Do you sneak food into the movies?

Our local dine in theater, The Alamo Drafthouse, had free admission this week for teachers on Spring break. I went to the movies three times! Such smart marketing on their part. For one free ticket, I was out another $50 a pop for my companion ticket plus food. But, I have to say, it is so nice to get a quality meal, a glass of wine and dessert while you watch a movie. So much better than the gross stuff they sell at the regular theaters.

We don't go to a movie theater often. When we do, we buy everything we eat & drink there. We consider that part of the cost of going to see a movie. That's one reason we don't go often. The main reason is my DH is obsessed with keeping up with technology & having every possible option for watching movies at home.

Last edited:
Sometimes, but generally my theatre allows outside food, so I don't really have to hide it. I don't usually take much though, just a pack of candy. Gotta have my sour punch straws.

I usually have a mini kind bar or 2 in my purse (or something like that) and will sometimes eat 1 or both at the movies. I wouldn't buy any food that is sold at most movie theaters anyway so I don't feel like I'm robbing them of a sale.

If outside food is not allowed, I don't bring it in. Pretty rude to do so, when that is how they make the bulk of their money. Can't help thinking that is at least part of the reason why ticket prices are so high.

It appears nobody is aware (or cares?) that theaters receive very little of the ticket price, so get the bulk of their revenue from concession sales?

This is true. Most of the money they make from the movie goes back to the studio who made it, so they have to rely on folks buying popcorn, drinks, etc.

Our local dine in theater, The Alamo Drafthouse, had free admission this week for teachers on Spring break. I went to the movies three times! Such smart marketing on their part. For one free ticket, I was out another $50 a pop for my companion ticket plus food. But, I have to say, it is so nice to get a quality meal, a glass of wine and dessert while you watch a movie. So much better than the gross stuff they sell at the regular theaters.

We’re partial to Flix, mainly because the closest Alamo (the Lakeline one) is always so crazy busy with traffic, but both are awesome!

You really are trying too hard here. Learn from Paco and know when to just quit.

You mentioned in the Cubs thread how much you love tacos. You even posted twice about different taco joints.

Plus, everyone already knows you're Paco.

I usually have some smarties in my purse for the kids, but I usually have those anywhere we go just in case they need something, not just the movies.

Yep, I tend to normally have something in my purse, too - whether I eat it at the movies or not, I guess I bring it in by default.

And I have (at some theaters) brought in candy specifically for a movie - but I don't bring drinks, or microwave popcorn, or full "meal" type food. I do think that's pushing the "look the other way" policy.

At our local theater, they still have candy machines that take quarters, and little bags, so you can make your own mix for very little money. :tongue: That's what we usually do. But if I'm actually hungry, I'll buy popcorn and water from the concession stand as well.

It appears nobody is aware (or cares?) that theaters receive very little of the ticket price, so get the bulk of their revenue from concession sales?

I am aware but am more of the" I care more about my bottom line then the movie theater's." Plus I can a better selection of candy and my drink at a dollar store.

I love going to the movies and we go once every month or two. I bring in a drink and sometimes a snack. My husband enjoys getting a movie theater popcorn, pretzels and soda. We joined the rewards programs of our local theaters, so sometimes we get a free movie, popcorn or soda. Otherwise, it is part of our weekend entertainment expense. Something we enjoy doing.

We rarely buy candy- only when I bring my nieces and nephews once a year when they visit from out of town and its a fun to spoil them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!