Do you "speak" when you enter a room?

cardaway said:
Funny, the people I see doing this on a regular basis are also the ones who are always trying to attract attention to themselves.

Funny, I never thought that by walking onto my unit each evening and saying "Hello" to everyone sitting there, before I started working, was my way of trying to attract attention to myself. I thought that I was giving a general greeting to everyone for that day. How narcissistic of me.

Morning person or not, to ignore people that I come in contact with is rude, IMO. And I am NOT a morning person but I suck it up and go on. But I also try to not let my attitude problem affect others unless they were part of the problem, LOL!

Of course I acknowledge their presence when I see them for the first time. I would be considered a snot around my workplace if I acted like they weren't around. We are all very friendly to each other.

It totally depends on the audience. If I know my "good morning" will be well received, I will say it. If I know I'll get grunts for answers, I may not say anything.

I asked around my work about this and 1/2 the people say they need to speak when entering a room and the other 1/2 said they didn't

I am one of those that need to always speak when entering a room - but it you knew me, that would be no surprise. My mouth rarely shut's up ;)

Marseeya said:
I think it's rude not to acknowledge someone when you walk into a room for the first time that day. Even if you're not a "talker" in the morning (which I'm definitely not!), a nod or "morning" will do.

I totally agree.

I don't but I get into the room before most people and my desk is the first one inside the door (and we are in cubes so if someone DID come in before me I wouldn't know).

Its about 50/50 and not split on age if people say high or not as they enter and pass me. Honestly I would be fine if less people did. I get so into what I'm doing its kind of distracting... and sometimes when that happens and I forget to say high back because I was too busy being startled out of deep thought I'm sure people think I'm rude.

I generally don't care either way when people stop by later... actually sometimes I almost find it annoying when someone IMs me with just hello expects me to respond and then asks the question. It makes me feel like I have to stay and wait for the question and not get back to what I was doing.

For those that say you should say hello to everyone in the room... are your offices small? My entire department is in one BIG room. Over 100 people and I could go all day without even seeing the people that sit at the other end (there are three separate entrances) big.

We actually had a class that touched on this. The teacher said that basically there are people-oriented people, and task-oriented people. The people people always greet everyone, and the task people don't. I'm one of the task people, and I don't mean to be rude, I am usually just focused on something and I don't think about speaking to anyone. Since the people people get hurt by this, I've been trying to work on it, but it's tough.

We actually had a class that touched on this. The teacher said that basically there are people-oriented people, and task-oriented people. The people people always greet everyone, and the task people don't. I'm one of the task people, and I don't mean to be rude, I am usually just focused on something and I don't think about speaking to anyone. Since the people people get hurt by this, I've been trying to work on it, but it's tough.

This makes a lot more sense then the age thing to be honest... I am much more task driven and will admit during some of those monday morning "Hi how are you? How was your weekend?" exchanges thinking "Seriously I have a ton of work to do get to your point!"

I used to greet our receptionist every morning when I entered, but these days she can barely be bothered to take off her headphones and acknowledge me so I figured I was clearly annoying her by saying good morning, and I no longer do it. But it always feels weird to me to walk right past her desk to get to my office and not say anything to her.

Holy zombie thread, Batman!
WOW, 2006. I didnt notice until i saw your post. I almost replied!

But since im here........:teeth:

I dont have anyone to say good morning to as im the first one in. If i am not the first one in, I dont feel the need to interrupt everyone with a greeting (as everyone has their back turned to the door), so I just go to my desk quietly. Everyone else does the same thing. For them to see me at my desk they'd have to walk to where i am. Which is a nuisance cause they'd have to go out of their way.

When im leaving, i dont go out of my way to say goodbye to everyone in the office as I find it disruptive to shout "GOODBYE EVERYONE!". :laughing: I just say goodbye to the person next to me.

I speak if I make eye contact. When I walk though the rows of cubicles on the way to my office, most people have their backs to me, and I would rather not interrupt their work. There are a few people who are really offended if I don't do pleasantries before diving into work talk, and I am always aware of that when approaching them.

ETA: Haha - didn't catch the time hop.

I always said good morning when walking into the office.

I wasn't saying it to anyone in particular, just everybody in general.

Same thing when leaving the office for the day, said good evening or good night, to anyone in general.

I work in a huge cube farm. No, nobody says "hi" when they come in. Regardless of age.

Unless we make eye contact with people. But we don't just announce our arrival or anything.

Yes I always do. I do hate that awkward situation where you spoke, but then you see the person again a few minutes later in the hall... It's like what am I supposed to say this time (if anything)? :confused:

I'm an 'always greet people, usually with a smile' person. I'd rather be the annoyingly cheerful person than the one that brings others down. I don't know how to be the nicely, quiet person.

In my job it's bad form. I speak when I get to work. I really don't know how you can work next to a person and not acknowledge there existence.

It actually caused a bit of a blow up at Christmas in my building.

So, we have mail people who deliver our mail and every year we usually give out christmas gifts to the janitorial staff, the mail room staff and the cart staff (we have snack carts that go around). anyhoo, one guy Kenny does not speak to anyone, even when you say good morning, he'll just ignore you. Pisses people off (including me so I stop speaking to him). anyway last Christmas my admin. assistance took up the job of collecting for the support staff and not a sole gave a dime for Kenny. she didn't know what to do. we usually collect 300-400 bucks for each staff and people were specifically requesting their gift not go to him.
Every last person said he was rude.
in the interest of full disclosure, I said the same thing. I still feel he is rude.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter