Do you think I need a passport??????

pkitty

Yo Ho Yo Ho a pirates life for me
Okay Everbody...it's input time!!!!!
Considering our precarious global situation at this time does anyone think that I'll require a passport to cross over into Detroit this time around???Has anyone driven over the last little while and encountered a real hassle???? I'am not an alarmist and my husband is a cop so we have never had any trouble whatsoever. We've planned a domestic trip this time around just so that we'll be close to home if things go bad(hopefully they won't). I'am just wondering...we leave March 5th so I'am cutting it close if I do require one??? So let's hear your experiences, if you've had any, over the last few weeks!!!! Thanks everybody:( :confused: :( :D :eek: :confused:

Talked with DD's teacher and she said that her and her fiance go into Niagara Falls every couple of weeks and just last weekend said that they had no problems.

I think that in the future, it will become mandadorty to have a passport but then again I've always travelled with one just to make it easier!

When we went thru the airport this time, they actually looked at all my paperwork and even asked about the letter from the sperm donator. Ok I haven't dealt with her so called father since 1995! But that's another story!

m2cw!

Scratch
:smooth:

I would say that if you have a passport, you should take it with you. I haven't driven across the border in a while, but I've found that the US customs officers tend to ask fewer questions when you show them a passport.

Thanks Guys!!!
The last question we were ever asked crossing the border @ detroit was whether or not my husband was carrying his side arm...he replied "Of course not you know that I can't carry my firearm across the border with me!!" to that, the border agent responded by saying "Well I wouldn't be travelling through Detroit without it!!!!" What a comedian. It's definately something to consider in the near future...I've travelled without one...Carribean and places like that...for so long that I never really thought about it until recently!!!!! Oh and Scratch I'll be travelling with the sperm donor in this particular case (tee hee!!)!!!!:p

But if you don't have a passport.. it might be too late to get one, bureaucratic red tape and all, you know. Prior to Sept 2001, I always got in with just my birth certificate; the only change now is that they also like to see my driver's licence. I thought it might be because my picture is actually pretty great compared to most licences - but egos aside, it's probably just for security. :teeth:

My IL's live 10 minutes from Fort Erie so we often go over without our passports. If you are not Canadian born though I would definitely have it.

We have passports (daughter too, she's 7) and I find that it's just less of a hassle if you have one. You just never know with the state of our world lately. We take it with us even when we fly in Canada.

We were not going to bother getting our passports either but with a possible war looming over all of us, we've decided to get them just in case we need them and overall just to make things easier when crossing the border and security etc.:)

Also it only takes an average of 10 working days to get a passport.:)

When we drove to WDW last Christmas (post 9/11) we decided to obtain passports for the 4 of us. When we crossed the border (at Sarnia/Port Huron) we had the van loaded with wrapped Christmas presents. We had visions of having to open everything and rewrapping it afterwards. We showed the woman in the booth our passports - she asked us a couple of questions and never even looked in the back of the van.

The last thing she said to us as she handed back the passports was "You were smart to get these".

For what it's worth.....

- Mike

We live down this way. I crossed Saturday morning (Feb. 8/03) with the Americans on "High" security alert. I guess everyone stayed at home because we drove right to the customs agent with no other cars in line. Two pieces of ID are required - birth certificate and driver's licence are sufficient. Three simple questions and we were on our way. We cross in Detroit all the time and have never had any problems. The only ones that make problems are the media!

You don't need a passport at this time to get into the States - wouldn't be surprised if that changes in the future, though. My DH and DS crossed into Detroit a couple of weeks ago, and all they asked for were driver's licences so make sure you have both your birth certificate and some form of photo ID. I think the biggest hassle will be the amount of time it will take to cross into the US if they go to war. They'll probably be sending a lot more people to secondary inspections. :(

Great info everyone....I'll keep it in mind Thanks!!!!Pkitty!!!

We always bring our passports when we travel. Even got a new one for DS (11). It is worth the money just for the added convenience they bring us. Are they required? Not yet. Does having them help? Absolutely!

John

Originally posted by golferboy
. The only ones that make problems are the media!
I totally agree with this. We usually get, "What is your citizenship? Where are you going? And for how long?" We have had no hassles in probably 2 dozen crossings since 9/11.

You may feel more comfortable having them but you will not have a lot of hassles if you don't. So I wouldn't sweat it.

The 10 business days to obtain a passport is when you drop it off at a passport office. It takes longer if you need to mail the application office in Ottawa.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter