Do you have criminal ancestors?

wenrob

DIS Veteran
Legend has it my paternal great, great, grandfather was a horse thief. Have no idea if it is true.

Not sure if my paternal grandfather would be considered a criminal or just a survivalist. He was a street kid from about 11 years old. One of the most common stories told about him was beating others right handed in marbles and then offering to play left handed and cleaning up. He was a lefty. I suspect he may have been good a cards as well. One of my very earliest memories is of him showing me how to shuffle with one hand.

Related on my mother’s side to a well known historical figure. Back then what he did wasn’t considered criminal but *I* consider it criminal so I do not proudly “claim” him as others in the family do.

• FlightlessDuck

Y kant Donald fly?
    That depends. Is being a British loyalist during the revolution considered a criminal? He did get his merchant ships seized.

• GrnMtnMan

DIS Veteran
    I have an estranged uncle who was on the FBI's 10 most wanted in the 1960s.

And a BIL that went to jail....

kimblebee

now my thoughts will be worth 5 cents
    Yep. Have ancestors who were on the boats from England to Australia.

amberpi

DIS Veteran
    I have a ton of ancestors that owned slaves, so they'd be criminals by today's terms; and should have been. Imagine as a kid when you figure out that the foreseers house used to be slave quarters; or that a collection of outhouses were also slave quarters.

cabanafrau

DIS Veteran
    Considering I come from such a wide assortment of ethnic backgrounds, all of whom fled various countries around the world in abject poverty and along the way mingled with other destitute souls looking to emigrate anywhere they could lay their head and find food for their stomachs I'd have to imagine desperation led to criminality at various times.

• Owlpost23

DIS Veteran
    My grandfather was a grand dragon in the KKK.Not something to be proud of certainly,but I didn't raise him.

Jennasis

DIS life goes on
    Yep. I'm told I have a relative (many times great grandfather) who embezzled money from the king of Spain and was exiled to Sicily.

diznygirl

<font color=701e72>I have a symmetry thing<br><fon
    Haven’t done the research, but there is a town in Australia with our name on it. Lol

low-key

DIS Veteran
    many, including me have done jail time, but I did have an Uncle who was in prison for murder, and he escaped, got caught again and died in prison (I never knew him)

tvguy

Question anything the facts don't support.
    Not that I am aware of. But we don't have much family history back further than my Grandparents on both sides. They moved around the world, and spent a lot of time in parts of the world where records of anything just weren't kept, or have been lost to fire or time or war. DD really hasn't made any progress in her family history effort in the past 5 years.

Mirielle

DIS Veteran
    many, including me have done jail time, but I did have an Uncle who was in prison for murder, and he escaped, got caught again and died in prison (I never knew him)
    Wow! What were you in jail for? Don't tell us it was for being too sexy!

Connect

Disney News and Updates

Daily Updates and News