Do you sneak food into the movies?

1GoldenSun

DIS Veteran
I just got back from a couple days at Universal, so I was pretty used to $7 pretzels and such. Even so, on my way to the movies today I stopped at Walgreen's and picked up some candy to bring in in my purse rather than pay movie theatre prices. I did pay for a soda.

Sometimes I bring in Taco Bell. Once I brought a Reuben sandwich from a deli, but when I started to unwrap it the aroma of corned beef and sauerkraut was pretty overpowering. Heads started turning and I got embarrassed and wrapped the sandwich back up before I even took a bite.

I take the "no outside food" from more of a "we'd rather you didn't but we'll look the other way if you do" perspective, although I am generally a rule-follower.

Do you sneak food into the movies?

Yes, well more like snacks and bottle of Pepsi.

I usually hit the Dollar Tree right near the theater.

Sometimes I will get popcorn if I have movie points.

I haven't but I might. If I eat popcorn I like to have something carbonated to go with it, to cut the grease. I'm now off soft drinks and drinking flavored carbonated waters like LaCroix. Well, our local theater doesn't sell those. If they did I'd buy it from them. My next trip there I might bring one in, maybe.

Now that I'm on WW I would bring my own since there is nothing at the theater that would fit into my eating plan. I will buy a bottle of water or small diet soda.

I should add that I don't eat popcorn, but my husband and kids do so we buy that there. I only sneak in candy, because it's the same exact thing as in the theatre for a fraction of the price. And if I want something more substantial I bring that in because the theatre food is not only overpriced, it's not very good. Not that Taco Bell is exactly haute cuisine, but when you're paying a buck or so a taco it's hard to complain.

Yes. My daughter has allergies, so always something for her. If the movie is during the lunch hour, I pack bento boxes for the five of us. Usually finger sandwiches, dried fruit and a little dessert.

No sneaking around here. I haven't noticed or seen any signs that say no outside food in years, so I bring my own snacks. I carry in bring bottled water, and maybe some candy in a bag. I don't try to hide it. Nobody says anything. If I want popcorn, I'll buy it.

Last edited:
Years ago when I was actively losing weight I’d bring a 100 calorie bag of Smart Pop so I wouldn’t be tempted by my kids popcorn. Still bought it for them though.

These days I just look at it as part of the experience/cost. We don’t buy a whole bunch though, a large popcorn and a couple of waters. If we want a meal we go out before or after.

Don’t go often but when I do just buy some there if I want it. Usually a pizza and bottled water and some chocolate.

I always used to sneak a can of pop and a box of m&m's in.
Anymore I just go without anything.
I'm not paying the high theater prices and I've found that with how much water I consume now if I did drink something I'd end up having to go to the bathroom mid movie.

Yes, I take an Atkins bar or something like that.
We buy the sodas.....$1.50 in the reusable mug.
Once in awhile we'll get popcorn.....we still have a couple free ones left.
When DGD goes we take lots of candy and stuff but buy her an icee

Until seeing this discussed a few times on this site over the years I didn’t even know movies had no outside food rules. I’m in Australia so it’s probably different. They have rules about no outside hot food because of the smells (I was told by friends working in the theatres that if someone sneaks in McDonald’s or a Chinese takeaway etc they know pretty quick as the smell gets into the air system). Otherwise we take our own snacks from home or the supermarket without them caring at all.

ETA there’s usually some conveniently placed lolly and ice cream shops not to far from any movie theatres in shopping malls here.

I bring Starburst cause the theater doesn't sell it and it's my "movie candy".

I will never ever bring anything loud or that can be smelled by other patrons.

a bottled water sometimes
a $.96 cent box of candy from Walmart if I have time
either requires bringing a purse which I don't always like to do

I still BUY the popcorn if I want it and cringe handing over that $10 bill and getting next to nothing in change!

I don't go to the movies too often, but I definitely take stuff in.

My mom goes to the movies all the time and she has what she calls her "popcorn purse". Its this drawstring top purse and she can put a bag of microwave popcorn in it perfectly.

Usually a soda. I'll buy the popcorn. But if I'm going to lunch or dinner after movie, I'll get popcorn and water at theatre

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter