Do you factor in gratuity on a buffet?

NS1983

Earning My Ears
my family and I are discussing getting the dining plan this trip and trying to decide if it worth it for us. Most of us don’t think it is. I was figuring approximate costs of the places we want to go with/ without the dining plan. We were discussing Boma and I was factoring in tax and gratuity. My mom says she doesn’t think you factor in gratuity on a buffet because your serving yourself. So how does it work there? What do you all suggest?

Tipping is always voluntary, but generally it is common to factor in a gratuity for a WDW buffet, as there is a server who will bring beverages and clear plates during the meal. A typical buffet gratuity is usually less than a full TS gratuity by about 5% or so. So if you would normally tip 20% at a TS, factor in at least 15% for a buffet. I usually just factor in the same gratuity as TS when doing initial estimations to make the calculations simpler.

Buffets can be tricky as far as gratuities. I know there are some places outside of Disney where the entire meal from start to finish, including beverages, is self service, and in those cases a gratuity is not always warranted. But at Disney, it’s more of a hybrid setup where you do have a server interacting with you, just not as much as a TS experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter