Do you think CMs will be blocked out when the parks first open?

You’re not wrong at all. I don’t fully understand how it can be justified that CM can’t access the parks during this time. I get my magic from the parks just as much as anyone else. I shouldn’t be forced to buy tickets if my main perk for being a CM is theme park access. I’ve done my fair share of crying and I’m just not sure what else I can do at this point.
While I understand your frustration, access to the parks is just what you said it is a "perk". Perks can be granted or taken away at anytime.

The justification is relatively simple. Disney wants to limit access to the parks to X number of people. Which is better X number paying people or X-Y=Z where X is still the desired attendance. Y is the number of CM allowed free attendance and Z is the number of paying people.

I think many of the CMs would like to have as many paying guests, if it means the difference of collecting a pay check or not. I imagine for many CMs, the free entrance is a nice perk but it is the paycheck that matters to them.
Disney wants to generate as much revenue as possible during these different times.

I worked for a large multinational corporation and they periodical would change the perks. If a perk that was considered important to me was going to be eliminated , I would have considered looking at another company. It didn't happen though.

Last edited:
Actual, it is considered part of our compensation and not so much a "perk." If I worked the same job for 24 years, I think I would be making more than $17 per hour....

Actual, it is considered part of our compensation and not so much a "perk." If I worked the same job for 24 years, I think I would be making more than $17 per hour....
Are you a union worker? If so, is this "perk" in the union contract. If you are not a union worker then it can be withdrawn at any time. If you are working under a union contract and if this is not explicitly spelled out in the contract, then again it can be removed at any time.

Any expectation otherwise is simply naive.

For a short while 22 years ago, I worked in IT in the Orlando area. My now wife thought for sure I would end up working at Disney. However the reputation in Orlando in regards to Disney and their treatment of IT personnel was abysmal. Let's just say I never applied for a job at Disney no matter the benefit of the free tickets.

In regards to working in the same job for 24 years and expecting to making more than $17/hour. Depends on the job. Some job categories have had escalation in their relative per hour pay rate taking in account of inflation while others have been relatively stagnant and even have actually decreased.

While it may not be "fair" in your eyes, you need to make a decision if you should look for other employment, since Disney has taken away this benefit (at least for the short term).

About 17 years ago, I learned that in general large corporations don't care about individuals. Decided to look out for myself and acted accordingly. Made myself valuable to the Corporation and lower my expectations in regards to loyalty that I would receive from the Corporation.

Are you a union worker? If so, is this "perk" in the union contract. If you are not a union worker then it can be withdrawn at any time. If you are working under a union contract and if this is not explicitly spelled out in the contract, then again it can be removed at any time.

For a short while 22 years ago, I worked in IT in the Orlando area. My now wife thought for sure I would end up working at Disney. However the reputation in Orlando in regards to Disney and their treatment of IT personnel was abysmal. Let's just say I never applied for a job at Disney no matter the benefit of the free tickets.

In regards to working in the same job for 24 years and expecting to making more than $17/hour. Depends on the job. Some job categories have had escalation in their relative per hour pay rate taking in account of inflation while others have been relatively stagnant and even have actually decreased.

While it may not be "fair" in your eyes, you need to make a decision if you should look for other employment, since Disney has taken away this benefit (at least for the short term).

About 17 years ago, I learned that in general large corporations don't care about individuals. Decided to look out for myself and acted accordingly. Made myself valuable to the Corporation and lower my expectations in regards to loyalty that I would receive from the Corporation.

Without this benefit, Disney loses a lot of its appeal. Its the only reason they could get away with paying dirt wages and salaries for decades.

The perks aren't going away, they are just temporarily suspended.

I found WDW to be a fine employer and pretty much did more for a CM than a big corporation would normally do. Maybe it was because I was in Disney Transport but management bent over backwards to help me when I was laid off from my normal 9-5 job and was flexible when I was back normal. This meant more to me than free admits.

Ok guys, we leave tomorrow morning. My CM daughter has "two sets of comp tickets." Is that the same as "one day park hopper guest ticket" listed on the blockout calendar, or are these comp tickets not blocked out? Once she links one to her MDE does it look like a regular (non-CM) ticket? She is wanting to use one on Wednesday to come to HS with us. Thank you for any insight.

Ok guys, we leave tomorrow morning. My CM daughter has "two sets of comp tickets." Is that the same as "one day park hopper guest ticket" listed on the blockout calendar, or are these comp tickets not blocked out? Once she links one to her MDE does it look like a regular (non-CM) ticket? She is wanting to use one on Wednesday to come to HS with us. Thank you for any insight.
Maybe she can sign up for epcot, act fast though

I have been working jobs since 1985, some of them retail. It is standard business practice to give discounts in lieu of cash compensation. I am not naive; I am knowledgable and know what MY job includes or doesn't. Nor am I looking for a new job - I already have 2. I have been an administrator in my full time job for over 25 years and I certainly make more than $17 per hour.

Hi all, I thought I would give you an update on my CM daughters ability to use her comp ticket and join us in parks. She did get a spot for a cm preview at Epcot that we joined her for. We had a fun evening and ate at Le Cellier.
On the first morning that resort guests with tickets were able to make park pass reservations the system let me get one at Hollywood Studios for cm daughter as well as ourselves even though she hadn’t linked her comp pass yet. When I tried to do the same thing a few days later it wouldn’t let me get park pass for her on a different day, so that would not wine. She later linked her comp pass. I was nervous that she wouldn’t be able to get in, but it worked and we spent all day in Hollywood Studios together yesterday! Thank you everyone for your input!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter