Do you get better service at Deluxe resorts?

Do you get better customer service at Deluxe resorts?

• Total voters

Bob Dolewhip

DIS Veteran
Is there a little more pixie dust to go around if you stay in a Deluxe resort? Are the CMs a little more helpful? Do you feel like there is a difference when you pay more or is the Disney magic abundant no matter what price point your hotel is?

The amenities are much better, IMHO, but the service has been the same. With more amenities there are more chances to deliver stellar service. The Values don't have Signature dining so thats an opportunity lost. Same with bars at the pool and servers from what I remember; I think the Deluxes just offer more chances to wow.

At WDW we have stayed at the AoA, POR, OKW, SSR Treehouses, Jambo, and Kidani. At Disneyland we have stayed at all three of the Disneyland Resort hotels.

The amenities are much better, IMHO, but the service has been the same. With more amenities there are more chances to deliver stellar service. The Values don't have Signature dining so thats an opportunity lost. Same with bars at the pool and servers from what I remember; I think the Deluxes just offer more chances to wow.

At WDW we have stayed at the AoA, POR, OKW, SSR Treehouses, Jambo, and Kidani. At Disneyland we have stayed at all three of the Disneyland Resort hotels.
Values have pool bars.

I only have 1 WDW trip to base my opinion on, but the service we had at AKL was much better than at ASMusic. I've had a better check in experience at Motel 6 than what I got at ASMusic on June 9th.

We have stayed mostly deluxe with a few mod and the CMs were great no matter the level.

I've stayed at all levels and have always noticed a slight difference depending on level. However, on our trip a few weeks ago, going from All Star Sports for 3 nights to Poly for 5 nights we noticed a HUGE difference in CM friendliness, help, and overall service. The entire staff at Sports from the front desk, to the food court CMs, to the gift shop CMs all seemed to be working a job they hate. Not one smile or friendly greeting. Actually felt like we were bothering them. The only CMs at Sports that were the least bit friendly were the Bellhops. Pretty much every CM we encountered at the Poly were happy, smiling, friendly, helpful. Just enjoyable to be around and chat with.

Not better service per se but there seem to be CMs around deluxes to make the stay feel a little more special if that makes sense, characters of the resort so to speak. That plus better amenities and more vacation feel make deluxes worth it for us.

The only place I've ever had bad service was at BW. We've had great service everywhere else at all the various levels.

I was amazed by how wonderful all the staff was at Pop Century the three consecutive years we stayed there. I didn’t really expect the level of service we got for the prices we paid.

We have only stayed moderate (4 trips) and now deluxe 1 trip (AKL) and I noticed no difference in service. What I did notice was there seemed to be more CM's at AKL and everyone there seemed to go out of their way to check and make sure we needed nothing and the African employees were just great, talking about the animal and explaining things to the girls.

No difference in attentiveness of CMs based on how much you pay to stay. They don't put "better" CMs at the Deluxe resorts. You get good CM and bad CM at ALL levels of resorts. They are spread everywhere, nowhere is exempt from getting a bad one and they won't refuse to place a good one at a Value resort. So for that reason, of course it's the same everywhere.
There is however, a difference in how Bell Services operates at the Value resorts. That's the only difference I've ever noticed.
Now, I have noticed a difference in the quality of things like toilet paper and towels between the Value resorts and the Deluxe resorts. But that's not what you asked about.

At our stay at Yacht Club last February, the first cast member we dealt with was great (since I had magic band issues and our room was dirty, got all that resolved), the second was not so great (was less than helpful getting issues with my ticket resolved), and the third was great (got my ticket issues resolved that the second one didn't). All these were front desk employees. So if it varies that much from employee to employee, I wouldn't put much stock in the thought that CMs are "better" at one resort versus another.

If you're going to splurge on the outrageous pricing of a Deluxe, do it because you want to be close to a park and have access to amenities/restaurants. The CMs aren't a perk. You can probably get equal or better service off-site.

We had outstanding service at POR, and it was no different than the equally phenomenal service at all but one of the deluxes we stayed at (we had one deluxe with consistently bad service from everyone from the bell services, front desk, concierge desk, restaurant servers, and managers, so we won't be back to that one, since with so much bad service there had to be an issue there with the workplace culture). I think that in most cases, it is less about the resort category and more about luck of the draw in terms of who you encounter and if they are having an off day. It's the same thing with restaurants: you can have an amazing server at Tony's and a dreadful one at Jiko (real example for us), but maybe that is an isolate incident and you have to look at the experience as a whole.

We like the deluxes because the rooms are larger and nicer, they all have easy access to at least one park, and the ambiance, pools, landscaping etc. have more of a resort feel.

I think that the overall experience anywhere other than the value resorts is night & day different. We've had better service at moderate resorts, but I agree with others that it's the overall experience that makes it worthwhile. I've stayed at several moderate resorts, especially when our kids were younger, & several moderate resorts. I understand the cost difference, but I still don't know if I would ever stay at a value resort again. There is that much difference in the experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter