Do you keep the date in mind that your parents passed

My mam passed away July 22nd this year my birthday. Dont feel like I will celebrate my birthday again

I understand. My dad passed away on my 13th birthday and my stepdad passed away the day before my birthday several years later. The next few birthdays were not fun. However, as I grew older I realized that not celebrating my birthday was the equivalent of not celebrating life. My dad would have been upset if we didn't focus on how we live but rather when he died.

When my stepdad died the day before my birthday a few years ago, it did make me wonder about the date.

Hugs to you. It will be hard for a few years, but hopefully you will again enjoy the day and the celebration of life.

No. Dad died in November 1993 but I deliberately didn't remember the date. It was a Tuesday. I kept focused on that and ignored the date. My mum rings me every year on the anniversary (Not just on the anniversary. That would be weird) but I never make the connection to the date.
See, I would hate that. I will probably put my phone on Do Not Disturb and abandon all social media that day.

Mom is still going strong thankfully. My Dad died on his least favorite day of the year 4/15. . My Grandparents I know. Dad's Mom died on my parents anniversary, his Step Father ( who was our Grandpa in all but blood ) on Thanksgiving.
Mom's Dad died on his favorite day of the month , Social Security check day. I didn't remember the exact date of my Grandmom's death until I got engaged 18 years later. That night my Mom thanked me for giving her a good memory going forward since it was the same day.

Yes and it’s coming up. My dad was 9/23/1993, mom 9/30/2005.
I did a double-take when I saw this; my daughter was BORN on 9/23/1993.

I don't really remember when my parents died. I can trace back my dad's death as I know it was the summer I turned 14, so I was 13 when he died at the end of June. That was in...1970 (I did the math!) My mom? We had a very awkward relationship. I know she died in February, maybe 2003? 2004? I can't really remember, but I have her death certificate and autopsy report if I need to find the date. I know that seems awful, but that was the kind of relationship we ended up having. I bear her no grudge, hold no ill-will or animosity towards her. The older I get and the more I learn about her life, the more I understand how she chose the life she led and turned out to be the way she was.

My father and grandmother (who was like a second mother to me) both passed on my brother's birthday, 9 years apart, so I always remember those. I don't remember the date my brother died; the fact that it was right after my birthday and in the middle of all the end-of-school stuff for DD sticks in my head, but not an exact date. And my mother is still alive and well, thankfully.

How can I ever forget. My Mom died 4 days before my DD was born and my Dad died Christmas Eve. Both bittersweet times for me.

Yes because we took our 1.5 year old to WDW, and the day we got back home it was about 11:30 at night and my Mom called and wanted to talk to us and him. we let her spend about 45 min talking to him, the next day we got the call that she was dead, we were so glad we spent the time we and him were talking to her! He spent the whole 45 min talking about how he saw Pooh!

Last edited:
Yes I was always remember the day my mother died. She passed away July 11 2019 after a almost 14 year battle with cancer. The reason why I will always remember it is because my grandmother (her mother) died on July 6 2005 and my mother’s cousin died on July 14, 2013. So my mother’s death is right in between both dates. Even though it has been two months now since she died it is still hard to believe that she is gone. Never get to say goodbye to her before died. Talked to her that Monday and saw her in the hospital on June 30.

Yes, my mother passed away on February 8, 2008 after liver issues. Although I was very close with my mom, I do feel like I "grew up" a bit after she passed, even though I was already nearing my 30's

My brother July 31, 1982 (he was only 20 and I was 12 at the time). That is burned in my mind forever and was such a tragic loss and so young. My oldest sister November 2, 2000 (cancer, and she was only 46). My dad November 13, 2014. My oldest brother January 6, 2018. I remember all the dates.

My mum passed the day after my wedding anniversary (cancer) and dad passed 3 days after my birthday (complications due to dementia) within 4 months of each other so hard to forget. Still raw after 2 years. Even though they were both in their 80's and we had them for a long time It's hard to be an orphan when you're in your 60's!

Yep my dad died the day before my parents 45th wedding anniversary, then 11 years later, my mom died the day after their anniversary, so easy for us to remember.

They are in my mind everyday.......I don't want to forget. But lately I am forgetting the exact day for some since we have lost too many, too quick and too close in date. :(. My dad's is my dil's birthday so very easy to remember. Add all the birthdays and I know now how my parents or in-laws felt when we had to remind them of someone's birthday coming up.

I lost my BIL (47), my dad a few months later, my sister (47) a few months later, my FIL a few months later. Then about a year later I lost my very best friend/next door neighbor (54) , another BIL (60), then my mom and my MIL not long after. :(

I was 18 when my dad passed, i keep it in in the back of my mind... i never share with my dh, he did not know him. on the 24th of this month it will be 25 years.

Yes—only lost my father so far, and recently. June 16, 2016. Even if it wasn't such a horrible, unexpected shock, I think I'd still remember the exact date. I tend to think about when other things happened in relation to that date, too.

My mom passed on Oct 23, 7 years ago. I used to love Halloween, but ever since she passed... Not so much.

Yep mom died August 24, 2015. I have not been to her grave since then. She had dementia last 4 years of her life and just made me to sad to go back. My dad I found out from a cousin about 10 years ago. Parents divorced 55 years ago when I was 4 and had not seen him since.
On another note, my wife had a cousin whose daughter died to medical malpractice about 10 years ago and her mom has been a wreck ever since. Been to rehab couple times but nothing helps. She can't get over it. Really tough on her husband and youngest daughter and her parents and sisters. Every year on the anniversary of her death the moms sisters and brother in law always put picture up on facebook pages of her and talk about about how old she would have been and things like that. They know the mom see's these. I want to tell them to stop it that they are not helping matters and it just makes it worse on the mom. I know its probably not my place and my wife agrees with me but says not to say anything. Would you say anything? Sorry to be so long winded.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!