Do the grown ups have to dress up for the Disney Cruises??

A01

Earning My Ears
Do the grown ups have to dress up for the Pirate and Halloween parties they have on board if they have no kids along? I love to dress up for Halloween and that but my spouse can be a bit stubborn when it comes to things like this he rather not dress up for the deck parties and that. But are clothes that you can wear that are not costumes that blend in with the theme?

Do the grown ups have to dress up for the Pirate and Halloween parties they have on board if they have no kids along? I love to dress up for Halloween and that but my spouse can be a bit stubborn when it comes to things like this he rather not dress up for the deck parties and that. But are clothes that you can wear that are not costumes that blend in with the theme?
You dress up or not. Up to you. I'm with you - I always bring along my pirate gear. Thankfully, my husband also plays along (although not as much as me).

Reactions: A01
No one HAS to dress up for Halloween or Pirate Night (or Marvel or Star Wars) - regardless of age it is 100% optional.

Yes, anyone not dressed up for Pirate night is made to walk the plank. pirate:

But seriously, no. Your spouse doesn't have to dress up and he will see plenty of others not dressed up.

So not everyone dresses up for the themed cruises like Halloween and that. That is good to know for him.

So not everyone dresses up for the themed cruises like Halloween and that. That is good to know for him.

No, not everyone dresses up. My very first cruise, I didn't dress up at all. Then for a few cruises, my daughter and I both wore pirate costumes we purchased at a Halloween store. But then I rebelled. My costume was very itchy and uncomfortable. So the next cruise, I wore khaki capris and a white ruffled shirt. Then DD saw the value in being comfortable and decided the pirate costume wasn't necessary.

We dress up for pirate night, HoTHS, Palo, Remy,...heck, we 'dress for dinner'. It's all in good fun; but as was said above, it's what DW & I want to do. If I wear my white dinner jacket tux & she in a gown at Remy that's fun for us whereas others prefer less formal. If DH isn't comfortable in pirate gear/costume or whatever, I don't think that anyone would blink at his not being in costume.

Dress in the dining rooms at elsewhere varies widely from full-blown costumes to shorts and flip flops.

DH and I bought Pirate Mickey t-shirts on the ship. That's the extent of our dress-up for pirate night. When we were on a Disney Halloween cruise we both dressed up because we enjoy Halloween and already had costumes. A lot of the passengers really wore elaborate costumes, but again, it's totally optional.

You don't have to dress up at all and I saw plenty of people just wearing normal clothes. On my past cruises, our tablemates just wore the bandanas provided by Disney for free on pirate night and we did the same. I'm going to change it up a bit this year and don a pirate hat along with an eye patch. The important thing is to have fun with it but nobody will judge you if you choose not to participate and you can still hit up the late-night pirate buffet.

As others have said, you don't have to dress up at all. We just had Pirate night and a Star Wars day at sea on our cruise 2 weeks ago and DH and DS10 didn't dress up in costumes at all. I tied the pirate bandana in my hair and wore a Star Wars sundress. No one cares if you dress up or not.

Ten DCL cruises and the only dressing up we do is for formal night and Palo/Remy. No costumes for us ever. We don't feel out of place at all. Nor do we feel that those who do dress up for Pirate Night are out of place. It's a very casual, whatever-makes-you-comfortable kind of atmosphere.

Ten DCL cruises and the only dressing up we do is for formal night and Palo/Remy. No costumes for us ever. We don't feel out of place at all. Nor do we feel that those who do dress up for Pirate Night are out of place. It's a very casual, whatever-makes-you-comfortable kind of atmosphere.

The same here. And I agree totally with your post.

I love seeing othes dressed up, looks fun. I love seeing families all together dressed up and having a ball. But for DH and me, not.

Now when my boys were younger they would dress up for Pirate Night. Sadly, they are all grown, so I will have to wait for my future grandkids!!

Do the grown ups have to dress up for the Pirate and Halloween parties they have on board if they have no kids along?
Well I think you have been offered on this question but your last question was never really answered.

my spouse can be a bit stubborn when it comes to things like this he rather not dress up for the deck parties and that.
Men.

But are clothes that you can wear that are not costumes that blend in with the theme?
So he could go with the pirate t-shirt as mentioned. Or, are you aware what “Disney Bounding” is?(it’s google-able) That’s where a person takes elements of the character and incorporate them in every day street clothes. For example you could dress him in a regular pair of black shorts or dress pants coupled with a black and white striped shirt or red and black stripe shirt. The strips can be wide or narrow, it can be a golf shirt or T-shirt. Whatever his little heart desires, but red and black match the color of the bandanna, black-and-white match the colors of The Pirate Smee, Captain Hooks shipman.

Just for fun see if you could get him to include either an eyepatch, one gold clip on earring, or the scarf Disney gives you the morning of pirate day after your bed has been made. Then because you enjoy dressing up, you can wear a little bit more and enjoy the cruises you most wish.

We don't. We are not even fans of the menu on pirate night so we choose to go to Palo that night. I have nothing against it. Glad people are enjoying themselves. It's just not our thing.

For example you could dress him in...

??? That's funny. I am SO not that husband that would allow my wife to dress me - and she knows it. I may occasionally ask "what tie?" but that's about it.

We don't. We are not even fans of the menu on pirate night so we choose to go to Palo that night. I have nothing against it. Glad people are enjoying themselves. It's just not our thing.
We will also be found in Palo on that night. However, I use the red and black bandana as a pocket square for my suitcoat/sportcoat, paired with a tie with red field and black Mickeys on it. As much as I ever dress “in costume”.

Do the grown ups have to dress up for the Pirate and Halloween parties they have on board if they have no kids along?
Well I think you have been offered on this question but your last question was never really answered.

my spouse can be a bit stubborn when it comes to things like this he rather not dress up for the deck parties and that.
Men.

But are clothes that you can wear that are not costumes that blend in with the theme?
So he could go with the pirate t-shirt as mentioned. Or, are you aware what “Disney Bounding” is?(it’s google-able) That’s where a person takes elements of the character and incorporate them in every day street clothes. For example you could dress him in a regular pair of black shorts or dress pants coupled with a black and white striped shirt or red and black stripe shirt. The strips can be wide or narrow, it can be a golf shirt or T-shirt. Whatever his little heart desires, but red and black match the color of the bandanna, black-and-white match the colors of The Pirate Smee, Captain Hooks shipman.

Just for fun see if you could get him to include either an eyepatch, one gold clip on earring, or the scarf Disney gives you the morning of pirate day after your bed has been made. Then because you enjoy dressing up, you can wear a little bit more and enjoy the cruises you most wish.
Great ideas. (Smee's shirt is blue and white stripes.)

We enjoy dressing up for Halloween and Pirate night. As others have said, you'll see people from one end of the spectrum to the other
Totally up to you and what you feel comfortable with
You do get a pirate bandana in your cabin on pirate night. That could be your extent of pirate garb.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter