• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do we really need water shoes?

MelissaE1

Truly believes in the Magic
We are going on the Eastern. We will probably go to the beach on St. Thomas and Anguilla, and Castaway Cay if it's warm enough.

I live near the beach and we spend a lot of time there, without water shoes. But I wasn't sure if my kids might need them on these beaches? Are there sharp or dangerous things in the water?

Also, anyone know what ocean life to watch out for or where I could get that info?

Thanks!

We just came back from new years eastern cruise (second time on this one) and depending on your excursion, you never know where you will end up and what the beach will be like. we were supposed to be at trunk bay where the sand is soft and white like sugar, but we ended up some place else with sharp rocks and coral and my son and i had small cuts alll over our feet. there is fire coral and fire worms that you have to watch out for and they warn you about on the excursions and some prickly kind of sea anemone, but they are not at castaway cay. I brought water shoes, but couldnt use them where we were since we had to jump off side of boat in snorkeling gear with fins. I could've have used them. If it hadnt been so cold at castaway cay, I would've used the water shoes although the sand in the water is not bad; adult beach has some few rocks. Barb

It's not the stuff in the water but the pavers on Castaway Cay get HOT !
Also, children should have footwear if they participate in the children's programs at Castaway Cay and water shoes work out best for that.

I would use them at Castaway Cay as well as anyother place. I had mine on last year and several people were at the gift shop buying them for alot more than a local store at home. The sand to me seems to be very hard and lots of cracked shells.

But I wasn't sure if my kids might need them on these beaches? Are there sharp or dangerous things in the water?
Well, I can't speak for the 7 day cruise, but on the 4 day Wonder we had an excursion to Blue Lagoon Island on Nassau day. All of us had water shoes on except my son. He's 15 and was just "too cool" to have me pack them. Well, I had read alot about what to expect on Blue Lagoon Island (btw, we had a great time there) but never read anyone mention the sea urchins ? Maybe I missed it ? There were alot of them towards the rear bank. Unfortunately the sea urchins were exactly where the best snorkeling was and my son was spooked out of the water because of them. Again, on Castaway Cay at the teen beach, he had some trouble with shells/coral. So, again, not sure how the islands are on the 7 day cruise, but I'd recommend water shoes.

I would really recommend taking water shoes. We got our REALLY cheap at Kohl's Department Store. We paid $11.99 a pair for OP brand shoes, but I've seen non-brand name shoes cheaper at Wal-Mart.

Hope this helps!
Ginny

I wish I had thought about buying them last summer. We can't find any at this time of year.:(

I wish I had thought about buying them last summer. We can't find any at this time of year.
If you have some time, the Target in Cape Canaveral had them in November for $4.99 each. There were lots there. The Target is perhaps 10-15 minutes from the port.

Thanks Maria, but we won't have a car. We're using a car service from WDW to the port.

Thanks Maria, but we won't have a car. We're using a car service from WDW to the port.
Do u think the car service would make a quick side-trip ? The Target is not far at all. Or, do u have any downtime where maybe you could take a cab ? There may even be closer stores to the port that sell them. There are alot of stores/restaurants on the main strip by the port. You might be able to find something. Good luck.

Linda,

Have you checked your local Target? I live on the FL Panhandle, which is much cooler than down south, and our Target had a ton of them the other day, much to my surprise.

It's about 30 degrees here tonight, much too cold for someone who lived in California for 30 years! :)

We didn't have any when we went on on our first cruise but I should have known better. If there's something sharp "out there" my feet will find it. And sure enough, I stepped on a sea urchin at Castaway Cay. We were just walking around in the water at the adult beach and I thought I was being real careful, watching my step. Obviously I missed one because I ended up stopping by the medic building on the way back to the ship. (There were several others there for the same reason.) So now I never travel without my water socks.

if this is you last day on vacation and you are returning home and have sneakers with you and cant get any water shoes wear your sneakers in the water or take an old pair with you...i saw several people wear them in the water...i even saw people wear bedroom slippers.

Maria, good idea! I think I'll go to my local Target today and see if they have any leftover from the summer. We used to have them for boating on the Colorado River but I guess they were thrown away.

I thought I would take our rubber flip flops as a last resort. I'm packing today!:bounce:

Check your local K-Mart as well - they're putting out a lot of merchandise that would normally be considered seasonal.

Our Wal-Mart just had the water shoes two pairs for $1.00!!! I was really tempted to buy some, but we already have ours!

I just got back from Target and no luck. I'll call K-Mart and Wal-Mart before I drive over there. Thanks everyone!

I called K-Mart and they said they have tons of them! I drove over there and they are $5.99 for adults, didn't check price of kids but they had plenty. Thank you so much, I would never have persued it. Now I really, really have to pack! Linda

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter