Do you have a medical marijuana card?

In MA you need to have an ID card in order to obtain medical marijuana. You have to go to a licensed doctor that does medical marijuana evaluations. Once you are approved you then have to go on the MA state website and register and they will send you your card. The dispensaries are scattered through-out the state. In order to get inside you have to be let in by security and then they check your ID card and your MA license/legal ID on the state website. They then "buzz" another door open and let you in to the dispensary. It is cash or debit cards. The state keeps track of how much you buy and limits the amounts. Although, that limit is pretty high.

MA also provides an ID for a "caregiver." That person can do everything that the "patient" requires buy it, transport it, grow it but cannot use it. They too have to apply and be registered with the state and are issued an ID.

Marijuana has been legalized in MA, but nothing is happening yet so they are still going by the Medical Marijuana rules. No recreational yet.

And here in Massachusetts and every other state you can walk out your front door and get it from practically any kid in high school. If they aren’t using it, they still all know who supplies it and how to get it.

What they really need to come up with now is a test like a DUI. That’s what scares me about it. It is soooo easy to get and people are driving while high. Just as dangerous as alcohol while operating any machinery.

For medical use it can be a life saver. The other ramifications are what concerns me.

And here in Massachusetts and every other state you can walk out your front door and get it from practically any kid in high school. If they aren’t using it, they still all know who supplies it and how to get it.

What they really need to come up with now is a test like a DUI. That’s what scares me about it. It is soooo easy to get and people are driving while high. Just as dangerous as alcohol while operating any machinery.

For medical use it can be a life saver. The other ramifications are what concerns me.

I know here in Florida LE does have “ DUI type “ tests they can do onsite to see if someone is impaired.. although not just taking something either THC or opioids automatically make you impaired, there are a lot of pain patients that take their meds like directed and have been on them so long that it’s not that easy to be impaired. I know 12 yrs ago when I first started taking RX meds I took time to see how my meds effected me personally before even attempting to drive anywhere .
I know here they take training courses on the subject and believe it or not they are not really “ out to get “ anyone and are trained to use judgment in cases .

I know here in Florida LE does have “ DUI type “ tests they can do onsite to see if someone is impaired.. although not just taking something either THC or opioids automatically make you impaired, there are a lot of pain patients that take their meds like directed and have been on them so long that it’s not that easy to be impaired. I know 12 yrs ago when I first started taking RX meds I took time to see how my meds effected me personally before even attempting to drive anywhere .
I know here they take training courses on the subject and believe it or not they are not really “ out to get “ anyone and are trained to use judgment in cases .

Unfortunately though, there is no standardized test like a breathalyzer for it. For medical reasons, I think it can work miracles. But the reality is also that it is extremely easy for anyone to get their hands on, get high and just drive. Particularly teenagers who believe they are invincible. I personally know kids here in MA that have a “medical”card for it but have absolutely no reason to have one. And they say they don’t even need the card cause it’s so easy to get. So the whole “regulated”marijuana industry is a complete joke to me.There is no regulation really. If a kid gets stopped with pot, the police can’t do a thing cause if they do it’s only a misdemeanor and all it does is tie up an overworked court system.

I feel bad for the police who now have their hands tied. We have several friends who are officers and they all say that the driving high is a big problem but they can’t really do anything about it. That is what worries me.

Unfortunately though, there is no standardized test like a breathalyzer for it. For medical reasons, I think it can work miracles. But the reality is also that it is extremely easy for anyone to get their hands on, get high and just drive. Particularly teenagers who believe they are invincible. I personally know kids here in MA that have a “medical”card for it but have absolutely no reason to have one. And they say they don’t even need the card cause it’s so easy to get. So the whole “regulated”marijuana industry is a complete joke to me.There is no regulation really. If a kid gets stopped with pot, the police can’t do a thing cause if they do it’s only a misdemeanor and all it does is tie up an overworked court system.

I feel bad for the police who now have their hands tied. We have several friends who are officers and they all say that the driving high is a big problem but they can’t really do anything about it. That is what worries me.

Actually again here in Florida LE does have a test they can do but it’s a trained visual test but very effective, my husband had to take a course in it , but yes easy to get from just about anywhere .. best to be legal

I know someone who vapes cannabis oils. Says it helps him somewhat - nothing amazing, but better than nothing. No card or prescription needed.

I know someone who vapes cannabis oils. Says it helps him somewhat - nothing amazing, but better than nothing. No card or prescription needed.

I have a bottle of that and unfortunately after years of RX meds it does very little but possibly combined with the low THC it would work well .. I’m willing to try what I can to end the meds cycle..

That part varies in the US from state to state. My state just issued a "clarification" that a card and prescription are needed for anything with CBD, even though the THC content is too low for it to be an intoxicant, and unless something has changed since I last checked it is still entirely illegal on the federal level (as is medicinal pot in any form).

That part varies in the US from state to state. My state just issued a "clarification" that a card and prescription are needed for anything with CBD, even though the THC content is too low for it to be an intoxicant, and unless something has changed since I last checked it is still entirely illegal on the federal level (as is medicinal pot in any form).
Yeh in Florida you can buy CBD hemp oil legally the rest you need a card for .

Yeh in Florida you can buy CBD hemp oil legally the rest you need a card for .

Yeah, last time I was down there I got the most incredible CBD oil lotion. It is so silky and does wonderful things for the way my skin cracks in the winter... but I can't buy it here in Michigan! :(

Yeah, last time I was down there I got the most incredible CBD oil lotion. It is so silky and does wonderful things for the way my skin cracks in the winter... but I can't buy it here in Michigan! :(

You can actually buy it online , it’s legal in all 50 states ( the hemp style ) .

It's funny how many "illegal" drugs actually have medicinal qualities. Ketamine is being investigated as a treatment for Major Depressive Disorder and Ecstasy for a skeletal disease which would otherwise leave the afflicted parties immobile. Fascinating :)

It's funny how many "illegal" drugs actually have medicinal qualities. Ketamine is being investigated as a treatment for Major Depressive Disorder and Ecstasy for a skeletal disease which would otherwise leave the afflicted parties immobile. Fascinating :)
Ketamine, which is essentially horse tranquilizer, is already being used in clinical settings. It was used on my profoundly mentally-handicapped brother as sedation during an "awake" medical procedure and the effects were truly horrifying. It induces a conscious, yet trance-like state and I cannot fathom how that's supposed to help depressed people.

Ketamine, which is essentially horse tranquilizer, is already being used in clinical settings. It was used on my profoundly mentally-handicapped brother as sedation during an "awake" medical procedure and the effects were truly horrifying. It induces a conscious, yet trance-like state and I cannot fathom how that's supposed to help depressed people.

No idea. But apparently it's showing real promise.

I don't have one and am very thankful not to have a need.

A very close friend needed one during a recent bout with cancer. Her oncologist made the recommendation and his office completed the doctor portion of the application. The State contacted my friend via letter, claiming something on one page was not filled out. My friend knew it was, contacted the State and was told they needed the doctor to re-do that part of the form. The staff at the doctor's office knew it was thoroughly and properly filled out and gave my friend a runaround. It wasn't sorted until my friend's next appt. with the doc where he was surprised to find she hadn't tried using for relief because of the snafu. Staff was told in no uncertain terms to provide her with the document immediately. She mailed it to the State. She received another letter back, telling her they had to reject her application because in the interim her driver's license had since expired because it was due for renewal at her birthday that occurred between sending in the original forms and the second from the doctor's office. She already had renewed her license in that timeframe and sent them a copy -- despite the fact that the clerk at the State admitted she knew the license had been renewed because she was able to look it up in the State database as a State employee. I've since learned that my friend's experience is not unique in the slightest.

I work in the court system. Those who are on parole or probation are restricted from use of drugs or alcohol as terms of parole/probation. 99.999% of those on parole or probation have Medical Marijuana cards, about the same ratio for parents with kids in the foster care system who are ostensibly working to reunite with their children.

In Michigan if you are a law abiding citizen you will be hassled and obstructed from receiving a medical marijuana card. If you have a criminal record, blaze away with the State's blessing.

Edited because I've realized I now cannot select the correct do/due/dew for the appropriate circumstance.

Last edited:
I don't have one and am very thankful not to have a need.

A very close friend needed one during a recent bout with cancer. Her oncologist made the recommendation and his office completed the doctor portion of the application. The State contacted my friend via letter, claiming something on one page was not filled out. My friend knew it was, contacted the State and was told they needed the doctor to re-do that part of the form. The staff at the doctor's office knew it was thoroughly and properly filled out and gave my friend a runaround. It wasn't sorted until my friend's next appt. with the doc where he was surprised to find she hadn't tried using for relief because of the snafu. Staff was told in no uncertain terms to provide her with the document immediately. She mailed it to the State. She received another letter back, telling her they had to reject her application because in the interim her driver's license had since expired because it was do for renewal at her birthday that occurred between sending in the original forms and the second from the doctor's office. She already had renewed her license in that timeframe and sent them a copy -- despite the fact that the clerk at the State admitted she knew the license had been renewed because she was able to look it up in the State database as a State employee. I've since learned that my friend's experience is not unique in the slightest.

I work in the court system. Those who are on parole or probation are restricted from use of drugs or alcohol as terms of parole/probation. 99.999% of those on parole or probation have Medical Marijuana cards, about the same ratio for parents with kids in the foster care system who are ostensibly working to reunite with their children.

In Michigan if you are a law abiding citizen you will be hassled and obstructed from receiving a medical marijuana card. If you have a criminal record, blaze away with the State's blessing.

That is ridiculous.. completely. We use to have a 90 day waiting period to even get approval but it was causing a lot of long waits so now you can use your email confirmation as a temp card and no waiting periods .

That is ridiculous.. completely. We use to have a 90 day waiting period to even get approval but it was causing a lot of long waits so now you can use your email confirmation as a temp card and no waiting periods .

It was ridiculous for my friend, but not amusing at all. It turned out marijuana helped the nausea after chemo and scaled back some of the anxiety that was keeping her awake at night as well. She went through the strongest and roughest of the chemo treatments much worse than she likely needed to because a clerk for the State and the staff at the doctor's office decided to prioritize pettiness. The doctor was very upset when he found out because he knows what his patients have experienced with the treatment and he had pressured my friend strongly to be prepared when that phase began.

Bright side -- my friend appears to have beaten very grim odds, so much so that more than a year later she shows no sign of cancer whatsoever. That outcome was not even floated as any type of possibility whatsoever.

It was ridiculous for my friend, but not amusing at all. It turned out marijuana helped the nausea after chemo and scaled back some of the anxiety that was keeping her awake at night as well. She went through the strongest and roughest of the chemo treatments much worse than she likely needed to because a clerk for the State and the staff at the doctor's office decided to prioritize pettiness. The doctor was very upset when he found out because he knows what his patients have experienced with the treatment and he had pressured my friend strongly to be prepared when that phase began.

Bright side -- my friend appears to have beaten very grim odds, so much so that more than a year later she shows no sign of cancer whatsoever. That outcome was not even floated as any type of possibility whatsoever.
:flower3: A very happy ending - thanks for sharing that part. As to the other - it strikes me as just bizarre and outrageous. If you don't mind, what is the penalty for smoking marijuana and/or possessing quantities for personal use? Here, although we are moving rapidly towards full legalization, it has been decriminalized for many years. A prescription is required for medical use, but I can hardly imagine it's worth fussing about given the very low risk of any kind of serious repercussion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter