Do You Have Extended Car Warranty?

hereyago

Miss My Boy Nubbs
Do you have an an extended car warranty for your used car? If so do you like their service and price?

I bought a used car a couple weeks ago.t. I bought a extended warranty at dealership. I will be cancelling it because I am still in the 30 day period.

So if you have an extended warranty (not from a dealership), who do you have?

I bought a used car a couple weeks ago.t. I bought a extended warranty at dealership. I will be cancelling it because I am still in the 30 day period.

So if you have an extended warranty (not from a dealership), who do you have?

I bought one on a used car a long time ago, aganst my dads advice.. I read it so closely, it covers almost everything, you name it and it said in bold letter covered 100 percent in case of a breakdown, I asked questions, what if my transmission goes, they told me 100 percent for a breakdown. So I got it, and almost everything that broke they said it wore out, it did not breakdown

I purchased extended warranties on both my kids cars since they were going way to college with the cars. That was the only reason I got the warranty. Never had to file a claim, so a waste of money.
My wife and I bought a used car about a decade earlier and got an extended warranty. The heater core went out. The radiator, water pump and freeze plugs were covered if they went out, but the heater core was listed as a component that was not covered. At that point I vowed I would never buy an extended warranty. Like I said, the only thing that motivated me to get one later was the concern my kids could have car problems while away from home of college.
But it's common sense. Warranty companies would go bankrupt if they didn't know that the average customer would never file claims greater than the premium they paid.

I do... I actually thought about cancelling it because I thought it was a bit of an unnecessary expense. I ended up keeping it. They SAID because I worked for a certain bank, they offered it to me at half price (whether or not that was true, probably not lol). I forgot how much I spent, but even at their "half price", it was still not cheap. It covers bumper to bumper for like 3 years or 36k more with a $100 deductible.

I know that some warranties can be purchased, but not through a dealer. I am not entirely sure I would trust something I just "found" on TV or the internet. I have seen commercials but cannot remember the name. I wouldn't trust them... I really don't have 100% faith in what dealers sell, but more so than what some company sells after the fact. I am sure they know every loophole to keep from paying.

So far I have had my transmission go out... that part was covered under the original Nissan powertrain warranty so I did not end up paying the deductible.

I bought one once for a 1978 Cutlass back in 1980. Salesman was a college buddy so he sold it to me at cost which was $125. I think it was supposed to be $500. One day I may or may not have been racing a 300ZX and ended up with a few bent pushrods. So that paid off.

My Cadillac has been out of warranty for years I think I finally stopped getting phone calls offering an extended warranty.

We bought one for our Sienna (and the on before that) but we haven't needed it. DH's uncle was a mechanic for a Toyota dealer (in a different state) and we talked to him about it. He recommended we get it after we told him what they were charging because the price was less than the cost of replacing one of the motors on the sliding doors and several other things. It turned out to be a waste of money, as we didn't need it with the first van and we are at 90,000 miles on the second one and nothing has gone wrong with the car. I do like that it includes roadside assistance and such, as we don't have AAA or anything else that provides it.

DH did not get the extended warranty on the new Camry he bought a few months ago.

I bought a car I knew to be a lemon. I thought getting a warranty would cover me. It did, but not enough because the car was even worse than I ever imagined.

The engine cracked and seized due to coolant in the cylinders. The warranty covered about a third ($2000 Canadian). I also got the dealership to cough up another third since it happened so soon. That was probably a lucky combination of them being good people and having a regulated auto sales industry here in Ontario.

So, I got my money back from the warranty on that repair but it did NOT cover a number of other smaller issues. My overall advice would be to NOT bother with a third party, after market warranty. Although, I would still consider an extended warranty offered by the manufacturer at the right price.

Don’t buy a car that sketchy in advance, and get rid of a car that turns out to be that sketchy.

(Sad part is... I did love that car. I would have kept it longer if I could afford to keep it running).

we didn't need it with the first van and we are at 90,000 miles on the second one and nothing has gone wrong with the car.
90K miles is nothing. We've now taken our 2nd Sienna over 200K (usually get them with about 50K).

Read the fine print of any warranty you get. "Bumper to bumper" is sales speak. It probably won't cover "normal wear and tear", which if you think about it, just about everything is going to wear out at some point.

Life would be so much easier if we had a crystal ball, wouldn't it? :teeth:

With cars, it's really a crapshoot. You do your best to buy good ones (would never buy a sketchy one, or from a sketchy place) and hope for the best.

I've bought warranties, but never actually had to use one. I knew it was a gamble, but it gave me some peace of mind.

AAA has after market warranties that I think are pretty good. If there are problems, you have AAA to back you up, and that's huge. Additionally, you can either pay for it all at once, or they'll break it up into 12 or 15 payments, for convenience.

That said, we have paid a TON of money in older [college commuting] car repairs over the past few years - in one case, more than we originally paid for the car. (Never had warranties for these, and they were good cars for a very long time, until they got up there in mileage and started having problems.) Seems we couldn't get out of the shop for under $2000; oftentimes even more. Just done with that.

Bought two nice used cars this year and got the warranties through the dealership with each. Yeah, they give me the lines they were giving me a special deal because of xyz, etc. I didn't care. I looked at the cost in comparison to what we'd paid in car repairs, and it was peanuts. I'm hoping we won't need a lot of repairs (bought Toyotas for the first time), but it helps me sleep at night knowing if something goes wrong, it's not going to cost us a small fortune - especially for DD (who is paying the bills but I had to cosign) for her first car purchase.

We just need to get through one more year of college with our two kids and we'll be sleeping like babies! :rotfl2:

I've purchased 2 over the years for my daughter's cars. Each time I purchased the manufacturer's extended, not 3rd party. Both were total coverage, exclusions only. The lower priced ones are inclusion, specifying what they do cover. The exclusion states what they won't cover, essentially the same as the original warranty. I purchased both online, shortly before the original warranty was ending, from new car dealers many states away from us, not the original selling dealer. Some dealers are big into selling OEM warranties online, many $100's less. Dealing with the OEM if service is needed is an easier and cleaner thing to deal with.

She has used both.

We purchase after market warranties for our vehicles. They have come in handy on every vehicle. Small and big fixes. It's been piece of mind that the warranty as covered most repairs.

It's very important to read the "warranty" terms. I put "warranty" in quotes because many people think they're getting the bumper-to-bumper or powertrain warranty the manufacturer offers. Sometimes that's true, many times it's not. Often what you're really purchasing is a pre-paid service contract which may have terms that makes it not such a good deal, such as deductibles, exclusions or a process to be reimbursed where you have to pay the money up front, or get pre-approval. So important to review the terms and decide if it's in your best interest as a consumer.

Yes they are complete rip offs. We had it on our last new car. Short time after we bought it the drivers side seat ripped. We were also told bumper to bumper. When we took it in we were told it doesn’t cover seats. I said well the lady time I looked the seats were between the front and back bumper. The girl laughed. I was not amused. She said they were changing how they say this. Yep big rip off

We purchased an 8 year extended warranty with our 2014 Honda Odyssey. Ended up only using it once when the lift gate motor went out.

Just traded the Odyssey in for a pilot, and Honda is refunding the remaining balance of the extended warranty. Between the refund and the one covered repair, we are breaking even.

Did not get the extended warranty on the pilot.

Yes they are complete rip offs. We had it on our last new car. Short time after we bought it the drivers side seat ripped. We were also told bumper to bumper. When we took it in we were told it doesn’t cover seats. I said well the lady time I looked the seats were between the front and back bumper. The girl laughed. I was not amused. She said they were changing how they say this. Yep big rip off
No, that's wear and tear. No warranty covers that.

Another thing to be aware of is the actual period of coverage. They may market it as five years bumper to bumper, but if the car has a three years manufacturer warranty, you are really only getting two additional years of coverage.

Like any insurance, most people will not collect enough to cover the cost. But there are cases where someone makes good use of it.

I never bought an extended warranty. My commute miles had me going through even an extended warranty in a relatively short period of time. And my miles were mostly those easier on a car (little traffic, stop and go, or idling). So far I have been fortunate and all cars lasted for many miles.

No. But... My wife wanted one on the last car we bought (we always buy used) the local dealership we buy from has won the local newspaper award for best used car dealership 13 years in a row. The price was actually reasonable, and like all warranties they are 100% negotiable, a good chunk of the fee is profit by the dealership/sales person/finance person. Negotiate it as part of the deal not once you get to the finance person. They went over the policy and it seemed simple enough.

In the first two years we had some issues, the warranty was no problem. I wish I could say dealing with the Chevy dealership was. I swear they were doing everything to try to get my wife into a new car rather then fixing the problems. That said we've not gotten the full amount of service back on the problems we've had so it's a net loss, which is what the warranty companies count on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!