Do you have a medical marijuana card?

aristocatz

DIS Veteran
Do you have a medical marijuana card?

Did you get it from your primary care doctor or a special doctor? Did you need a referral?

How difficult was it to obtain?

How confidential is it? As confidential as any other prescription? Does anyone have access to your name when you register?

Thanks!

It really depends on where you live as to how difficult it is to obtain. I live in California, and it is super easy to obtain. I'd recommend searching medical marijuana doctors on Yelp and reading reviews to get an idea of the price and customer service. Many clinics offer walk-ins, but I'd suggest making an appointment. You fill out a questionnaire, then are examined by a doctor who just goes over why you think you need a medical marijuana card (having anxiety/insomnia doesn't necessarily guarantee a card - they are more likely to issue for physical pain). Then they write a letter and sign off, and that is your "card" (you can choose to also have a card printed, but it's more vanity, the doctor's note is what dispensaries need). Then as far as obtaining marijuana, you would go to a dispensary where you become a member. You always need to show your state ID, but typically you only need to show the letter the first time you go.

They do add your name to some sort of registry so that a police officer could look you up to see if you are a registered medical marijuana patient. But it's not something that would appear on a background check for a potential employer.

LittleMissMagic has good info. I live in Washington, where marijuana is legal, you don't need a card, just a drivers license showing you're at least 21 and some cash! That said, I just wanted to chime in and say, in case you weren't aware, that an employer's regulations trump a card. For example, even though it's legal in my state, I work in a drug-free workplace that randomly screens and marijuana would count as a fail. Just keep that in mind if you work for a place that has a drug-free policy.

Here in Maryland it's legal but not really possible to get. I suppose you might be able to get a card but there are no dispensaries in our state. It's been legal for 4 years and still no one can actually buy it. It looks like maybe sometime in 2018 or it could even be later. :(

What I'd like to see is full recreational use like Washington, Colorado, and other places.

I wish. Missouri is still behind the times when it comes to doob, but we're working on getting a full legalization (like Colorado) initiative on the ballot for 2018.

As for privacy: you've heard of HIPAA, right? Well, in states where medical marijuana is legal, they had to update their HIPAA training and policies to include medical pot as well. So a lawyer drew up some boilerplate language that could be inserted into any policy with a simple copy & paste. They call it the "HIPAA Pot Among Us Clause."

Depends on your state. It took months and $ for my mom to get one, she finally got it, got an appointment (3 months in the future and there is a dispensary 3 miles away), she died 2 months before her appointment. Thank God pot is so easy to buy illegally!

Medical MJ cards are a JOKE! Anyone can get one. Most do not have a legitimate need but just want to "medicate" and think it allows them to do it anywhere, anytime.

And that is what it was intended to be. It was just a means for pot heads to get a foot in the door.

For the record, I have no problems with someone who is terminally ill and in pain that just wants to get high. But call it what it is.

And that is what it was intended to be. It was just a means for pot heads to get a foot in the door.

For the record, I have no problems with someone who is terminally ill and in pain that just wants to get high. But call it what it is.
Cancer patients use pot to help with debilitating pain and nausea, nothing else comes close to helping. It helps with MS, Parkinson tremors, seizures, cataracts... my mom was very anti drug (never even took opioids). Finally sh3 was just so sick from chemo, that she took the advice a a former cancer patient and smoked it. She said it was an absolute miracle! She only smoked a little, one or two hits at a time, in order to be able to function. They make edibles that are miracles for kids.

Cancer patients use pot to help with debilitating pain and nausea, nothing else comes close to helping. It helps with MS, Parkinson tremors, seizures, cataracts... my mom was very anti drug (never even took opioids). Finally sh3 was just so sick from chemo, that she took the advice a a former cancer patient and smoked it. She said it was an absolute miracle! She only smoked a little, one or two hits at a time, in order to be able to function. They make edibles that are miracles for kids.
Admittedly, I don't know a lot about this but is the compound in pot that relives medical symptoms the same one that intoxicates? If not, why hasn't it bee made into pills just like countless other medications and therapies that were originally derived from plants? It just seems like that would make it so very much less controversial.

Last edited:
I was in Venice Beach, California, earlier this afternoon. There must be half a dozen "Medical Marijuana Evaluation" shops along Ocean Front Walk. They've been there for years. From what I understand, they're pretty much a ripoff or scam. Yes, the doctor's evaluation costs (starts at) $40. But then there are extra charges for a license, the actual card, etc. And I don't think they actually dispense the product. You need to go elsewhere and pay to obtain it.

Any place that has shills or touts outside should raise red flags. Buyer beware. There are legitimate places for those interested.

The-Green-Doctors-Venice-Beach.jpg

4997658-Medicinal-_Marijuana_for_sale_on_Venice_Beach-0.jpg
cff4701f5de21aa5026034d6a7dc68d5--venice-beach-california-california-love.jpg

kushdoctor-raided.jpg

As I understand it, it is pretty easy to get here. But the legislature hasn't hammered out all of the dispensary regulations yet, and while they've set a deadline for all currently operating dispensaries to shut down there's only guesswork and estimates about when properly licensed and vetting dispensaries will open. So it may very well be that the card is just a worthless piece of paper before too much longer. It is a shame, because pot is so much less damaging than many of the alternatives.

Admittedly, I don't know a lot about this but is the compound in pot that relives medical symptoms the same one that intoxicates? If not, why hasn't it bee made into pills just like countless other medications and therapies that were originally derived from plants? It just seems like that would make it so very much less controversial.

My (admittedly incomplete) understanding is that attempts to do so have resulted in very expensive products that are less effective than old fashioned joints and special brownies. Which makes sense, if you think about it - synthesizing a pill form requires lab time, testing, research, FDA approval, and pharma profit margins, and the end result would be patent-able. None of that is true of plain old pot, so even when you account for profits for the growers and dispensary owners, it is bound to be a less expensive product.

Cannabis oil is extracted and sold as CBD. The oil does not have the THC and therefore has the benefits of the marijuana without the high. This is often what is used in children, and is especially effective for seizures.

Cannabis oil is extracted and sold as CBD. The oil does not have the THC and therefore has the benefits of the marijuana without the high. This is often what is used in children, and is especially effective for seizures.
Thanks. What does CBD stand for? Is the oil form readily available and do you need a prescription for it? I was interested to hear about the potential for use by MS patients. I know several of them who would simply never, ever smoke pot (or smoke anything else either).

And we had a real dilemma a couple of years ago. My brother who was a mentally-disabled dependent adult died of cancer. At one point it was suggested that maybe medical marijuana would be useful as part of his comfort measures. We had no clue how to to get him to smoke it and no other delivery method was suggested. Blessedly, he was kept very comfortable with conventional pain meds but we would have like to be able to explore options had they become required.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!