Do you/Did you ever watch a soap opera?

When I was I kindergarten, i would come home and my mom would be watching Young and Restless.
Search for Tomorrow.

I go on and off now watching GH. I used to also watch One Life to Live.

At night time Dallas and Knots Landing back in the day.

Your right, no sweet blonde heroine ever cried more bitter tears than Alice! Her main obstacle was needy villainess Rachel Matthews, then played by a fascinating young actress named Robin Strasser, who my granny really liked.

I used to love soap operas. I remember watching As the World Turns with my Grandma.

I watched Dark Shadows, remember I could hardly wait to get home from school so I could watch it.

And when I got married I was a stay-at-home mom and watched Love of Life, Search for Tomorrow, The Young and the Restless, One Life to Live and General Hospital. Eventually gave them all up, Young and Restless was the last one to go.

Another World ran from 1964-1999. Steve and Alice were one of the first soap “super couples”.

I adored Steve & Alice! I would always rush home from school & barely made it to see the beginning of Another World. I remember years before that tho, my mom watched 'Love of Life'. That one is/was so old that there were no actual rooms. All the set was just black. The door frames were white & just hung there & the furniture was just there against the black back drop, lol. Every once in a while you could see the door frame sway a bit, lol. I started watching All My Children with the first episode. My first child was born around the same time Erica Kane's first was born. Hers grew by leaps & bounds while mine just aged year by year......

When I was a kid I remember my mom watching As the World Turns, Days of Our Lives and Another World. In high school I watched the Young and the Restless and All My Children

To the day she died my mom faithfully watched Young and the Restless and General Hospital

Yes.
Spent a summer with my Nana and Papa. Papa would be at the store until 4 or 5:00 PM and Nana would spend her morning up until time to bring Papa his lunch, watching a medical setting sp ( The Doctors? The Hospital?) followed by Another World whilst she ironed clothing; during commercials she vacuumed. She used to talk to the TV same as when she listened to the radio on Sunday morning before she went to church but the words were different. For the soap operas it was all teeth sucking and mutterings of "Jezebel" and "Why don't you listen to your mother?!". For the radio sermons it was "Hmmhm", "Praise the Lord" and "Yes, Jesus". For the Catholic raised grrlie I was this was allll a revelation:lmao:

Next soap opera I watched was.....Dark Shadows which was all the rage. Run home from school, do some homework and then sit there glued to the boob tube letting Barnabas, Angelina, and Quentin have at it.

In the mid to late '70's it was Poldark on Masterpiece Theatre shown on Sunday nights. Lots o' bosom heaving and scowling.

Finally, I finished any need for soaps with Dallas in the late 70's, early '80's. After the "Who shot JR?" season I turned the TV off and went back to reading.

My grandmom was known for this too. She'd be watching Another World and she would tell Rachel or Missy or Alice or Aunt Liz or Lee or Mary to shut up, like she'd tell the preacher in church "amen" or "praise the lord" in a service. Did anyone of you tell a character on a soap to shut up?

Last edited:
General Hospital many many many years ago. Happened to turn it on one afternoon I happened to be home from work. I couldn't believe the character Anna Devane was still on!!! She looked just about the same. I was shocked. LOL
I watched GH 25 years ago and then started again 2 years ago when I was sick and spending time recuperating. I was so surprised to find old characters still on: Anna, Monica, Bobbie, Lucy. I was immersed in the story within about 2 weeks. Now I record it and watch it at night! Back in the day I used a big VCR and the same tape over and over again to record and watch the week!

Historical soap opera data:
Search for Tomorrow; Santa Barbara; Another World; Days of our Lives; General Hospital. Sadly, I stopped watching Days & GH around 10 years ago but the fond memories will live on in my heart forever! Side note a/b Another World: I wrote sooooo many letters to NBC protesting the cancellation of Another World! It’s a funny memory for me now thinking about how passionate I felt about it back then. As you all know, my letters didn’t work :(

I started watching Passions when it debuted over summer holidays and my sister and I were home alone all day. We tried to keep up when we went back to school but we didn't get home until partway through the episodes. We stayed loyal until we moved into town while our house was remodeled and now we were lucky if we saw the last 5 minutes of the episodes. A friend who watched daily helped up keep up but eventually we dropped it. It's still the only soap I've ever watched although our mom used to be hooked on whichever one Susan Lucci was on.

I loved Passions (1999-2008). I never missed an episode on NBC, but I couldn’t see the final year it was on Direct TV. I only have 3 soaps in their entirety on DVD, Dark Shadows, Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman and Dynasty, but I would get Passions if it were available.

Quite a few over the years!

General Hospital during the Luke and Laura years

Guiding Light

Capitol (half hour soap set in Washington DC)

The Young and the Restless

The Bold and the Beautiful

Days of our Lives

As the World Turns

DooL and AtWT were the 2 I followed the longest. If AtWT was still on the air, I would probably still watch. I loved Oakdale and its residents.

I think the one time my grandmom was so mad at Rachel was when Rachel crashed Alice and Steve's engagement party with the news that she was carrying Steve's child. i can hear her grinding her teeth while Rachel spitted her venom at Alice.

This thread just brought back a memory. My mother watched All My Children and one time I was home sick from school I watched along with her.

The haughty Phoebe Tyler was lying in a hospital bed and the the food attendant brought her dinner. Phoebe sneers "What's that?" "Ham with raisin sauce" replied the worker. "Eww, they look like insects and they probably are!!" snorted Phoebe. For some reason that made me LOL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter