Do you answer your cell phone if the call is not from a contact?

Nope. But that's why I keep a landline, so I have a number to give out. Totally worth $5/month (the amount my Verizon would go down if I dropped it). Every internet order wants a number, so I have one to give out. I turn the ringer off for my home number unless I'm expecting something, like this weekend when I had a new mattress delivered.

If I ever ended up giving up my landline, I'd get a prepaid cell to have a phone # to give out for doctors, purchases, hotels, etc.
I use my old work number for this. The new person there probably hates me. These businesses have my email- they can email me. I will give out my phone number if I know for sure its necessary, but 95% of the time, its not.

I only answer if it is a contact or if I recognize the number. For internet orders, etc., I use our landline number. We have to have it for our internet, we pay $5.00 a month for it, but we unplugged the phone almost three years ago.

Generally, I don't answer my cell phone or my home phone if I don't recognize the caller. I always check for a voice mail, though. Because I teach preschool there may be numbers that I don't recognize. I have told them that if they call (especially during class), they will need to leave a voice mail because I can't stop what I'm doing to answer the phone but will check for a message when it's a convenient time to do so. (I've also told them that I prefer text messages over voice messages.) I'm thankful that my cell phone doesn't get too many calls.

I usually don't answer if I don't know who is calling, but, recently due to a few problems I have been trying to figure out so I have had to answer unknown calls. It has proven to be quite entertaining. Today alone I have gotten three phishing calls. One was telling me that my warranty was about to run out on a car that I haven't even owned for 2 years. Another was a lady from some church asking me if I was in dire need to have someone(s) pray for me (I might, but, I don't think they know that) and the third was to tell me that there was a problem with my current credit card and that I should call them immediately.

Had one on my computer this morning that made all kinds of noise and told me that Microsoft had frozen up my computer because of a dangerous virus and that I was to call a specific number and not to try to shut the computer down because it would erase everything on my hard drive. So I did the only thing I could, I shut down my computer and to my surprise, nothing was lost. That one I had seen before, but, man is it well done. It comes with siren type alarms that really sound scary, I'm sure it is directed at the elderly that have no real idea how the computers work so they are quickly talked into calling that number.

Also, I should admit I answer my phone for fun a lot too. I rarely get spam calls, but I DO get booty calls/texts for the gentleman who had the number before me. Tyrone is a very popular guy. Especially around the holidays, I get lots of "I'll be in town" type of calls. When I answer they're like "where's Tyrone, you his girlfriend?" and it can get pretty funny.
“ this IS Tyrone... well my name now is Tyrona... you see I had a sex change ...”

You are right, and I usually do. But I have found that most people do not listen to them, especially millenials.

The next issue I have run into, they don't even have their voicemail set up, or the mailbox is full so you can't leave a message.

If I'm not sure who the call is from, I will answer it if I can. I'm very glad I did this last month. My dad was in a rehab facility recovering from a broken hip. My cell number was first on the contact sheet. A nurse called me early on a Saturday morning to tell me he was having chest pains and that she had called 911. I usually recognize numbers from the facility, but the nurse must have grabbed her own cell phone to call me. My DH and I raced to the hospital, while calling my mom, sister and brother. We arrived first to find my dad had gone into cardiac arrest but was being revived. The charge nurse started asking me about his history and anything else that could help the doctor treat him. I also had to authorize them to place a central line and other procedures. The rest of my family started arriving about 20 minutes later. In this case, I was very glad I had answered that call. Over my dad's hospital stay, the nurses used cell phones to call with updates or questions. All of the numbers were different, so I continued to answer every single call I received. One morning, he was confused and refusing to wear a high-powered oxygen mask that was necessary for his recovery. His nurse called and asked if someone would come and sit with him and convince him to wear it. I was just arriving at work, but veered off to the hospital instead.

So yes, unless my screen says "Scam Likely" I answer my calls. It ended up working out for the best in this case. I'm very happy to say that a month later, my dad is back in the rehab facility, doing well in therapy and hoping to be home before Christmas. My job is to bring him the two things that make him the happiest: his grandsons and cookies!

LOL. See the previous threads about the trend among people who do not leave a voicemail, and never listen to their own voicemail. They just keep calling until someone answers.
Yeah that is why if I have reason to believe a call could be important I might do that but most businesses will leave voicemail and honestly for those that don't like leaving a voicemail that I am friends with they don't like to call either.

I hate calling people. I will do it when needed but at work I will go to someones desk well before I attempt to call. The only ones I call are those working in other offices. I don't check my work voicemail at all. There is no indication on our phones that I have a voice mail so I just never think to.

I don’t have call display, so no one comes up as a contact.

Of course, only about 5 people have my cell number, so it’s almost always someone I know. My home number is still my primary number.

These threads are head scratchers for me. What happens when someone who never answers their phone calls someone who never answers their phone?

I generally answer anything I can't readily identify as a scam call. And yes, I know they disguise them in all sorts of ways. But our son lives out of state. Before that he was away at school. I worry about missing a call from someone I don't know if something happened to him.

If I'm not sure who the call is from, I will answer it if I can. I'm very glad I did this last month. My dad was in a rehab facility recovering from a broken hip. My cell number was first on the contact sheet. A nurse called me early on a Saturday morning to tell me he was having chest pains and that she had called 911. I usually recognize numbers from the facility, but the nurse must have grabbed her own cell phone to call me. My DH and I raced to the hospital, while calling my mom, sister and brother. We arrived first to find my dad had gone into cardiac arrest but was being revived. The charge nurse started asking me about his history and anything else that could help the doctor treat him. I also had to authorize them to place a central line and other procedures. The rest of my family started arriving about 20 minutes later. In this case, I was very glad I had answered that call. Over my dad's hospital stay, the nurses used cell phones to call with updates or questions. All of the numbers were different, so I continued to answer every single call I received. One morning, he was confused and refusing to wear a high-powered oxygen mask that was necessary for his recovery. His nurse called and asked if someone would come and sit with him and convince him to wear it. I was just arriving at work, but veered off to the hospital instead.

So yes, unless my screen says "Scam Likely" I answer my calls. It ended up working out for the best in this case. I'm very happy to say that a month later, my dad is back in the rehab facility, doing well in therapy and hoping to be home before Christmas. My job is to bring him the two things that make him the happiest: his grandsons and cookies!
And that is exactly why I continue to answer my calls. I'm so glad your dad is doing better!

Generally speaking, no, I won't answer. I figure if its important it will go to voicemail.

Yeah that is why if I have reason to believe a call could be important I might do that but most businesses will leave voicemail and honestly for those that don't like leaving a voicemail that I am friends with they don't like to call either.

I hate calling people. I will do it when needed but at work I will go to someones desk well before I attempt to call. The only ones I call are those working in other offices. I don't check my work voicemail at all. There is no indication on our phones that I have a voice mail so I just never think to.

I have always walked to a co-workers desk rather than call. Always felt it was stupid to call someone who is within my sight. Not wanting to call is a very common thing now. I just don't get why. I just had to FIND a company cell phone to text a Public Information Officer who would not answer her phone, had a full voicemail box, and who we were meeting up with at 430 am

I have always walked to a co-workers desk rather than call. Always felt it was stupid to call someone who is within my sight. Not wanting to call is a very common thing now. I just don't get why. I just had to FIND a company cell phone to text a Public Information Officer who would not answer her phone, had a full voicemail box, and who we were meeting up with at 430 am

This is a bigger building so most of the time the coworkers are on a different floor but still I like the excuse to leave my desk for a bit. That and I think its easier to be understood that way. If I have a super quick question that would be better for the phone... its probably doable by IM.

My bosses and most of my core team have my cell phone number (not a company phone but I trust most of them to only message me if its actually important) and will message me there if they need something right away.

This is a bigger building so most of the time the coworkers are on a different floor but still I like the excuse to leave my desk for a bit. That and I think its easier to be understood that way. If I have a super quick question that would be better for the phone... its probably doable by IM.

My bosses and most of my core team have my cell phone number (not a company phone but I trust most of them to only message me if its actually important) and will message me there if they need something right away.
Our building is only 1 story, but 2 blocks long. My Doctor suggests it's a good idea to get up every 20 minutes or so and stretch your legs for a minute. We have IM, e-mail, an internal message system in our main software, Slack, a phone extension and some have company cellphones. I don't think I have used IM for at least 5 years, and rarely use the internal messaging system. But it never fails, if I e-mail, they wait forever to open it, same with Slack, or voicemail. But if I do a face to face, I KNOW I have communicated.

Yes, I almost always answer.

When I was growing up my Dad was given 3 months to live due to heart disease - he lived 6 years. When he wasn't at home, I would wait for "the call" or when I was at school I would wait for someone to come get me from class. It was a way of life. Fast forward....my son drives an hour to school, my daughter drives 30 minutes to her job and on some days my husband drives 45 minutes and my in-laws are in their 80's. It's just been something I've never been able to un-train myself from doing. I would hate to miss a call because I didn't know the number or didn't want to be bothered.

On a positive note - my daughter just won a trip from iHeart radio. They call three times and move on to the next person if you don't answer. She was probably a ring or two on her third call away from missing the trip!

My new phone has call screening, so when an unrecognized number is calling, I can have the assistant answer it and watch the transcript of the call. If they identify themselves as someone I will talk to, I can answer.
OK, cool technology, but it would be more of a time suck than actually answering the phone and then hanging up when you realize it's spam.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter