Do you ever make a reservation at a restaurant only to drop it later?

So, my wife and I are just about to fly back in a few weeks for the Food & Wine Festival. We always try to mix in one or two new restaurants with a few of our favorites. There are, however, a few restaurants that I just can't seem to pull the trigger on - for whatever reason ( Yachtsman, Boathouse, Il Mulino, Flying Fish). I book and then drop at the last minute for a restaurant I know well. My question is two fold does anyone do this as well - and, if so, did you finally just keep the reservation and were so glad you did - which restaurant?

You still need to cancel within the restaurants cancellation policy which is normally 24 hours before or you will be charged a $10/person cancellation fee. The Boathouse and other DS restaurants are also on OpenTable and their cancellation policy is much more relaxed. We usually set our dining plans ahead of time so some else could dine where we aren’t.

We booked BOG for 2 different days while we discussed our meal plans. We finalized our plans and dropped one of the reservations a day or two later. We just wanted to make sure we had a reservation there.

We booked skipper canteen twice before it finally worked out. First time, we had a snack during the afternoon that left us all feeling overly full and not good. Second time, DH and DD got completely drenched by rain while sitting at the end of splash mountain - they didn't get wet on the drop. They were way too wet to stick around for dinner. Finally had a nice lunch there the next day - made the reservation on the way to the park.

We decided to try Via Napoli last year instead of our regular meal at Chefs de France but when we got to Epcot and I walked by Chefs I could taste the Gratin de Macaroni and had to change the reservation.

Yep. Sometimes when making ADRs I don’t even know how many of our kids are coming with us or on which days. I make a few reservations based on the possible trip scenarios and then cancel what I don’t need. But I have never held them until the very last minute except for once. I always cancel once our flights and park tickets are secured so by FP time. I don’t like the thought of someone else trying to get a reservation and they can’t. But one time we were halfway through a trip and we were so stuffed from buffets I did drop Tusker House lol. We just could not eat another big meal.

I shift restaurant all the time during the waiting period between booking and actually being there. Nothing while Im there though. Once my plane takes off, my plans are final!

Did the make and drop a few times with the following restaurants:

M. Paul, and Chefs de France. I know many of the cuisines of France very well and frequently wondered if either restaurants would live up to my expectations. Didn't help that the Pavilion's crepe cart's wares used fillings that are too sweet and overstuffed. Very glad we finally ate at both establishments!

Saana took forever because both the man and DGD were having issues with either the taste or smell of curry. It's now become a favorite.

We don’t do many sit down meals. But we book a lot of them. I’ll cancel in time so we don’t get charged. But we book in case we decide we want to eat there during our day in that park or a resort day. In the end. We will use one of the reservations. Cancel the others.

So, my wife and I are just about to fly back in a few weeks for the Food & Wine Festival. We always try to mix in one or two new restaurants with a few of our favorites. There are, however, a few restaurants that I just can't seem to pull the trigger on - for whatever reason ( Yachtsman, Boathouse, Il Mulino, Flying Fish). I book and then drop at the last minute for a restaurant I know well. My question is two fold does anyone do this as well - and, if so, did you finally just keep the reservation and were so glad you did - which restaurant?

Yes. On our last few trips, we've had later leaving flights than we used to, and I keep thinking we're going to do a big breakfast at one of the resorts on our last morning. (I think last time, it was supposed to be Cape May.) But then during the trip, we realize we want to go back to a particular park, or do something at Disney Springs, or whatever...and we cancel a couple of days out.

I would feel guilty if I was booking double reservations, intending to cancel at the last minute, because I wouldn't want someone else to miss out because I was covering my bases. But since we actually planned to go, and then didn't have time, I just figured someone else was able to snag a last-minute reservation, and I hope they enjoyed it!

Not intentionally, because that takes away a reservation from someone else. I have made reservations and then changed them based on FP, but I only book what I think I will use.
Yes - us too. We book it and then for whatever reason decide to go with a tried and true!

Yes. On our last few trips, we've had later leaving flights than we used to, and I keep thinking we're going to do a big breakfast at one of the resorts on our last morning. (I think last time, it was supposed to be Cape May.) But then during the trip, we realize we want to go back to a particular park, or do something at Disney Springs, or whatever...and we cancel a couple of days out.

I would feel guilty if I was booking double reservations, intending to cancel at the last minute, because I wouldn't want someone else to miss out because I was covering my bases. But since we actually planned to go, and then didn't have time, I just figured someone else was able to snag a last-minute reservation, and I hope they enjoyed it!
Believe me, we have every intention of going when we book. It just seems if one of those restaurants are on the docket for an upcoming trip - we end up dropping it and going with a different ADR. Just can't seem to pull the trigger.

Believe me, we have every intention of going when we book. It just seems if one of those restaurants are on the docket for an upcoming trip - we end up dropping it and going with a different ADR. Just can't seem to pull the trigger.
I usually have to "start over" because of FoP or other hard to get FP. I had great luck using Mouse Dining getting back all the ADRs I had to drop after FP booking. I have also been able to get a last minute ressie the day before because of the 24 hour cancellation policy.

Since ADR day opens before FP day & because park hours often change....yes, I've been known to cancel or change ADRs. Its people like the OP that make it possible to book hard to get ADRs the day before for people like me...so thanks!

There's no location that I'm not so scared as to not try at least once...but, of the OPs list, I will say Il Mulino was a one & done for me, unless possibly I was staying at Swan & going downstairs to dinner outweighed the experience.

I find many of the restaurants over hyped on the Dis & just leads to disappointment.

If you're gun shy, then plan to book just one or two new locations to try & space them far apart during the trip. Then they'll neither make or ruin your trip. Enjoy!

One trip, DH looked at me on next to last day & said 'what, no Mickey waffles this trip?' I didn't know this was a thing...made last minute last morning ADR for cape may...
I will say, DH doesn't love WDW but goes occasionally for my sake. His least favorite part is saying 6 months out on a Tuesday night at 7pm, he's going to want Mexican food.

Last edited:
Yes. In the initial planning stages I'll make a few "possible" reservations and generally end up moving or cancelling them when our plans get more concrete. We mostly stick with our favorite restaurants, so it's hard for us to commit to a new place. We originally had a reservation for Narcoossee's (we've never been) for our upcoming trip, but reviews are so-so and we ended up cancelling to do a day of F&W and end the night with the Frozen Dessert Party.

All. The. Time. Our dining plans changes thirty times between reservation day and when we actually go, sometimes even when we are onsite. I will say that we eat at the Boathouse almost every time and we really like it. One note though, we pay OOP (we always get the dining plan) as, while the food is excellent, it (and I would argue most) isn’t worth two credits.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts