Do you have a television (cable, dish, etc.) service?

Direct TV NOW seems like a great idea in theory but I think there are still some kinks. If you look for reviews on the internet it's very mixed. Seems like they are having service issues, probably buffering issues too.

I'm tempted to try it, but it's so hard to cancel with that company if it doesn't work out. They might get better if you can wait.

DirecTV (which we absolutely hate) and Netflix.

We are this close to "cutting the cord," as they say. Once this season of Game of Thrones is over.

So if all you're waiting on is GoT then why not cut and just get HBO Now and stream it?

Direct TV NOW seems like a great idea in theory but I think there are still some kinks. If you look for reviews on the internet it's very mixed. Seems like they are having service issues, probably buffering issues too.

I'm tempted to try it, but it's so hard to cancel with that company if it doesn't work out. They might get better if you can wait.
They need to get a DVR function working IMHO to make it a good replacement, which they've said will be coming.

DIRECTV Now does have 7 day trial you can do to see if you like it, if not cancel. And don't forget that if you have certain AT&T wireless plans you get a credit for having either DIRECTV satellite or streaming service and free HBO.

I have tried to cut the cord, but I am addicted to TV. It is my biggest vice these days. We had u-verse for years, but the bill got too high, so I went down to a basic package with comcast when they had a special. HATED comcast and went back to u-verse as soon as I could. We did cut many of the premium stations. We kept Showtime and Starzs because they were included with the higher channel tier. Last month we dropped down a tier so we lost Showtime and Starzs, but found we didn't watch them much. I did pick-up HBO for GoT.

DH loves sports and would be lost without the Big Ten Network. We also have Amazon Prime and Netflix. I do all my shopping on Amazon and we have had Netflix since they first came out. I love having it for when the kids come over.

HBO Now is easy to get, through Amazon or iTunes with Apple TV. And you can stream past seasons of shows, it's not limited to the current four or so choices at a time. We had Starz for a while and watched Outlander and American Gods. Very easy to cancel and switch to another premium station.

Trying to get through Handmaid's Tale before I cancel Hulu. We seem to be able to watch one episode at a time. Very weird, I got the usual "how did we do?" email from Hulu after I called customer service. It had a link to their "friends" if we were still having problems. The link took me to Netflix.

No, just Netflix and a rather large digital library that I maintain (Plex). I do have cable internet and a rooftop antenna for locals (and Canadian in the right weather). Last time we had cable TV was 2006. We don't watch a lot of TV though.

We have Google Fiber, it's terrific. The internet is super fast, the tv channel/network selection top notch, and the DVR/User Interface is outstanding. We can record/watch up to 8 different shows at one time (and there are only two of us in the house!) 2 TB of storage on the hard drive too. We never stream anything though we're basically setup to do so. No Netflix, Hulu, etc.

We have Google Fiber, it's terrific. The internet is super fast, the tv channel/network selection top notch, and the DVR/User Interface is outstanding. We can record/watch up to 8 different shows at one time (and there are only two of us in the house!) 2 TB of storage on the hard drive too. We never stream anything though we're basically setup to do so. No Netflix, Hulu, etc.

SO jealous of Google fiber!

We cut the cord about 18 months ago. I got tired of doing the annual renegotiation with Time Warner, and then AT&T Uverse. The last best offer UVerse made would've made my cable bill almost $150/month. No thanks. We went down to Netflix and Amazon Prime, then added in Hulu because there were some network shows we missed.

Since then we've added DirecTV Now, which is AT&T's version of Sling TV/PlayStation Vue/YouTube TV--one of these "get your cable through your Internet" plans. We got in early, so we get the premium tier of channels at the small-tier price, and we keep that as long as our contract stays active. It had some fits & starts at first, but we like it a lot now. The one thing it doesn't have is DVR capability, which other services have. They say they're going to add it this year.

They're rolling out Google fiber to our city soon and we'll probably relook everything when it's available to us.

We cut the cord on February 9, 2017. I had not been without a cable or satellite service since December 1980! Before then, we had Dish Network, and we were sick of paying $105.95 a month when nothing was on that we wanted to watch. BTW, it went up $5 a month just before we disconnected.

We already had Amazon Prime (due to the shipping), and we added Hulu and Netflix. We bought a Fire TV stick when they were on sale Christmas 2015, and watched those streaming services, plus YouTube on there. We also do Over The Air TV with a homemade antenna and signal booster.

My son really wanted to watch National Geographic's Genius show, so we prepaid for two months of Sling and got a free Roku. We really like the Roku more than the Fire TV stick. However, i'm not that fond of sling. For live TV, there's still not much on. They do have an ability to get older episodes of shows on demand, but it frequently locks up for some reason. We're planning on ditching Sling next month.

We found out that we really didn't miss Dish. Because there was rarely anything on we wanted to watch, we really didn't watch much TV. The shows we wanted to watch are available on Hulu, Netflix or OTA. We also watch a lot of videos on YouTube. I even watch my IndyCar races on YouTube, although there is a delay of a few days to a week until IndyCar uploads them.

So after six months, we still don't miss Dish. My wife and I have talked and we really don't see ever going back to a cable or satellite TV package.

We are looking at Direct TV with the promo they are offering to AT&T customers but my hardest sell is cutting local cable for my local sports teams :(
I don't know how to do it but the price tag looks nice compared to what we are doing now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter