Do you think you respond differently depending on the poster?

When it comes to a thread, I usually read the OP, or at least start to before I get bored and form an opinion. I'm not interested in doctorial theses about some family drama. My eyes start to glaze over somewhere in the second paragraph.

Then I will look at who the poster is.

I know there are certain posters with certain opinions. Usually it doesn't surprise me when certain posters say certain things.

I hope I don't.

I will admit to spending more time figuring out who you are, tho; just like I do some of our "newest" DISers. :)

Last edited:

The beauty of posting anonymous is that you will get the uncut, and unabridged, true responses.
Unless one truly only does want to hear what they want to hear from those who don't want to offend somebody they know.

To answer your question, I think I am fairly good at being true to my own viewpoints and objective. I try not to just go off on my own 'assumptions' and re-read the posts and look for the main facts of the situation. (Yes, it is true that others are all about thier viewpoint or personal agenda) I might post some additional comments towards a poster that I am familiar with, because I have that input. but my basic viewpoints do not sway according to who it is or which way the wind is blowing.

Using a new user name and pointing it out automatically paints you in a bad light.
Not for me... I would have to disagree with that. I beleive that one thing that chatboards like this is all about is to be able to post anonymously, for that reason, and for basic privacy.

Once somebody has posted for some time, and has become familiar, the only way to do that is to post as a different anonymous person. I have never done that, because I know what happens when you post for advice about anything that is going to be seen as controversial. But, do not see posting anonymously as a bad thing, at all.

Most of the time I don’t even notice who is posting. If a thread title catches my attention I click on it. Couldn’t tell you who the poster is most times.

I'm the same. I scroll through the text and only very occasionally look at who the actual poster is when responding. I have certainly read threads when there's clearly history between a few people that is being played out, though.
If I do notice a new poster, though, starting a controversial topic as one of their first posts, I generally give it the side-eye and assume the person is actually a pot-stirrer, not someone fun here to join the conversation.

Possibly if I can recall anything in particular about whoever is posting, which doesn't automatically mean anything negative. My job is a constantly changing swirl of different faces and different life circumstances that I delve pretty deeply into for a short-ish window of time. Some people I never see or hear about again, others return sometime later, sometimes as tangentially related to another case. It's been very disorienting to the way my memory used to work with recalling names and details about people. "Knowing" people here at a distance of a screen makes it much harder to keep people straight, even when I recognize a user name. Generally my thoughts are strictly about the topic at hand.

I didn't post on that thread, although I have read it. It wouldn't matter to me who was posting. There are only a couple of regular posters I recognize and generally agree with. I do have a rather long 'Ignore' list of people who posts I don't want to waste my time reading

Yes, I definitely do. If someone has always seemed kind, and makes an effort to provide helpful info, then I tend to respond similarly, and give them the benefit of the doubt if they seem to be having an off day. That goes both ways though.

I'm the same. I scroll through the text and only very occasionally look at who the actual poster is when responding. I have certainly read threads when there's clearly history between a few people that is being played out, though.
If I do notice a new poster, though, starting a controversial topic as one of their first posts, I generally give it the side-eye and assume the person is actually a pot-stirrer, not someone fun here to join the conversation.

I agree with not really noticing. I also agree with someone brand new starting a controversial post giving me pause - which is exactly why the original poster explained that she wasn't new. I appreciated the explanation and have no problem with people changing names if they feel like they've been identified in real life. Though I've never had the need, I'd probably do that too.

So I unknowingly started a very controversial thread and got some harsh responses. I totally get the harsh responses because to some posters it is very black and white. But it led me to think, if I had posted with my old account, will the responses be less harsh? I've been posting since 2003, although I'm not super active, I've had many thread interactions with posters that were very harsh on my other thread. I'm wondering if they knew the real me, and my posts through the years. Would they have formed an opinion of the 'real' me and will they have responded to my post differently? (maybe still point out my wrong, just not so harsh....lol)
99% of the time no. Generally I don't look at who the poster is. However, there have been a few times over the last decade or so when I start reading a post and the tone will sound very familiar and then I'll look at the poster...most times if it's gotten to that point, I just back out and ignore that thread lol

It could possibly depend on whether the original poster usually has a snarky and mean attitude towards others on the board. I don't see a need to go out of my way and be rude to people. I do know that some posters are at different ability levels than others and to keep that in mind when responding; as what they were trying to share or ask may not come out as they had intended and needs further clarification.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter