Do you "speak" when you enter a room?

I always say hello when I enter a room.

When you walk into work you say hello to who ever is there. If they are on the phone or out of the way in a cubbie no. IMO not greeting a co-worker is saying loud & clear " You do not matter to me".

For the No's - Do you greet your boss?

As a business owner I can't even imagine an employee that wasn't friendly enough to greet or at least acknowledge a greeting. If I someone just stared back or turn their back on someone who had said "hello" they'd be out the door. We spend too much time in the workplace to not have it be a healthy, friendly environment. We're not all huggy at our business but we all do our best to take the time to care about each other. All the folks who don't enjoy being around others are more than welcome to work elsewhere or stay home where they won't be bothered by friendly, outgoing people. BTW - I consider a smile and nod just as much of a greeting as an outright "hello".

While I do usually greet people I see, I do sometimes start right in to conversation without a "hello, how are you?". Sometimes if I'm already involved in my day, I don't bother to think about whether I have officially greeted that person yet today before starting to talk.

Even at home when I wake up my first words to dh might be something like "Have you fed the dog?" or "who's first in the shower!". My dh, on the otherhand, can't start his day until he has asked everyone in the house "how did you sleep?" The house could be on fire, but he wouldn't say a word about it until we had all answered his sleep enquiry.

While I wouldn't ignore people, sometimes you just have to jump right into business!

I usually don't say hello to everyone, but I think it's because I'm a bit shy--I really don't intend to be rude.

A bit off the topic, but I had to share... I used to work in an office of about 15 people. Everyone, and I mean everyone, despised the manager. He would walk in every morning and say a very stern "Good Morning" to no one in particular as he walked throught the cubicals. For the last few months I worked there, no one reponded. I wanted to get a recording of crickets and play it when he said it. :lmao:

cardaway said:
Funny, the people I see doing this on a regular basis are also the ones who are always trying to attract attention to themselves.

Personally I talk to people honestly or not at all. Never an attempt to attract attention or go through some ritual.

IMO there is nothing worse than somebody who greets you with the lame "Hello, how are you doing?" that really has no interest in actually talking to you. Worse than actually saying nothing IMO.

::yes:: I totaly agree.

I don't greet all my co-workers by name, but when I walk into the room I do so a geenral "Good morning everyone" or something to that effect.I don't always get onto a 4 star conversation after that...sometimes I'll sit quietly and organize my paperwork, look at our patient census, sort of mentally prepare for the day.

I have always hated the excuse "I'm not a morning person" as a reason for being rude. I have several colleagues who do it, as well as friends.

yes, and sometimes I roll over, :rotfl: :rotfl:

Actually I feel sorry for those people who work in such unfriendly environments..

we have 16 people in my office, and everyone says good morning or hi upon arrival, and good night or see you tomorrow at the end of the day, we are like extended family. ...

we have cake for everyones birthday....

we have an office outing once a year, that involves kids....
I can't imagine working someplace less friendly
the friendliness extends outside of the office, to the entire building, it's like a family of hundreds

princesspumpkin said:
For almost twenty years, this had been a debate at my job. The "old-schoolers" always speak when they come in to work. The "youngins'" will come in without saying "good morning" or "hello" and later, just start a conversation (or as the old-schoolers say "like they slept in the bed with us last night"). I was raised to speak to someone when you enter a room, or if you haven't seen them yet that day. It does seem a little odd to start answering someone's question, when in essence, they haven't really acknowledged my existence yet (sort to speak). But, I don't get bent out of shape about it, either. What's your take on this?

I totally agree with you. I always, always, always said "good morning" even if I didn't mean it! That's just being plain rude not to acknowledge people when you walk into a room.

My DS (10) is learning that lesson NOW. I tell him he must say "good morning" to his teacher when he walks in his class in the morning. He used to say nothing ~ just walk in & take his desk. Once I found out about that, I was on his case. Truthfully, I never even thought to tell him that since I just "assumed" it was common sense!

people here don't say goodmonring, but i certainly don't work in an unfriendly office! we have cake for birthdays, cards and flowers for funerals, happy hours, etc. i just think people aren't morning people! :confused3 plus, as i mentioend, i don't work in a cube farm, so most people are in their own offices.

For the No's - Do you greet your boss?
i get here before her, so i don't say good morning, but i do try to touch base with her face to face once/day. i work mostly independently and my boss is only in the office 3 days/week. there have definitely been days when we didn't greet each other face to face, but only by e-mail.

caitycaity said:
people here don't say goodmonring, but i certainly don't work in an unfriendly office! .
my comments weren't directed at anyone in particular, no need to get riled up. :confused3 :confused3

I say good morning to a lot of people I meet up with. It would be impossible to say it to everyone considering I work in a high school. I'd lose my voice. :rotfl2:

Disney Ella said:
Everyone says hello where I work - young and old alike.

It's considered very rude not to greet fellow workers at my job too. It's one of the things I really love about my workmates; they are formal in that way but after that.....my my! :thumbsup2

I work with a woman who is from Guyana- she works nights, I work days-I take over from her at 6am-she told me one day that I was rude for not saying good morning as soon as I walked in the dooor-99% of the time, she is talking to someone else when I walk in-I thought I was being polite and not interrupting, but she thinks I'm rude, and now she doesn't answer me at all-I think I'm better off though cause she thinks I have it so much better than her..not! Just different. I can't win.

I'm not a morning person, but I am not rude. I say "hey" or "hello" or "g'morning" or something to someone. I dont' say it to groups, but to individuals. I'll smile or nod to groups.

We have a feel good kind of workplace and people generally say goodmorning/hello/howyadoin'/etc. :goodvibes

Maybe sometimes I guess I am rude,I never really thought about it.If I make eye contact with anyone coming towards me anywhere I usually smile,nood,say Hi.I usually don't just walk in a place and say Hi,or good morning or afternoon.Something to think about..hummmmmm

I always make an effort to greet everyone I come in contact with during the day. More often than not this action is not reciprocated. I try not to get discouraged and wish even the rude ones a nice day. They pretend they don't hear me. I just think "how sad to be that way." :wave2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter