Do you give to beggars?

Locally I know the locations of various agencies which help and will direct people to them and offer to help them find them or walk there with them, etc as needed. I know that there is good help locally and that most of the people asking are choosing not to use it (and some are not homeless). We live in a heavy tourist area and there are not a lot of people asking, but a couple of the ones who do have been in the same places for as long as I have lived here---I imagine it is pretty lucrative for them.
Once in a while my intuition will tell me that someone is legit and unusual and I give---worse case scenario I guessed wrong, but maybe i help someone.

There were a LOT of people asking for money when i was in Columbus, OH recently. I legitimately did not have cash on me, and told people that and offered to pick up a soda/coffee/snack/meal nearby with my credit card and bring it back if they wanted. 3 gentlemen took me up on my offers--I sat on the sidewalk and had a soda and chatted with one. It was a well populate area, I did not feel endangered and I felt he was someone who had fallen through the cracks. It was actually fairly pleasant and he seemed to truly enjoy being treated like a regular person and having a cool drink on a warm day.

Offering to buy food/drink was pretty much my go to resposne in Chicago/Detroit etc back in the day as well. Not many want it, but I figure those who say yes, even if in actuality they could afford it, well it's not so bad to provide anyone with that simple stuff.

Last edited:
There’s also a lot of hipsters begging. Completely capable young people with dreadlocks and tattoos who collect your money and then go buy lattes at Starbucks.
Saw a lady begging with a sign one time. Behind her sign I saw her texting on her cell phone.
Count me among the jaded masses.

A few months ago I read about the begger situation on BART in the SF Bay area. Lots of scamming going on, and it appears to be organized. A local news team followed a group over the summer to gain more insight into who the scammers are. Apparently a number are "gypsies" who have decent vehicles and housing, that do this as a job. Here's one of the articles.

I don't, it's hard to know the right thing to do.

I take a train to work in Chicago, so I see the "regulars" asking around the train station. Most are nice and friendly and I'll offer them a hello. But I've seen too many times when they are given food, they walk over to the trash can and throw it out.

I've seen the same woman for YEARS hold a sign saying she's 6 months pregnant and needs money for food.

I've seen men come on the train asking for a dollar to give him enough to buy a train ticket, and once someone gives him money, he moves on to the next car and asks again (until the conductor kicks him off)

I can't fathom what it would be like to be in that situation. I want to help, but I also don't want to enable them to continue to make poor choices.

I work is a beach city so we get a lot. I was talking to the local police and they said all they need to do is say they need help and they can get one year housing with meals, as long as they look for a job and stay off drugs and booze. Few take the offer. The interesting part comes when they start battles over corners, like some think they have rights on a corner. Some are clearly mentally ill, but there are a lot in their 20s who seem to want to just bum it.

Nope, never. Having worked outside on the streets of downtown Philly for years, I learned that people begging like that are either scamming or want the money for drugs.

Not directly. I give to organizations and do things like adopt a family for the holidays.

I work is a beach city so we get a lot. I was talking to the local police and they said all they need to do is say they need help and they can get one year housing with meals, as long as they look for a job and stay off drugs and booze. Few take the offer. The interesting part comes when they start battles over corners, like some think they have rights on a corner. Some are clearly mentally ill, but there are a lot in their 20s who seem to want to just bum it.

A year ago while on my commute home while stopped at a light I watched two guys move from shouting across an intersection at each other to fist fighting over who got the better location. The ones at this particular intersection seem to rotate, but even then it's usually a core group.

Yes. At least some of the time.

I'm not going to question how they use the money. That's not my place.

I can totally understand that but I have no problem questioning (to myself) how they use the money. Years ago dh's good friend died of a heroin overdose. I don't know if that person begging for money is going to use it for drugs but I'm not willing to chance enabling them if they are.

I can totally understand that but I have no problem questioning (to myself) how they use the money. Years ago dh's good friend died of a heroin overdose. I don't know if that person begging for money is going to use it for drugs but I'm not willing to chance enabling them if they are.
I also look at it like I’m not judging how they use the money, but rather I don’t give b/c like so many have said that I’m jaded & it’s more about if they even need the money or they’re just scamming. I don’t understand when ppl say that it’s not for them to judge how they use the $. Within reason I can see this. But, those who say this are cool with it being used to buy herion or other drugs? I don’t get that. I can see saying you give them the benefit of the doubt that they won’t do this & do truly need the $. But I don’t get saying you don’t care if they buy drugs.

I also look at it like I’m not judging how they use the money, but rather I don’t give b/c like so many have said that I’m jaded & it’s more about if they even need the money or they’re just scamming. I don’t understand when ppl say that it’s not for them to judge how they use the $. Within reason I can see this. But, those who say this are cool with it being used to buy herion or other drugs? I don’t get that. I can see saying you give them the benefit of the doubt that they won’t do this & do truly need the $. But I don’t get saying you don’t care if they buy drugs.
Because I don't question how anyone else spends the money I give them. I've given cash to various petsitters throughout the years as well as different neighbors who cut my grass. How do they spend that money? None of my business. The woman who delivers from the local Chinese restaurant seems to be strung out on something, but I'm not going to withhold her tip in case she's going to go later to buy drugs. Heck, maybe the pizza guy gets high after work. Does that mean I should stop tipping him too, just in case? Once I've decided to part with my money I can no longer control what happens to it. The financial choices of other adults are not my business, and I believe I should extend that same dignity to the homeless and not attempt to micromanage their spending like I would a child.

I don't give money as a direct handout, never have. Food or whatever help they are asking, yes I might, if it is safe for me. When I was pumping gas last month a teenage boy approached me and asked for a few dollars for gas to get to work. He seemed panicked and distressed. His eyes were red and puffy, like he was crying. I didn't know what to think, but he looked absolutely pitiful and desperate enough. He was wearing a red shirt with a name tag on it so it made me think he really was going to work. I asked him what pump he was at and how much he needed to get to work, then went inside the station and paid for his $10 gas. The look of relief on his face when he thanked me profusely -- at that point I felt relieved myself that I was able to help. To me he seemed authentically in need of help. I just don't get that vibe from the others that approach me (the ones holding homeless signs, etc.).
This probably would have gotten me too. I have a soft spot for the young and the elderly. FWIW by your description it sounds like he really was just a panicked kid who needed a hand.

I have had good and bad experiences in these types of situations. I try to pay attention to my gut and also the person asking. Most scammers even ones who have been doing it for years forget to complete the picture. All grunged up but brand new shoes. Filthy clothes but squeaky clean hair and fingernails. Texting on the latest smartphone. Sometimes I give, sometimes I don’t. It depends on the situation.

Because I don't question how anyone else spends the money I give them. I've given cash to various petsitters throughout the years as well as different neighbors who cut my grass. How do they spend that money? None of my business. The woman who delivers from the local Chinese restaurant seems to be strung out on something, but I'm not going to withhold her tip in case she's going to go later to buy drugs. Heck, maybe the pizza guy gets high after work. Does that mean I should stop tipping him too, just in case? Once I've decided to part with my money I can no longer control what happens to it. The financial choices of other adults are not my business, and I believe I should extend that same dignity to the homeless and not attempt to micromanage their spending like I would a child.
I think the things you gave as examples are different. You are paying them for a service. The other is strictly for charity. I don’t think it’s any different than ppl saying that they don’t give to charitable organizations unless they know how their $ will be spent. So would you be ok donating to a charity & not know if it’ll be spent on some rich CEO’s salary? Personally, to me, it’s not about “micromanaging” but about feeling comfortable that my limited resources will be used effectively. There are too many charities to support that will use my $ wisely. Sadly, I don’t have enough to support all charities so I choose to spend my $ where it will help not enable. I know we can’t always know if ppl will spend the $ on drugs or not so I can understand the notion of giving & hoping they use it wisely, but I don’t understand not caring at all if they use it to buy drugs. Would you really not be bothered if you gave someone $ & watched them turn around & buy drugs with that $?

A few months ago I read about the begger situation on BART in the SF Bay area. Lots of scamming going on, and it appears to be organized. A local news team followed a group over the summer to gain more insight into who the scammers are. Apparently a number are "gypsies" who have decent vehicles and housing, that do this as a job. Here's one of the articles.

There is a huge media push in our area also not to give to people with cardboard signs on street corners. Most are not homeless, they are scammers. On one undercover report, they got one of the scammers to admit he made upper middle class tax free wages standing on a street corner "begging."

I follow the instructions and donate directly to the homeless shelters and food banks in the area.

I try not to, although occasionally I do. I live outside Portland Oregon and we have a serious problem with transients here. I have lived here for nearly 30 years and I've never seen it quite like it is now. I've read about people who quit life and move to Oregon to be homeless. It's disheartening, because I actually would like to help some people. But at the same time it's really destroying this area, people spend over 450,000-750,000 to buy a house in the city, just a regular house and then they have people shooting up in the next lot or pooping in their drive ways. I just don't want to be part of the problem. I do give money to shelters in the winter.

another scam thats very common here in my home city

You know the Oliver Twist story of a Fagan and his gang ofpickpocket kids? Well here in my home city there are modern day Fagans.

An adult, usually a woman, will work with a child. The child is usually dressed shabbily is sent into a cafe or restaurant and goes table to table asking people to sponsor them for a school fundraising event. This is totally illegal and the adult knows this. The child is used to play on peoples emotions, usually in the tourist areas, where non local people dont know that it is illegal. The adult keeps watch for the restaurant or cafe staff and the child gets as much money as they can in the shortest time possible.On a signal from the adult, the child will just disappear into the crowd and they meet up on the street and off they go to the next Starbucks.

Two answers:

1. I don't give money, but I do keep packs of cheese crackers, granola bars, or peanuts in the car, and I give those to people on the corners. I figure everyone can use food, and those things wouldn't be easy to trade for drugs or alcohol.

2. My kids used to attend a youth event every couple weeks at a downtown church (near a Salvation Army shelter and a library), and for a while homeless people were in the parking lot as we arrived /left and were asking for money. The pastor instructed us parents NOT to give money (because they didn't want to encourage these folks to hang out in their parking lot /try to get into the church to sleep -- but they gave us cards to give to anyone who approached us. These cards gave the hours that the church office was open and promised that the pastoral staff would listen to people's individual needs and would provide help. Once the homeless people started to see the cards, they stopped coming to the parking lot. To me, that said they didn't want honest help.

There are so many homeless people living on the streets in my city. Some are gypsy scammers and if I think they are scamming I will not give money to them. However, there are so many people that are homeless due to mental illness or extreme life circumstances and far be it from me to judge. I'd rather give money and risk be scammed than not give to the needy. It's just few bucks at the most, not my life savings. It could be anyone of us out on the streets from circumstances beyond our control, one very bad decision or a mental health issue. When I look into a homeless person's eyes, I see my own father, mother or children despite the fact none of them have ever been homeless, far from it.

I think the things you gave as examples are different. You are paying them for a service. The other is strictly for charity. I don’t think it’s any different than ppl saying that they don’t give to charitable organizations unless they know how their $ will be spent. So would you be ok donating to a charity & not know if it’ll be spent on some rich CEO’s salary? Personally, to me, it’s not about “micromanaging” but about feeling comfortable that my limited resources will be used effectively. There are too many charities to support that will use my $ wisely. Sadly, I don’t have enough to support all charities so I choose to spend my $ where it will help not enable. I know we can’t always know if ppl will spend the $ on drugs or not so I can understand the notion of giving & hoping they use it wisely, but I don’t understand not caring at all if they use it to buy drugs. Would you really not be bothered if you gave someone $ & watched them turn around & buy drugs with that $?
Actually, I'm far more concerned with how charitable organizations spend their money than I am any random individual on the street. I would be much more upset to learn an organization had exploited vulnerable populations in order to take advantage of the kindness of its donors so that a few at the top could get rich than I would to know the homeless guy didn't spend the $5 I gave him in the most responsible way.

I'm not blind to the realities of homelessness. I interacted with the homeless on a daily basis when I worked in DC and my DH spent many years working for one of the largest homeless outreach programs in the city that provided medical, dental, housing, and job training. I understand there's a disproportionate number of homeless people suffering from addiction and/or mental illness as compared to the general population. But just because that's true doesn't mean that every homeless person is just trying to get their next fix and I'm not going to refuse a small handout based on what someone might do with it. Would I purposely give someone money to buy meth on the spot? No, because that drug scares me and I wouldn't want to be the one responsible for supplying something that might kill someone. Weed? Eh, not my thing but it's halfway legal at this point and would it really bother me that much? Alcohol? I don't know, is the guy a raging alcoholic or does he just want to indulge in a cocktail like anyone else? Cigarettes? Well, those used to be my vice and I have given them to homeless people before. Soda, fast food? Gee, shouldn't he find something more nutritious to spend my money on? I'm a vegan -- If I give him money will he spend it on a ham sandwich? See, It just gets ridiculous to even go down this rabbit hole of analyzing what someone may or may not do with my spare change. I'm not going to waste the mental energy on it. I see giving to a stranger to be a small act of kindness on my part and not much more. I'm not in the habit of trying to predict who might spend the money how and whether those few dollars are used for something helpful or harmful, it's such a small amount it's unlikely to make much of an impact either way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter