Do you/Did you ever watch a soap opera?

I remember watching Days of Our Lives with my mother in 1967 when I was off school for a month with a health problem. I remember how nasty Julie was to Susan who was pregnant with David Martin's baby (David had been Julie's boyfriend but he was a louse). Then after the baby was born, he put a one or two month old baby on a swing and it fell off and died. So Susan killed him.

When we lived in Montana in the early 90's, I'd get up early in the morning, around 2 or 3 AM and watch the Canadian feed for the soap operas on our satellite (we had a big dish and there was no such thing as DirecTV at the time and small dishes).

I watched:
Days of our Lives
All My Children (never watched The Chew once because ABC replace AMC with the Chew)
The Doctors (remember Alec Baldwin as the good looking young doctor and Kathleen Turner as his girlfriend/wife, Nola)
General Hospital
Young and the Restless
Dark Shadows
and there was a Christian soap opera that I watched on the Canadian feed, but I forget the name.

I always hated when they invoked SORAS, Soap Opera Rapidly Aging Syndrome. The kid went off to boarding school about seven and returned the next year as a 17 yr old teen. I remember thinking some of the older characters were great, great grandparents.

Another Life, the Christian soap, ran from ‘81-‘84.

I didn’t watch it as I was in college and already trying to keep up (pre-VCR) with 5 network soaps. (The Doctors, Search for Tomorrow, Days of Our Lives, The Young and the Restless and General Hospital.) Thank God for Soap Opera Digest!

When I was 10-12 years old (I think, it's all a bit fuzzy), our FAVORITE soap was the Australian one about a women's prison-Prisoner: CellBlock H. We used to race home from school to catch it. There was Bea, who was the prison "Boss," Lynn Warner, who was innocent, and Frankie. Sometimes we could hardly understand what they were saying, but we hung on every minute.

I watched All My Children for about 5 years. ‘99 - ‘04. Started watching it senior year of high school when I was out of school for a few weeks due to an appendectomy and watched through college.

Lol! I remember Cell Block H back then, my older sister watched it for a little while when it first started. I didn't watch that much but I think we used to laugh about "Bea". I was around 11 yrs old, so my mind is fuzzy on it as well. I haven't thought about that in ages!! :upsidedow

Also, never watched a day of "The Chew" for the same reason...All My Children was the first soap I ever watched and it had been the soap my mom, sister and I had watched for many years.

I remember watching Days of Our Lives with my mother in 1967 when I was off school for a month with a health problem. I remember how nasty Julie was to Susan who was pregnant with David Martin's baby (David had been Julie's boyfriend but he was a louse). Then after the baby was born, he put a one or two month old baby on a swing and it fell off and died. So Susan killed him.

When we lived in Montana in the early 90's, I'd get up early in the morning, around 2 or 3 AM and watch the Canadian feed for the soap operas on our satellite (we had a big dish and there was no such thing as DirecTV at the time and small dishes).

I watched:
Days of our Lives
All My Children (never watched The Chew once because ABC replace AMC with the Chew)
The Doctors (remember Alec Baldwin as the good looking young doctor and Kathleen Turner as his girlfriend/wife, Nola)
General Hospital
Young and the Restless
Dark Shadows
and there was a Christian soap opera that I watched on the Canadian feed, but I forget the name.

I always hated when they invoked SORAS, Soap Opera Rapidly Aging Syndrome. The kid went off to boarding school about seven and returned the next year as a 17 yr old teen. I remember thinking some of the older characters were great, great grandparents.

My grandmom watched:

The Doctors
Another World
Days of our Lives
Young Dr. Malone
From These Roots
Our Five Daughters
Moment of Truth
How To Survive A
Marriage

There two other soaps she watched called Morning Star and Paradise Bay. The later was unique because one of the storylines involved the daughter Kitty yearning to join a rock band. She was played by Heather North, who also was on Days of Our Lives.

I watched:
Days of our Lives
General Hospital
Young and the Restless
Dark Shadows

My grandmom used to tell Julie to shut up too! I guess she didn't like Julie like she didn't like Rachel on AW.

No, but apparently I should.

My husband is named Jason Morgan, and My name is Samantha.

Ocasionally when a fan of the show notices our names they tell us that they think that is “so cool”.

LOL

There is a NZ hospital soap that plays every week night at 7pm since 1992.
I watched for a quite a while and stopped watching when we went away on holiday for 5 weeks and came back and too much had happened for me to follow, all of a sudden someone had dies, 2 people were married out of nowhere someone was pregnant and there were new people. I didn't have the time to catch up on that many episodes

I remember my mom used to watch The Secret Storm And Edge of Night- this was back in the late 60s, I think.

I used to sneak and turn on Dark Shadows when I was supposed to be watching Sesame Street as a little kid. Barnabus Collins scared me! My kindergarten teacher's name was Mrs. Collins- I thought she was a witch (I loved her, she was a wonderful teacher and was really young and pretty with red hair, but that name...).

I grew up watching All My Children, One Life to Live, and General Hospital. When I was young, GH was my favorite. I had the biggest crush on Jesse. I was so upset when they killed his character off. Then in HS I preferred AMC - loved Tad and Dixie. After HS I didn't have time to watch them any more. My mom still does so if I go over there midday I'll watch a little bit. It's crazy how many of the same characters/actors are still on them. It cracks me up when an actor that left after playing one character comes back to the same show playing a different character, and I'm very surprised I still recognize some of them lol!

My grandmom had always watched the NBC shows, but switched to All My Children, One Life to Live, and General Hospital in the late 70s. That meant she stopped watching The Doctors and Another World, which she had watched for years.

Yes.
Spent a summer with my Nana and Papa. Papa would be at the store until 4 or 5:00 PM and Nana would spend her morning up until time to bring Papa his lunch, watching a medical setting sp ( The Doctors? The Hospital?) followed by Another World whilst she ironed clothing; during commercials she vacuumed. She used to talk to the TV same as when she listened to the radio on Sunday morning before she went to church but the words were different. For the soap operas it was all teeth sucking and mutterings of "Jezebel" and "Why don't you listen to your mother?!". For the radio sermons it was "Hmmhm", "Praise the Lord" and "Yes, Jesus". For the Catholic raised grrlie I was this was allll a revelation:lmao:

Next soap opera I watched was.....Dark Shadows which was all the rage. Run home from school, do some homework and then sit there glued to the boob tube letting Barnabas, Angelina, and Quentin have at it.

In the mid to late '70's it was Poldark on Masterpiece Theatre shown on Sunday nights. Lots o' bosom heaving and scowling.

Finally, I finished any need for soaps with Dallas in the late 70's, early '80's. After the "Who shot JR?" season I turned the TV off and went back to reading.

my grandmom watched Another World for years. but in 78, she watched One Life to Live before AW. Alice from AW was on OLTL. and the little boy she had was killed by a car! then the next year, the lady that was in the car(played by the lady that later on was Angela Robinson Bower on Who's The Boss) confessed in court! Later on, the lady who was the *original* Rachel on AW was Dorian on OLTL.

Another one i remember was Kate, who had her wedding interrupted by Tina, who was played by the sister of the lady who played Marlena on Days. Kate later was on Merlose Place.

Kristoff St.John aka Neil Winters of Young and Restless was found dead in his home today.

Another one i remember was Kate, who had her wedding interrupted by Tina, who was played by the sister of the lady who played Marlena on Days. Kate later was on Merlose Place.
Andrea Hall is Deidre Hall’s sister (they’re twins) and to the best of my knowledge she never appeared on OLTL. Tina was most famously played by Andrea Evans who is not related to Deidre Hall, who still plays Marlena Evans on Days. Maybe that’s where the confusion comes in.

Well, I'm Dad. I use to work 7-3 and when I got home from work, my girls were home from school watching Bold and the Beautiful. Next thing I know, I'm getting home late and I'm like, "Wait, you watched B&B already? What happened between Liam and Stephanie?" LMAO!

I can't remember if anything was going on with those 2, but Liam, Stephanie, Brook, Hope, Ridge, Wyatt... see, I know all the characters, LOL. Also know that Hope left the show, but I'm divorced now and last time I went out to the house to get the girls, I think Hope is back and there's a new girl playing the part, not nearly as good looking as the first Hope was though :D. Caroline is a cutie though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter