Do you WDW veterans feel like I do.....

P...you hit it on the head! our trip to WDW will be "probably" be a one time only and I really don't want to screw it up. Granted we said that with our first WDW trip and have now gone 7 times :smooth: .

It just seems more complicated...
Offsite vs. onsite. It seems to me I hear more about the HoJos being great then the DLR.
Fantasmic dessert buffet...??Is it worth it..do you need to do it???
Character meals..did i read that right $35.00/pperson at Goofy's kitchen???

Then the whole Knotts, San diego zoo, Wildlife park etc... :confused3

:badpc: . I have started my Cardiac Stress Test again!! :rotfl:

DisOrBust

I think you've pretty much isolated most of the material differences in your small list; don't worry; you're on the right track. First, a major difference between DL and WDW in my opinion is the onsite/offsite thing. At WDW, this is a very major decision that affects an awful lot and in a lot of ways is one of the very first decisions you need to make. But you can't take that attitude at DL. It's much less significant of a decision. In fact, we're planning a trip to DL in September, and we haven't even started to think about where to stay yet, even though it's the first thing we decide for WDW. It just doesn't matter that much. You've got the GC, which is nice and right on the doorsteps of the parks, but after that, it's pretty much 6 of 1, half dozen of the other. The DLH is fine. But it's no closer to the parks than a dozen other hotels. You get a little more disney magic there, the pool is great, Goofy's Kitchen is there. Second, fantasmic dessert -- definitely one of the toughest planning issues for DL. Lots of pros and cons. Read the board for 30 minutes and you'll have your answer. Third, Goofy's Kitchen is outrageous. I don't understand how they get away with the cost. It's basically Chef Mickeys for nearly twice the price. But what are you gonna do? When in Rome . . .

But after you decide those three things, you're pretty much done. No fretting about MYW tickets or water parks or how to get from Artists Point to the Boardwalk in 30 minutes or less, etc.

The best thing about DL is if you stick with the holy trinity of rules:

1. get to the gates 30 minutes prior to opening,Head for FL if important then Indy...ride then get FP for later

2. Leave by 1 pm on crowded days and swim etc

3. Return to close the park down ( remembering that means leaving 1 hr after closing)

you will have a blast even in the worst crowds! It really is almost that easy....any further planning is frosting.

UOG for DL is overkill ;) , however I understand the driving need to Plan Plan Plan!

I'll second that holy trinity as a good set of overriding thoughts to follow.

One addition though - maybe a 2A.

If DL is crowded, head over to CA. We've found that CA is generally less crowded, was built more openly with wider streets and thoroughfares to make it feel bigger.

For me, it wasn't so much that Disneyland was more difficult to figure out as it was trying to figure out a way to do ALL the things I wanted to do in Southern California. Like at WDW I could spend 5 - 7 simply in WDW vs. in California - I needed 2 whole weeks. I figured I needed 4 days in Anaheim, 4 days in San Diego/Tijuana, and 7 whole days in Los Angeles. That's where all the confusion has come in for me. Like others have mentioned I bought Birnbaum's Disneyland Resort Book, Frommer's Los Angeles Book 2005, GPS Adventures Pocket Guide to LA, and Frommer's San Diego 2005. I'm reading all them highlighting what I want to do, etc. That's why Southern California is so difficult for me.

I guess I'm just not that much of a major planner, I mean I went nuts on our WDW trip because it was our first trip with the kids. But for all of our trips to DL and DLP I just got a hotel, got the tickets and called it a day!

I've stressed out more planning the Vegas portion of our trip, now that's been hard! :crazy:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter