Do you take vitamins and supplements?

It would be impossible for a person to get everything they need from their diet because no one's diet is perfect. Supplements just help to make up for those deficiencies. If someone feels fine without taking any, good for them! Personally, I feel better taking certain ones, especially for the things I'm trying to work on (hair/nail growth, dry skin). I take a multivitamin, fish oil, biotin, collagen, B-complex, and a probiotic.

I have heard (from a nurse) that prenatal vitamins are good for you even if you are not pregnant.

My doctor’s office recommends it for all women of child bearing age because you normally find out you’re pregnant after a critical period for folic acid has passed, folic acid deficiencies can cause neural tube defects and adding it to foods and encouraging supplementation in women of child bearing age has greatly reduced these birth defects.

It’s of course still recommended to continue with a prenatal for the entire pregnancy, but the baby does so much developing in those first few weeks it’s of great benefit to have already started (generally they want a woman to have folic acid in her system 4 weeks before pregnancy).

I’m not sure if there is a benefit for a woman to have a prenatal vs. a woman’s multivitamin outside of childbearing age.

Nothing here. In my opinion, waste of money and in some cases harmful. Just eat right and exercise.

Articles such as this one https://www.cbsnews.com/media/consumer-reports-10-hidden-dangers-of-vitamins/ pretty much tell me there is not much reason to waste my money or risk my health using any type of "supplement".

This is one of those subjects where one size does not fit all. A lot of it has to do with age and whether you have any underlying conditions. When I was young, I didn't take anything. Now, I am taking Fish Oil (my father died of heart disease) and Flaxseed Oil (prescribed by my doctor). My B-12 drops on a regular basis. When it does, they have my go to my oncologist office for B-12 shots. I've had cancer twice, so I figure taking a couple of things is worth the money and effort.

My daughter has an autoimmune condition. They are still trying to determine what it is exactly. Her vitamin D and B-12 levels are practically non-existent, so she is on prescription levels for both.

I do think people go crazy self-medicating, but sometimes certain vitamins and supplements is necessary and totally worth the money.

I didn't take anything, then I found out I have a D deficiency. I take a D and added a multi just because I figured maybe something else was missing. I will say some aching I had in some bones/joints has gone away and I seem to be shedding less hair. I always stayed away from vitamins before now.

Most of the people would not take vitamins and supplement rather they get all nutrients by eating healthy food. Vitamins and supplement provides iron, calcium and vitamins c is really important for human body to live healthy life. Some people take it too much but it highly suggested by the expert not to take it too long. It could result in harmful diseases. It is also recommended to group of people who are suffering from the health problem. I know sometimes it gets costly but it’ really effective for some people who are at risk of deficiency.

I'm divorced and eat horribly. I can cook, I like to cook, I just don't want to be messing around at 9:30 at night with cooking/eating/cleaning up. I'm out with the kids almost every weekend and rarely are we home.

I should take a multivitamin. I have horrid heat tolerance and if it wouldn't cost me a ton of money, I would see what a doctor would say. Don't have the ton of cash it would take so I deal with it which is very tough as someone who wants to be touring on the bicycle with my friends all summer.

I read something about vitamin B deficiency and heat tolerance, B-12 I think specifically, so I started taking that. Seemed to help a little bit. Really what helps is only ice cold water which is kind of difficult to carry on the bicycle at 8 lb. per gallon and the fact that ice water is 90° water within 2 hours on the bike. I carry a gallon and just recently saw first hand how awesome the stainless insulated containers are. Significant weight added due to the extra weight of the stainless vs plastic bottle as well since I carry around a gallon and a half, or four 48 ounce bottles, plus the bottle in the cage, and another bottle I use to mix gatorade powder.

I’ve got some gastro issues that result in various vitamin deficiencies showing up on my bloodwork. My doctor will prescribe supplements and I take them, as well as going for periodic follow-up blood tests to make sure levels are coming up. The weird thing is I never really feel any different with or without them so after a few months I stop being diligent about taking them and the cycle starts over. :upsidedow

I didn’t until I was diagnosed with a B12 deficiency in my early 30s. The deficiency was extremely painful (nerve pain) and even though I am no longer deficient due to taking supplements I still have permanent damage in my legs that still flares up. I never want to go through that again, so I take lots of vitamins.

I didn’t until I was diagnosed with a B12 deficiency in my early 30s. The deficiency was extremely painful (nerve pain) and even though I am no longer deficient due to taking supplements I still have permanent damage in my legs that still flares up. I never want to go through that again, so I take lots of vitamins.
I’m taking sublingual B12 for neuropathy - I can’t say it’s helping much. :(

Multi V women over 50 daily... the doctor said that I need them with Thyroid problems... not sure if they are necessary, but I do what the doc said, and my blood works looks really great, all my levels are back in line... and I do feel much better...

Lots of Vitamin C right before we travel, and during travel... Doctor suggested... to boost immune system, she said just regular Vitamin C, "not that crap Airborne immune whatever"... her words not mine... as well to eat foods that boost the immune system when traveling... she is like when your on vacation most people tend to eat all the good stuff.... not the most healthy choices... so she gave me a list of things to try to eat or add into meals, to boost the immune system... plus it will keep your body working and in better condition when you are traveling...

Her tips for travel... Flu shot is a must, ... plenty of sleep, lots of water, balance in diet...Vitamin C, wash your hands constantly and make sure to get over the wrist to mid arm... Carry hand soap - nothing is better than soap and water, and antibacterial wipes, and don't be shy about using them... I am allergic to coconut, and lots of hand soap now contain coconut water, oil, butter in them, so for me its a matter of not wanting to break out or have a reaction to it...

I’m taking sublingual B12 for neuropathy - I can’t say it’s helping much. :(
It took about 1.5 months for the neuropathy to go away for me. It was so painful that I even ended up in the ER at one point. However, the permanent damage/leg pain continues. Seems more like a circulation issue at this point, however. I get relief by exercising. I didn’t have this problem before the deficiency. I hope you get some relief soon.

It’s not properly regulated in the US. If my doctor really thinks I need something, then I’ll get a prescription for pharmacy grade vitamins.

I eat fairly healthy, and for years assumed I didn't need vitamins. Then in my forties, my hair started to really thin. And I read something about glucosomine chondroitin, and joint health. Fast forward, I'm in my fifties, and take a multivitamin, Osteo Biflex, omega 3, and magnesium. Not sure which of these caused it, but my hair grew back in. I'm positive the Osteo Biflex helps me recover from workouts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter