• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do you know how to shred/pull chicken?

piratesmate

<font color=red>Drah-gun! I don't do that tongue t
You know, the way that chicken is prepared in burritos, chimichangas, etc at Chi-Chi's. I've also had beef served that way at weddings - or pork in BBQ. It's stringy instead of in chunks. (Sounds appetizing, huh?)

Any idea on how to prepare this? I just need to know how to prepare the meat, not how to spice it.

Thanks!

I think that after the meat is cooked you take 2 forks and pull the meat apart into strips.

Forks are fine, but to really get the job done right, you just get into a big bowl of what ever meat you are shredding and use your hands. I do it this way when I'm shredding beef or pork roast for BBQ. The shredded bits are more consistent in size.:wave:

I use one fork and my fingers.

The cooking technique is more important that the pulling method. The chicken needs to be extra tender. The crock pot is the easiest way to cook it (add about 1 cup of chicken broth). You can also boil it, cook it in the pressure cooker, or cook it covered or in an oven bag at a low temp for a long time in the oven.

I knew someone here would know! Thanks Kermit for the info. I wasn't sure how to get the meat to be that tender consistently. Sometimes my roast comes out of the crock pot & practically shreds itself - no need for forks or fingers - & forget about trying to cut it! Other times, I don't think I could shred it regardless of the method. I wonder if the difference is in the added water. I only put water in with the roast if it is frozen - as per manufacturer's instructions. I keep saying roast, but the same thing happens with chicken.

Again - thanks for the replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter