Do you ever get "where's that?" when you tell someone where you're from?

Bring your appetite. It’s always the last full weekend of July.

[agree with what BCLA said, other than the festival and shopping there isn’t much to do there. Moved away for grad school and haven’t really returned. Too expensive to live and not the sand community once everyone moved there as a cheaper alternative to SJ. But us relatively close to Santa Cruz and Monterey which I miss]

Seriously - I've worked on and off in Silicon Valley and I've seen how some workers have made their commutes longer and longer. Morgan Hill used to be considered a less expensive alternative, but then that became Gilroy. Some are taking the ACE train from places as far away as Tracy or even Stockton.

I don't find anything wrong with Gilroy, but it is what it is. The same could be said for most of the cities in Santa Clara County.

if asked where originaly from it's easy-napa california. people might not know exactly where in california it's located but they have the mental pictures of the touristy stuff.

When we lived in WA we lived in a rural area on the Idaho border. For those in the state we’d just say Pullman or ‘Washington State University ‘ and people had an idea. These days when people ask what part of WA we lived I just say on the Idaho border 2 hours south if Spokane. They’ll have no idea so why give more detail?

yup, if it's someone out of state we always have to make sure to say 'washington STATE' or they assume it's d.c., then they assume it's seattle ('oh seattle-the space needle, cool'). then we try to explain that no, we are on the other side of the state which is still somewhat a lost cause.

I live in a small town just outside of Philly that very few people outside of the area have heard from, so yes. Philadelphia where I was born and raised, no. In fact, I've had a couple of people ask me if I'm from Philadelphia based on my accent.

I too am from a small town outside of Philly (Chester County). But oddly enough, people ask me if I from
Boston because of how I talk. I’ve never even been to Boston! But at Disney World I’ve had a few employees call me out because of the whole wooder / water thing! I’ve actually had a Disney World employee recognize my sweatshirt because I work for law enforcement. He said his family still lives in my county that I work for.

I too am from a small town outside of Philly (Chester County). But oddly enough, people ask me if I from
Boston because of how I talk. I’ve never even been to Boston! But at Disney World I’ve had a few employees call me out because of the whole wooder / water thing! I’ve actually had a Disney World employee recognize my sweatshirt because I work for law enforcement. He said his family still lives in my county that I work for.

Strangely enough I've been there. We were visiting friends in Chester Springs, and took Amtrak from NYC to Exton. Then we took SEPTA/NJT back to NYC from Paoli. During the trip we went to Longwood Gardens and stayed overnight in Malvern. Of course before I visited I would have said I'd never heard of any of these places.

Yes. 30 miles west of Lincoln, (NE). Live in a smallish town, 5000 people that most if you're not from the state would have heard of.

If someone asks from Long Island I tell them the town
If someone aks from the city I tell them Suffolk county
Outside of the area I say Long Island but have now added Long Island New York since not everyone knows where Long Island is

Same! Hello fellow Suffolk County, Long Islander. :flower3:

I had a summer job where one of out regional contacts was in Lenexa. We always referred to it as “our KC office”. I met a college athlete who was from the Kansas side, and his team was going the the national championships that year in KC. His family was going to help, and he was talking about which barbecue joint was going to cater for the team.
BBQ is big around here :) . I live right by Lenexa and actually lived there for 18 months in a rental house; in-laws (one set of them) used to live there too until this past year when they moved). Wonder which team the person you knew was referring to.

Yeah calling something "KC/Kansas City" office/location, etc is pretty common. Generally speaking though if the business isn't actually located in one of the cities you're going to be referring to the Metro name itself.

Having just gotten back from STL visiting my husband's family for a Christmas thing I got to thinking about this thread and wondered if the STL metro has a lot of the same responses we get here in KC since it's also between two states (MO and IL) and also has St. Louis County, the city of St. Louis and is called in part STL metro.

BBQ is big around here :) . I live right by Lenexa and actually lived there for 18 months in a rental house; in-laws (one set of them) used to live there too until this past year when they moved). Wonder which team the person you knew was referring to.

Yeah calling something "KC/Kansas City" office/location, etc is pretty common. Generally speaking though if the business isn't actually located in one of the cities you're going to be referring to the Metro name itself.

Having just gotten back from STL visiting my husband's family for a Christmas thing I got to thinking about this thread and wondered if the STL metro has a lot of the same responses we get here in KC since it's also between two states (MO and IL) and also has St. Louis County, the city of St. Louis and is called in part STL metro.

I do remember the East St Louis joke from National Lampoon's Vacation. The one that the director wished he'd never filmed.

They need to teach geography. I was talking to a support tech in California When I told him I was in Chicago he said "oh that's on the east coast." When I told him it was on the southwest shore of Lake Michigan he didn't have a clue where that was. I was tempted to tell him he needed a passport to visit.

They need to teach geography. I was talking to a support tech in California When I told him I was in Chicago he said "oh that's on the east coast." When I told him it was on the southwest shore of Lake Michigan he didn't have a clue where that was. I was tempted to tell him he needed a passport to visit.

Sure it wasn't in India?

I always just say a suburb of Atlanta. Most folks have heard of Atlanta. LOL

If they ask where I grew up that one is sort of hard. Because I lived in PA until my parents dragged me kicking and screaming to a tiny town in MN which no one has ever heard of. And there isn't another big town near it to say I am from that town either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter