Do you take vitamins and supplements?

MrsCobraBubbles

Life's too short to wear pants all the time
Or do you think it's just a waste of money?

If you do, what do you take?

I just watched the episode of Big Bang Theory where Sheldon tells Penny that it's stupid to buy supplements and it got me thinking.

I take a multivitamin (Flintstones chewables :) ) and fish oil daily, and occasionally I'll take a biotin supplement, extra iron, and B vitamins. I don't eat meat; I get anemic sometimes and I need more iron than I can get from a multivitamin.

I take Vitamin D for my MS and cranberry pills to help with UTI’s. Apparently I have one all the time it just doesn’t affect me at all. All other medications are prescribed.

I take Vitamin D for my MS and cranberry pills to help with UTI’s. Apparently I have one all the time it just doesn’t affect me at all. All other medications are prescribed.
Ugh, UTIs are awful! The biotin, extra iron and B vitamins that I take were all suggested by my doctor. It's ironic, but they were suggested to counteract the effects of the prescribed medications that I take. After my asthma and allergies started getting worse and I was put on daily steroids my hair and nails started getting thinner and brittle, I also started having more problems with my iron.

I’ve got raging IBS and my bloodwork always shows deficient levels of one thing or another, in addition to being chronically dehydrated. I don’t really bother with regular OTC multi’s because part of the tummy issue is something called “rapid gastric dumping” and the big vitamin pills don’t break down quick enough to be absorbed.

Right now I’m on a prescription mega-dose of potassium and a prescription iron supplement. I get B-12 shots occasionally but more often just take sublingual tablets. I took huge amounts of Omega 3 for several months to try and lower my cholesterol (I refused statins) and it worked remarkably but alas, aggravated my reflux and the IBS something fierce so I’m off it right now.

Ugh, UTIs are awful! The biotin, extra iron and B vitamins that I take were all suggested by my doctor. It's ironic, but they were suggested to counteract the effects of the prescribed medications that I take. After my asthma and allergies started getting worse and I was put on daily steroids my hair and nails started getting thinner and brittle, I also started having more problems with my iron.

They are! But, for whatever reason, I have no symptoms. The only reason we know I have a permanent one is because I have to do monthly urine tests to test for a side effect of meds I took two years ago. I’m not sure the cranberry is helping but it’s not hurting so why not. I get a bottle at Costco that’s like $11 for a whole years worth of pills lol

They are! But, for whatever reason, I have no symptoms. The only reason we know I have a permanent one is because I have to do monthly urine tests to test for a side effect of meds I took two years ago. I’m not sure the cranberry is helping but it’s not hurting so why not. I get a bottle at Costco that’s like $11 for a whole years worth of pills lol
:flower3: Sounds a little scary. Apparently many elderly ladies have chronic UTI’s (especially coupled with dementia) and it’s not uncommon for that to be what finally finishes them.

Autoimmune stuff here. Take multivitamin, vit d, mineral blend for leg cramps, ferritin, magnesium, natural thyroid hormone, drink powdered colostrum. All from holistic dr and not store brand.

Started this abt 4 years ago and have never felt better in my life.

Time for annual bloodwork to see if all is still ok.

I take a multivitamin and fiber supplement, but mainly as an excuse to eat gummies. Sometimes I remember to take B12 and occasionally I need iron supplements.

:flower3: Sounds a little scary. Apparently many elderly ladies have chronic UTI’s (especially coupled with dementia) and it’s not uncommon for that to be what finally finishes them.

You think a flower will take away the sting of you calling me an old lady LOL

I have no symptoms and there’s just a little blood every month. Every doctor who knows about it isn’t concerned so, for now, neither am I.

I used to think multivitamins were a scam, so I stopped taking them. A couple years later, I found out I had a major vitamin D deficiency. It makes sense, I guess--I have a lactose intolerance, so I avoid dairy, and I also get sun poisoning, so I avoid the sun.

My doctor gave me major vitamin D supplements for a short time, now I take regular multivitamins plus an OTC D supplement. I feel much better. I also try to be more mindful about getting some sun exposure and having some dairy (with Lactaid).

Cannot take most Rx because of a chemical injury years ago. So I take supplements for the myriads of miseries resulting from that exposure. But I try to take mostly food based supplements and avoid additives. I religiously take turmeric, Vitamin C and D, milk thistle, natural thyroid, collagen, coconut oil. Also ingest mushroom compounds for cancer and haven't had a recurrence for a while so guess I will keep doing it.

It's expensive, but you have to try.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter