Do You Enjoy Haunted Attractions Like Scare Houses?

I don't know if I've ever been to one or at least a good one. Next year we are planning on a night at Universal's haunted nights for one night during our Disney trip. I think it will be a fun evening, the two teens really want to go and my Dd11 says she's going to be scared but still want to go!

If they're the caliber of Halloween Horror Nights, then yes. Anything else is typically cheesy and cringeworthy.

I'm not talking about actual supposed haunted locales, like the McPike Mansion in Alton, Illinois. I'm talking about the special effects-heavy attractions, where you pay an entrance fee, walk through the sets, and have actors jump out and scare you. Like at Halloween Horror Nights and whatnot.

I love those types of things, and I wish I had the money that I could do more than just one per year. One of my goals for when I win the lottery/get a book contract is to go to HHN.

I don't care for the actors getting up in my business, though. Not because it scares me, but because I hate being a part of someone else's act.

I like scary movies. I like real haunted house stories. I like to go to haunted houses at Halloween. I do jump and scream a lot. But then laugh. I also like ghost tours- we went on one in Charleston SC once that was excellent. If we ever go to SC again, I'm definitely doing that again!

Curious, what's your book about? Is it something scary?

I love them. We've always had some good ones in the Dallas area. The best though was when we traveled to Philadelphia and visited the scare attraction at Eastern State Penitentiary and also checked out Bates Farm. Good stuff.

I can't do anything like these this year though. I still have too many physical limitations.

No way! I've never been to one, and I hope never to have to enter one. I am a huge scaredey-cat.

One of my first memories was of my mom pushing me in a stroller at the WI state fair, screaming and crying at the "scary houses" on the Midway. I think I must have only been about 3 years old. I also remember crying when we left the fair after dark, because there was a big Frankenstein figure all lit up near the parking lot. He had his arms stretched out in front, slowly moving up and down, with broken chains hanging off of them. I freaked out!

The first time we went to WDW in 1973, I cried my way through the Haunted Mansion- my awful big brother tricked me into riding.

We go to a family run one, daughter loves it but screams her hed off. Going to miss now that she is in colege. Other daughter does not like to be scared.

Only if I have someone tall to hide behind lol. Universal Studios in CA had this Mummy walkthrough years ago...I basically hid behind my 6’2” Dad the whole time and shrieked at every little thing.

DH is a foot taller than me. He's my meat shield....

Love them! First time I went in Disneys Haunted Mansion I was so disappointed that it was not scary at all! I like the ones you walk through and people jump out at you.

Yes I like them. They're ok but my kids love it. A big group of us are going to Night of Terror next week. It's here in NJ and has 6 attractions (haunted hay ride, haunted house, etc). We also did Freight Fest at Six Flags last week. Funny enough I'm not a fan of Halloween.

Curious, what's your book about? Is it something scary?

Haven't actually written one, I'm just waiting for a publisher somewhere to notice my superb writing and offer me a contract, lol.

I've written about four paragraphs of my Great American Novel, Civil War II. Unfortunately, I think there will probably be a real Civil War II before I get the book written.

I'm not talking about actual supposed haunted locales, like the McPike Mansion in Alton, Illinois. I'm talking about the special effects-heavy attractions, where you pay an entrance fee, walk through the sets, and have actors jump out and scare you. Like at Halloween Horror Nights and whatnot.

I love those types of things, and I wish I had the money that I could do more than just one per year. One of my goals for when I win the lottery/get a book contract is to go to HHN.

I don't care for the actors getting up in my business, though. Not because it scares me, but because I hate being a part of someone else's act.

Going to HHN with my son is on my bucket list!!! I really want to do that! He's 12 now, and I told him we might be able to do it as a graduation present - gives me plenty of time to save up! ;)

Even the ones at Halloween Horror Nights were disappointing, but I think that was mostly because of the crowds and that the line never stops so you see that person 10 people up jump and you know it's coming.

We have a local amusement park that changes to a haunted theme every October, called Scarywood (original park is named Silverwood). It is cheesy and hokey and SO MUCH FUN!! :rotfl2:The recommended age is 13 and up, but I took my son for the first time last year when he was 11. I was really nervous about it, hoping I wasn't going to scar him for life. One of the main reasons for the age limit is a few of the attractions have R-rated language, so that wasn't a concern for me, but my son (at the time) was not a big fan of pop out movies, and this is basically one big pop out attraction after the other. Therefore, as we were going through the attractions, my only concern and attention was for my son in front of me and how he was doing. I could see every scare actor pop out at him, and was so focused on him that even if a scare actor did pop out at me, my reaction was pretty much, "Yeah, yeah, very scary, now go away!" :rotfl2: You're right, though, it definitely takes away the scare factor when you know it is coming.

We are going for two nights this year, one to ride the rides (they run our local roller coaster backwards... I can't wait to ride it backwards and in the dark!) and then another night to do all the houses. He wound up loving it last year, so this year we made a pact with each other that no matter how cheesy it is, we are going to get in to the full spirit of things (no pun intended!) and just be scared and have a great time. I can't wait. I know I don't have many more years with him where he will be willing to go to Scarywood and be cheesy with his mom, so taking full advantage of it while I can!!

It kind of creeps me out. I worked at one for our Jaycees years ago and it freaked me out being in it!! Lol!

There is a new one here this Halloween that looks creepy as ever. You are blindfolded the entire time and not allowed to speak. It takes an hour to get through and the disclaimer is that it can cause extreme psychological anxiety! WTH, why would I want to do that?!

I don't love them. I went to this one http://www.hundredacresmanor.com/ last year and also last night. Last year I was so scared that sometimes when I screamed I didn't even recognize my voice. I used a lot of very serious profanity last year. I have no idea why I agreed to go back. This year wasn't nearly as scary. I'm not sure what the difference was. This year I didn't scream at all and only swore a little. I did physically hide behind him once though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter