Do you do the Dining Plan

We bought WL 1st resale, then added on thru DVC directly. We were lucky, they had points in our UY the day we called! Now, all we need is CR to come thru;) .

IMO, the CS meals are huge but, the fancier the TS, the smaller the entree (like most fine dining establishments we frequent). Although I've seen some pretty big steaks @ WDW.

Unfortunately, the child menu often determines where we eat using the DP. I won't have to work around it next year but, will have to pay full price for youngest DS. Do wish they'd have a junior category instead of the jump to adult @ age 10.

Supposedly, most of the menu boards (even @ snack carts) now indicate what is allowable as a DP snack. The only time we experienced confusion was when we used the CS's as breakfast @ AS food court. It certainly was not a good usage of the credit, they were very limited in what we could order.

Enjoy!

BWVNUT said:
Your family sounds like mine! :goodvibes While I was doing my ADRs and trying to research menus, etc. for CS meals depending on which park we'd be in on which day, I was looking at child meals and thinking the very same thing - that I'd prob end up eating child meals so my kids could eat more. Some of the child meals don't seem too substantial - (i.e. I noticed quite a few pb&js). Our 13 yo DS of course is on adult plan so that's no worry - but our 6yo DD eats more than he or I do sometimes - so I figure we'll prob be doing a combo - her and I sharing, etc.

We just bought into DVC around the same time you did. You bought at both places at the same time? We bought two small Boardwalk and one bigger Boardwalk - I'm starting to think we should have done one small one atWL instead of one of the Boardwalks - maybe some day. . . or we'll just stay there some time. . . before we take another plunge. . .

I notice someone else said with desserts you could get a packaged cookie or something to go - that sounds like a great idea as well. . .

Thanks for your help!! :thumbsup2

lbrutledge said:
So when you order an app. an entree and a dessert at lunch, and then again at dinner, do you actually eat all of that? I just can't imagine eating that much. And yet I am always preaching to my sons that there are starving people all over the world, so not to waste food, so I wouldn't want to just throw a bunch of food away. I don't know if I will being the DDP just for that reason alone-it just seems like to much food.

You don't get an appy with CS and some of our TS are buffets so it's really not that much food and we don't really waste anything. Maybe a bite here or there, that's it.

Oh and I have a great figure. I don't have a big waistline, just a big appetite.

Subscribing to the thread b/c I'm still trying to decide... Thanks for the replies!

rinkwide said:
Ever notice some of the waistlines at Walt Disney World?

Oh my, yes. When we were there in Feb we noticed quite alot. It was rather sad, really, to see the number of people riding on those scooters because they could not even walk due to their size....

keishashadow said:
We bought WL 1st resale, then added on thru DVC directly. We were lucky, they had points in our UY the day we called! Now, all we need is CR to come thru;) .

IMO, the CS meals are huge but, the fancier the TS, the smaller the entree (like most fine dining establishments we frequent). Although I've seen some pretty big steaks @ WDW.

Unfortunately, the child menu often determines where we eat using the DP. I won't have to work around it next year but, will have to pay full price for youngest DS. Do wish they'd have a junior category instead of the jump to adult @ age 10.

Supposedly, most of the menu boards (even @ snack carts) now indicate what is allowable as a DP snack. The only time we experienced confusion was when we used the CS's as breakfast @ AS food court. It certainly was not a good usage of the credit, they were very limited in what we could order.

Enjoy!

WOW; you were lucky to find the same UY so quickly! Good for you!! CR would be pretty cool; wouldn't it?!

You are right about the CS - in Feb (not on DP) we actually ended up sharing a lot of CS meals bec. we did a character meal everyday and knew we'd be eating a lot - so that worked out well.

A junior category would be really great would make it easier for DD6 who wouldn't eat as much as an adult portion all the time, but would need more than the child portion.

Have you seen the snack credits thread yet? I've been checking them out to keep track of new stuff on the list that aren't in the disney package apparently. . .
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1109080
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1101230

I like the fact that the carts will indicate this - that would make it so much easier.

Best, :goodvibes

lbrutledge said:
So when you order an app. an entree and a dessert at lunch, and then again at dinner, do you actually eat all of that? I just can't imagine eating that much. And yet I am always preaching to my sons that there are starving people all over the world, so not to waste food, so I wouldn't want to just throw a bunch of food away. I don't know if I will being the DDP just for that reason alone-it just seems like to much food.
Only the TS meal includes the app, entree and dessert.
CS is a combo meal (think burger and fries) or entree (think pizza or salad) and a dessert (many items are cookies, brownies, fruit, a slice of cake, etc.)
Snacks we dont' always have one everyday-but a diet coke and popcorn would be considered 2 snack credits.
Not hard to use the pan and not overeat.

OP sounds like you are like us--we always do breakfast in the room. the CS can be used for lunch in the park or dinner if you chose to use the TS for a sit down lunch. We alwyas plan on grabbing lunch whereever we are on a particular day, so that works out well for us. I plan a TS for nearly every night, so the DP works for the way we eat!

We used the plan the first week of May and yes, it is easy to see everything that is a snack now. You won't believe all the things that have that happy little sticker in the BC Marketplace and I'm sure all the DVC stores. It is however not everything under $4. There are exclusions

We are going to try it again next trip I think. My DH wants to for sure. It was good value. We still used our DDE card for adult beverages as well as restaurants during the non DVC part of our trip. That is when we hit a couple signature restaurants. Also used it at B&C.

We are not used to doing many CS meals and have to do more research on those. That is my reservation about using it again.

Has anyone been on the dining plan when travelling with others who were not on the plan?

We are going in December with two other families - one staying offsite and one at Shades of Green. I assume neither is eligible for the DP.

Would it be awkward at TS meals if we were the only ones on the plan?

Thanks for all the replies

The DP was great for us last year because DS was only 2 years old so we would always get appetizers to feed him etc and there was plenty of food to share. Now when we go he will be 3 and I just can't imagine all that food.

This trip was just DH and I. The dining plan technically saved us money - but only because we forced ourselves to eat! Really, it's too much food. We planned our ADR's for table services, and used our TS's up, but had a tough time using the CS's. Also, I think we made ADR's for restaurants to "try" becuase we had the plan...and I was disappointed in most of them. I'm glad I didn't pay full price for them!

For the most part, I will get the DDE card, and do the food the way we always have - breakfast in our room, one larger late lunch, and snacks until later in the evening when we will do something small.

I think it's the appetizers/desserts that did us in - we actually walked away from desserts in France - and forced ourselves into them the rest of the time. What a waste of food!

Just our opinion, but when we return, we won't do the DP again. Because I don't think saving the money justifies throwing away the food...and that is what happened to us!

Mrs Potato Head said:
This trip was just DH and I. The dining plan technically saved us money - but only because we forced ourselves to eat! Really, it's too much food. We planned our ADR's for table services, and used our TS's up, but had a tough time using the CS's. Also, I think we made ADR's for restaurants to "try" becuase we had the plan...and I was disappointed in most of them. I'm glad I didn't pay full price for them!

For the most part, I will get the DDE card, and do the food the way we always have - breakfast in our room, one larger late lunch, and snacks until later in the evening when we will do something small.

I think it's the appetizers/desserts that did us in - we actually walked away from desserts in France - and forced ourselves into them the rest of the time. What a waste of food!

Just our opinion, but when we return, we won't do the DP again. Because I don't think saving the money justifies throwing away the food...and that is what happened to us!

You are not alone. We were just there for 2 weeks and used the DDP. Yes, alot of food that we don't usually eat. And yes, the CS were the hardest. But fortunately for us, my daughter and family arrived for the last 6 nights and helped use up the CS credits and snack credits (and even a few TS credits). We will do it again, but mostly because whenever we are in WDW, we usually catch up with friends and/or family, so know we can hand them our card to use for the credits we can't use. If we had to use all of our credits by ourselves, then we too would rethink doing it every time. Maybe some trips, but not all. We still like having a bite in the morning in the room, but most mornings I was not hungry after dinner the night before. Mid-way in the trip, we started bringing our deserts home after each meal and the frig was filling up. We did bring the 6 brownies home, but had to throw the whiskey cake away (it didn't travel well). I think I will pace myself a little better next time. I do like being able to choose anything on the menu and not think about the price. The only food we wasted was the deserts and that was a crime, but there was not room for them..

I think you'd have to save a lot of money with the DDE card to justify it's expense up front.

I used the DDP last week and think it's great! It is a lot of food...no one should walk away hungry and I too took deserts to go. Timing of meals is important and as far as some saying they didn't eat the snack portions, I could always get a soda or a h20 to take back to the room if I didn't eat something at the parks. The day I flew home, I got a muffin (as my snack) and ate that on the plane. It's just nice knowing you can eat for a specific amount per day, if you want to. I think, unless you eat extremely lightly, it's a very good value.

I will be trying it this summer. It sounds like a good deal. The nice thing is that I have an 11 year old , 13 year old , 15 year old and it costs a fortune for us now because they no longer qualify for kids meal. Now we can let them get that 25.00 steak and desert wiith out cringing. My hubby and I also share lots of meals (this is our way of dieting :rotfl2: ).(not buffets ofcourse) Does anyone know if we can do this?

Just returned from SSR (2 adults, 3 kids) and did the dining plan...now we will only do the plan when we stay at a DVC resort. There was SO MUCH FOOD and we were (happily) able to bring much of it back and keep in the fridge.

As for snacks...the new policy is anything under $4.00 (pre-tax) that is non-merchandise and non-alcoholic.

At SSR, for example, you could get a FULL SIZE (think "family size") bag of chips, doritos, etc. Other snack items included muffins, haagen dazs bars, mickey bars, croissants, danish, HUGE cookies, etc. Also, those cookies and muffins count as dessert items. So, we would get counter service lunch or dinner from Artists' Palette and get a muffin or criossant as part of the inclued dessert...and viola...breakfast for the next morning.

As others have said...it makes table service wonderful...you can try restaurants you might otherwise never try b/c of price.

fkj2 said:
I think you'd have to save a lot of money with the DDE card to justify it's expense...
With 20% off adult beverages Dean Martin would've broke even in one sitting.

I am a newbee, I have a couple of questions, I would like to inquire about the DDP through the DVC, like how you go about it and what it entails.... Also I will be needing to rent some points for an October visit is it possible to rent points for a visit Sun through Thur and (because its cheaper through resee's) book Fri and Sat directly through disney. Any help would be greatly appreciated :bounce: :bounce: :woohoo:

rinkwide said:
With 20% off adult beverages Dean Martin would've broke even in one sitting.

You've got a point. I (personally) just wouldn't consume enough "adult beverages" to justify the DDE card.

We haven't ever done the Dining Plan and don't believe we will due to the ages of our kids (at least not for a while). Our youngest DS6 barely eats anything and honestly wouldn't eat $10.00 worth of food daily. I know it's hard to believe, but he really doesn't. Our DS10 can eat kids meals, but wouldn't ever eat enough to justify the adult price. Our DD13 is also a light eater. So for us, we'd probably not save any money using it. Now if DH and I went alone - you better believe we'd get the Dining Plan. I'm not sure how the two of us, who love to eat, could have possibly brought these three picky and light eaters into this world!

letsgodisney said:
I am a newbee, I have a couple of questions, I would like to inquire about the DDP through the DVC, like how you go about it and what it entails.... Also I will be needing to rent some points for an October visit is it possible to rent points for a visit Sun through Thur and (because its cheaper through resee's) book Fri and Sat directly through disney. Any help would be greatly appreciated :bounce: :bounce: :woohoo:

To participate in the dining plan just tell MS that you want to add it to your ressie. Then, upon check in you must pay for the dining plan in full: the price for the Dining Plan is $37.99 per adult per night and $10.99 per child per night. Children 10 and older pay the adult price. Children under 3 do not pay and may share from an adult's plate.

So you need to do the math for your length of stay and traveling party.

For example, if you have 2 adults and 1 child (age 11) and 1 child (age 8) and are staying for 5 nights, the total price for the Dining Plan would be $37.99 * 3 * 5 + $10.99 *5 or $624.80

You get one CS meal, one TS meal and 2 snack credits per day....

In order to rent points, there is rent/trade board here on Dis - I would suggest you use that board to find someone to rent from...

Good luck!

Sounds like people are really planning ahead and calculating how their own family would specifically use the plan.

That is what we did --- In our case, 2 adults and twin 4 year olds... it did NOT make sense... we figure we spent 1/2 the money on food - mainly due to the kids not eating very much. We would have wasted a lot of food due to them not eating.. and sometimes we adults didn't eat too much either!

We also discovered that the kids did not like or want some of the food on the plan.. the mac and cheese was too cheesy... (and it just looked like easy-mac) there were items they would just not eat (you know how picky kids can be!)

DS got used to the pb&j - though I was very disappointed to see it was a pre-packaged sandwich since DS wanted just peanut butter with no jelly. All the prepackaging was disappointing. Something simple like wanting to have whole wheat bread - not pressed white bread - Oh well! :confused3 Eventually, they got pretty tired of hamburgers and hot dogs :sad2: I actually had a hard time finding chicken nuggets.. (perhaps my fault - but when you need to eat - there's no crossing the parks!) The biggest consumption they did all week was the big box of Mac & cheese that I made in our villa... DS ate almost 4 bowls! ;)

Even with breakfast at Cinderella's castle - we still saved a lot of money... Other breakfasts were in the villa, and one amazing $8 dinner for all 4 of us at Taco Bell. Hey, you have to have some variety!

Also, consider if you will spend a day outside of WDW... we usually do that for at least one day. How will that impact your spending of credits?

I think if our kids were teens, sat well at a restaurant, ate large amounts of food - it would really be a smart move.. just not right for our family right now..

Every family will be different... just take a look at some of the menu's and you should be able to make the right decision for yourselves!

Enjoy!
:bride: :groom: princess: :wizard:
(we just returned 2 days ago.............)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!