pee your pants.

Mark_Millder said:
I'm preparing our family holiday to WDW and visiting several websites for this purpose. On some websites I read the advise to diaper older children, even if they are potty trained. I found this advise on several sites.

One mother writes "I have to agree with the diapers for children 7 or under. The lines are very long, and while you wait, it is a guarantee after waiting a long period of time and just before you get on a ride one of the little ones has to go".

Although I'm not considering to diaper my 5 and 8 y/o sons I'm wondering if parents really do this and if its advisable.
OMG. Never would consider it. Nope, never done it, never will.

No, we've never done that and will never to that. I've never found the lines to be that long...actually, I don't think I've ever waited in a line for the restroom.

I think it would more for a child who has a small bladder. DD has been trained forever and gives enough warning that I have never had a problem finding a bathroom when traveling. However, we traveled to Chicago with her cousin who is the same age and it wasnt a pleasant trip for him. If he has to go, he has to go now! We did 3 along side the highway immediant stops. I feel bad for him and think it is a bit dangerous. So for a child like him, I would consider it for a long car trip incase of accidents.

Although both my sons are used to wearing diapers at night (due to severe bed wetting problems) I'm not thinking of putting them back in diapers at day time just to be a lazy parent.

I really can't believe that parents are doing this, just as I can't believe that parents put children that can walk in strollers. Do they really put 6 y/o in strollers at WDW?

That must be as humiliating to the child and might have some bad psychological effects as well.

Those parents need to be made to wear Attends if they make their older kids wear diapers to avoid stopping to use the restroom.

Mark_Millder said:
just as I can't believe that parents put children that can walk in strollers.

You do realize that most children walk around one year of age? My ds walked at 9 mos. and my dd at 11 mos. Neither of them would have been able to walk at WDW at that age for very long.

WantToGoNow said:
You do realize that most children walk around one year of age? My ds walked at 9 mos. and my dd at 11 mos. Neither of them would have been able to walk at WDW at that age for very long.

:rotfl2: ok, I mean from 3 years and older

Mark_Millder said:

Don't be so quick to judge. My 4 year old still uses a stroller at Disney, and will for the forseeable future. He's just not a walker.

And for the diapers, does seem unusual, but there are some children who are still in diapers until close to 4. So again, we all shouldn't jump to conclusions.
And, as another poster mentioned, there are plenty of disabled kids who go to Disney who may use pull-ups still.

I do still take pullups on plane rides when I travel with DS, just in case. I've had a couple of instances where the plane got stuck on the ground for hours, and they wouldn't let people up to use the bathroom. I didn't end up needing it for my son, but I might have.

Blah, hard topic. I don't have kids, but I remember when I was 4/5, somewhere around there, and I went to Disney with my grandparents, they put me in diapers (even though I wastrained since 2.5 years old). It had some really bad psychological effects on me growing up (although I am well past it)..

Depending on the child, it can really affect them during their childhood.. so my answer is a big no, unless medically needed. ;)

Mark_Millder said:

My son rode in one up until 8. Not constantly, just when he requested one because his legs were tired. It was his choice, and he was in good company as you often see older kids piled into one of the rental strollers with younger sibs or just by themselves. However, should my son require therapy for this as an adult I will be sure to come back and warn my fellow disers about the physchological damage that can be done from this practice. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't put my ds back in diapers at WDW if he were already pt'd. I think that's kind of lazy parenting isn't it? I mean the restrooms are pretty easily found and it doesn't seem like it would be too hard to just take regular potty breaks. As for children wearing diapers until they're 4... My ds is about 3-1/2 still, a bit tall for his age, so people might think he's older than he really is, and not p/t'd yet. He also still rides in a stroller when we're at WDW but it's getting to be a rare occurrence on a day to day basis. WDW is different. I wouldn't expect his short legs (in comparison to ours) to be able to do several miles of walking a day for several days in a row at this point.

Don't forget stroller or not the kids are much closer to the hot ground than we are and should be well hydrated.

Occasionally my 3.5 year old still wears a pull up just in case we have an accident (long car trip/plane), but since we still put her in them from time to time she wouldn't freak out. With that said I still don't plan on putting her in one at Disney.

I guess it just depends on your child. Does your child have accidents a lot at home? If so - they put on the pull ups. I don't agree with putting a 7 year old in one, but there again it would be very embarassing for an older child to pee on a ride (and I really don't want to sit in it from someone else's child). It is most important to "parent" at disney like you would any where else. I mean don't you ask your kids all the time if they need to go potty at the zoo, mall, grocery store etc. Why would this change at Disney?

Mark_Millder said:
I'm preparing our family holiday to WDW and visiting several websites for this purpose. On some websites I read the advise to diaper older children, even if they are potty trained. I found this advise on several sites.

One mother writes "I have to agree with the diapers for children 7 or under. The lines are very long, and while you wait, it is a guarantee after waiting a long period of time and just before you get on a ride one of the little ones has to go".

Although I'm not considering to diaper my 5 and 8 y/o sons I'm wondering if parents really do this and if its advisable.

WHAT? Never heard of such a thing. For goodness sake - there are bathrooms all over the place. Periodic stops should be made. My rule when we were in Disney was if you passed a bathroom - use it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter