Do you go see residential Christmas house lights?

Yep, we go every Christmas eve, just drive around areas that we know put up fun stuff. There seems to be more houses every year, so it's tough to pick where to go since we don't want to be out all night!

We used to drive around years ago, but we've noticed there are fewer houses putting up lights each year in our neighbourhood/city. Maybe we need to move.

We did it as kids. Hated it then, not going to do it now. We are taking the kids to the local botanical garden to see their lights but we’re not driving around for hours with cold hot chocolate.

Even though I'm one of those people who puts on a larger display, we don't make a regular habit out of touring houses. We have done it some and certainly have interest, but we don't spend time driving all around. We'd rather go look at a "professional" one. We don't get a ton of people visiting our display, at least not yet, only a small handful. Mostly because I don't "advertise" it much. I'm certainly proud of my display, but compared to most who are into this hobby, mine is quite modest and basic so it's not one that people will stop and watch for long periods. I just let word of mouth spread and more and more people will at least stop by to take a peak.

Absolutely. We have a few neighborhoods around us that go all out, some even get police directing traffic. We usually go park nearby and walk around with our son in his stroller.

My favorite though is to go to some of these neighborhoods after dark and do a run. It is very nice running around looking at Christmas lights, especially if it is snowing.

In Lancaster NY there is a developement that almost every house is decorated. It is called Stony Brook Shines. It started with households donating to a charity and they would decorate the trees in front of their house with white lights and has expanded every year. Many houses have expansive and elaborate decorations. Some weekends houses will have hot cocoa for a donation. I miss living in the neighborhood because it was so festive and brought the community together for a great cause.

http://www.stonybrookshines.com

Usually, yeah. Like others, we often just randomly detour around different neighborhoods. There is one house that does a full display with music synched in to music - that one, you stop and watch the whole show (it's usually like 10-15 minutes). They raise money for charity and are often outside passing out candy canes to everyone as well. :)

I like spotting the houses dressed up in lights when I take a bus at night time. Don't do it specifically for the lights though, but it makes it more interesting :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!