Do you schedule a "break" day?

We had never scheduled a break day. But, I think we'll do things differently with our next trip soon approaching. I don't think we'll take an entire day, but a couple of hours to spend at hotel and pool sounds nice. I don't feel the need to go, go, go anymore. Maybe because I'm getting older. LOL!

The girls go shopping with their mother on her last day with us on our vacations so I do a resort hopping day going around to as many hotels as I can and check them out. And how the CM's treat me on these hops really does effect me. A rude CM at Beach Club has me saying never but on my last visit to AKL they not only invited me to try things, they gave me a tour of one of the rooms (we are now staying there in June) I mention this because its a great way to relax and still stay in the Disney Magic.

On our honeymoon, we didn't do any rest days, including arrival day.

This November, we brought our two small kids- one 4 year old and one infant- and we did not go to the parks on arrival day, plus we had one break day at the mid-ish point. We drove in from Northern Virginia, which is a long drive made longer when you've got a baby with you. So we weren't quite sure exactly when we'd arrive in town, and really just wanted to check in, eat, and crash. Our kids are both morning people (but we're not! LOL) so we rope dropped pretty much every single day, and other than seeing RoL one night and Fantasmic another, we pretty much left the parks at sundown every day. Because of the morning/daytime-heavy nature of our touring style, we knew that the Sunday within our trip would not be a good park day, because we wanted to go to Mass in the morning which meant leaving the Disney bubble. By the time we got back to our resort, it was pretty much lunch time- meaning only a handful of hours left for the park, if we had gone. So we decided to make that a non-park day. We spent a couple of hours at the pool, then went to Disney Springs for a little bit of shopping and then dinner. To us, it was less about resting or re-charging and more about the fact that it would have felt like a waste of a park ticket, to us, to only spend a few hours in the parks.

We didn't do the mid-afternoon return-to-the-resort-for-a-nap strategy, mostly because our 4 year old refuses to nap. That's not to say the kids didn't take afternoon naps- they did, in the stroller, wiped out from sheer excitement and exhaustion, and we didn't have to bus all the way back to POR for them to sleep. We'd pull into a shady area and snack on a Dole Whip or something while they snoozed until it was time for our next FP+. Getting everybody to bed by 7ish (other than a couple of nights) was really the key to us all feeling rested and relaxed and vacation-y.

No breaks for us. We are committed to the morning until lunch and then we go back and rest and regroup. If everyone is in the mood to go back to the parks then we load up and go but if we need down time we take it. Mornings are the best!

Not usually. We did stay off site once for 15 nights (just the kids and me), and we had 10 day park hoppers with water fun & more, so that trip we did chill at the resort a few days. We did a couple hours at each water park, played mini golf, did Disneyquest a few times. But normally, no, we go at least a couple hours to a park as long as we're there. We never do 12 hour days though! We're pretty chill. I see many families burned out, exhausted, bickering, and that's no fun!

Not usually. We did stay off site once for 15 nights (just the kids and me), and we had 10 day park hoppers with water fun & more, so that trip we did chill at the resort a few days. We did a couple hours at each water park, played mini golf, did Disneyquest a few times. But normally, no, we go at least a couple hours to a park as long as we're there. We never do 12 hour days though! We're pretty chill. I see many families burned out, exhausted, bickering, and that's no fun!
Exactly! My kids equally enjoy the resort as much as the parks. In fact, on our last trip in December 2016, DD1 constantly asked if she could swim. The pool is a big hit for us (one of the many reason's we're booked at AOA this time!)

Yep at least 2 plus arrival/departure day.

In August we will have more then that. We are going for 11 days, 5 are park days, 1 is a water park day so that leaves 5 more days to relax! Last time we went for 10 days and had 5 park days plus one water park day and I really enjoyed the down time but would of loved one more day as doing s Park, water park and then park day really made me tired!

Plus we do a mid day break on park days.

Prior trips have been 8 days so we would just take one break in the middle, 5 park days and 2 travel days. I decided I needed more rest and it makes us all happier!

No way, in our opinion it's a total waste. We're spending good money to be at WDW, don't need to stare at a hotel wall or a hotel swimming pool. I'm not saying we go nuts every day...far from it. Many days we'll just do 4 or 5 hours in the park, then go relax or do something else. But to skip an entire day seems like a serious waste to us. Heck, our summer trips are 17 days long and we hit a park all 17 days.

I think that works fine too. It's just the "all day every day" that I can't imagine without being tired and cranky!

Yes, works well for our family. We find the “down” days great for doing ADR that are not in the parks.

Definitely!

In October we will be going Sunday to Saturday. We do not plan to go to the parks on arrival or departure days. We also are planning a day mid week that we won't go to the park for the day but we plan to go to MNSSHP that night and get there around 4:00.

We do. Each family vacations differently though. The trip we are going on in 30 days, we bought 4 day tickets. We'll be there from Sunday - Saturday. We'll do parks on Mon, Tues, Thurs, and Fri. We plan to have a down day on Wednesday. We like a lazy break day in the middle. Last trip we were at Disney for 15 days. We did parks 10 days split up between a couple of down days. It made it much more fun and relaxing for us to have a few days off.

Yes. We usually do the day we arrive and another day which is mostly just down time pool time. For our trip in Aug it will be hot so there will be most afternoons we go back to hotel for pool, nap and then either back to park at night to eat or even just hang at resort. We are luckily to go usually 2x a year so we try not do park commando and balance it with rest as Disney is usually our only vacation lol...

We don't schedule anything but we do take a break just about every day. I can't imagine a day of not going to the parks at all but there are days when we might just go for a couple of hours. We are pretty much go with the flow people and if we are at a park and get tired, we go back to the resort and maybe go back to a different park a little later in the day. We have always done it this way and it works for us.

For us it has always depended on how many days we are going to be there, our first trip we planned a break/pool day, but then our other trips we realized it's not a huge price difference when you start adding a couple extra days so we have always done 6 day tickets so then we have plenty of time to see everything and we don't have to stress about fitting it all in. We sometimes just go for half of the day to use our fast passes etc. then head to the resort to play. We have younger kids, 7, 5 and 1 and for us it works better to not pack everything into fewer days and have a break day, but to just spread it all out and visit a park(s) everyday.

We have never done rest days before and are normally park open to close people. This year we’re taking 2 days off. One we’re doing MVMCP, so in a way that doesn’t count. The other day off is after a 1AM park close, so we’re planning on sleeping in then doing Disney Spring and hoping the Star Wars Void will still be open. I keep wishing we maybe would have bought 7 day tickets to go to Holkywould Studios for 1/2 a day, but the extra for the one day would now be too much (we got the Canadian 25% off tickets)

We have never done rest days before and are normally park open to close people. This year we’re taking 2 days off. One we’re doing MVMCP, so in a way that doesn’t count. The other day off is after a 1AM park close, so we’re planning on sleeping in then doing Disney Spring and hoping the Star Wars Void will still be open. I keep wishing we maybe would have bought 7 day tickets to go to Holkywould Studios for 1/2 a day, but the extra for the one day would now be too much (we got the Canadian 25% off tickets)
I assume you are going in November or December since you mentioned going to MVMCP. You mentioned a 1 am park closing.... how do you have hours for that far in advance?

We took a full rest day our first trip, kids were 2, 5, and 7. It was really nice to recharge. We live in Michigan, the pool is a big deal for us! Our next trip my youngest was 5, we didn't take a full rest day but did do a "take it easy" day where we slept in and I took the 5 and 8-year-old to MK just for a few hours, then back to the pool. Then that night on a whim we went to AK for dinner and closed the park down. It's nice to have a day where we can just go with the flow in between all the heavy touring days. If we ever go back I hope we can work in another day like that.

I assume you are going in November or December since you mentioned going to MVMCP. You mentioned a 1 am park closing.... how do you have hours for that far in advance?
Based on last years hours. I don’t kbow for sure, they changed them rather late this year, but that is what I am planning for since my family loves late hours. Even if it is only 11 with the extra evening hours, it will still be a late night.

I love the idea of a rest day. But this time we will keep the days short because my partner's mother will be traveling with us and she has health issues. It will be nice to have time at the resort each day too and we plan to cook each day so probably best

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter