Do you "speak" when you enter a room?

princesspumpkin

DIS Veteran
For almost twenty years, this had been a debate at my job. The "old-schoolers" always speak when they come in to work. The "youngins'" will come in without saying "good morning" or "hello" and later, just start a conversation (or as the old-schoolers say "like they slept in the bed with us last night"). I was raised to speak to someone when you enter a room, or if you haven't seen them yet that day. It does seem a little odd to start answering someone's question, when in essence, they haven't really acknowledged my existence yet (sort to speak). But, I don't get bent out of shape about it, either. What's your take on this?

I always use a greeting when I come into a room, it's rude not to.

I'm 29 and always have always acknowledged people when coming in in the morning (as well as leaving). I also think it's rude not to.

Call me rude. I don't feel the need to greet everyone all the time. And I prefer not to be greeted, especially first thing in the morning. My mother-in-law used to greet each of our family members by name each time we walked in the door. Just annoyed me to no end!

I have to run in and out of work several times a day and I don't greet when I leave or when I return. I am there to do my job not interrupt everyone else.

Call me rude. I don't feel the need to greet everyone all the time. And I prefer not to be greeted, especially first thing in the morning.

i agree. i am not a morning person. plus, i have my own office and i get here before 99% of people in my hallway. so there is no one for me to say hello to anyways. if i have time to eat lunch with people, i usually don't say hi when i walk into the lunch room because everyone's already in there having a conversation. i usually just make eye contact with the people facing me and smile.

never though of this as rude. btw, i am 27.

I'm rude too..there are people at work I don't care to acknowledge when they walk into a room and I would prefer in the mornings if no one talked to me either!

I actually don't know what I do. I don't pay attention. But I will tomorrow!

LOL, this reminds me of a guy I used to work with. He would walk in, no- bounce into work every morning and say in a booming voice, "GOOD MORNING, SUNSHINE!!!!" :sunny: All of us wanted to strangle him! :rotfl: He was the only "morning" person in the office, the rest of us were just grumpy until that first cup of coffee hit. He never thought it was rude of us not to respond, he just understood that some people just don't talk a lot in the morning. It is just how some people are.

I say "good morning" to everybody who is in my office when I arrive. I am usually nearly the first person there, as well. Almost everybody answers with a "good morning" also. Then, I do some paperwork at my desk, and leave to see patients at the hospital. Since I know nearly everybody who works there, I walk down the hall with a big smile on my face, and say "hi" or "good morning" to everybody I see. Some people I know better, I exchange a few words with, others I just smile and nod at. It kind of bothers me when people don't respond, with a "deer in the headlight" look on their face, as if a three headed martian just arrived. I wouldn't say they were "rude" exactly, just kind of unfriendly.

I am usually the first one on our floor, so if I did speak, I'd be talking to myself. By the time others come in, I'm usually busy in my cubicle, but will stop and say "Good morning" if someone speaks to me. So I guess I am half-rude?

I always speak when I enter a room, unless its church or a conference or something like that of course.

You see someone you greet them.

I'm a SAHM, so the office thing doesn't apply, but I do greet my family when I first see them in the morning. If I'm walking my son to the bus in the morning and some moms are already there I greet them, too, unless they are having a conversation, which is often the case.

My 2 middle kids are funny. My 15yo isn't a morning person and hates to wake up, but when he does he's so cheerful, holds conversations, etc. Problem is, he has nobody to talk to because the only people who are awake (usually my DH and my 12yo son and my DD before she went to college) don't want to anything but grumble a morning greeting. My 12yo grunts a "good morning" and that's only if someone greets him first. My 15 and 12yo boys are like oil and water normally, but especially in the morning. :rotfl:

When I first wake up I have to stay in bed for a little while watching tv, slowly waking up, but by the time I'm downstairs with my coffee in my hand I'm good to go. Not literally go anywhere since I have to drink coffee for at least an hour, but I'm cheerful, more like my 15yo.

we deal with the same thing at work. There are a few that will not even acknowledge you in the hallway much less when they enter our room. So I now don't say anything to them.

I am a "youngin"(24) but I always make sure to say hello or good morning to everyone else (and to them in the beginning). It is rude not to. And I don't care how many times I walk past you in the hallway, I will at least smile at you.

Funny, the people I see doing this on a regular basis are also the ones who are always trying to attract attention to themselves.

Personally I talk to people honestly or not at all. Never an attempt to attract attention or go through some ritual.

IMO there is nothing worse than somebody who greets you with the lame "Hello, how are you doing?" that really has no interest in actually talking to you. Worse than actually saying nothing IMO.

The job I have now is the only job I have ever had where we do not greet each other in the morning. People just stare at each other. If someone is going to look me in the eye, I would think they would at least say hello... When I say good morning, I rarely get a response. I don't understand how people can be so miserable.
It's a real pleasant work environment. :confused3

IMO there is nothing worse than somebody who greets you with the lame "Hello, how are you doing?" that really has no interest in actually talking to you. Worse than actually saying nothing IMO.

the worst is when someone asks how you are doing and you actually tell them and they look at you like they don't care and they are 5 minutes late for a meeting. :rotfl:

crz4mm2 said:
I always say hello in the morning. I think its rude not to also.....

Ooops, guess I was being rude all thoes years. :blush:

If I came in and saw someone, I would just smile at them. Even if they said hello I would just turn and smile at them, never was much of a talker.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!