Do your kids carry their own bags?

akayf

Mouseketeer
My boys are 6 and 9. I don't want to be a pack mule so I was planning on having them carry cinch sack backpacks. If your kids carry their own bags, what do they use and put in them? I was thinking of having them carry their water bottle, poncho and extra shirt.

btw-We are not doing autograph books. We are bringing photo mats and I plan on keeping those in my bag since I dont want them to get ruined.

Yes. My kids are older now, but we started going when the youngest was 6. I made all of them keep up with their own stuff (money, snacks, autograph book, etc.) and it helped a lot. They were always with me so it's not like I had to worry about them losing anything.

Always,they're older now, but just like at home they carried what they wanted with them. I like a waistpack with snacks,etc they choose, plus a light jacket tied on their waist,and good to go. We never carried bottles, it's easy enough to ask for free water everywhere and water is heavy.

Mine have always had their own bags. The first trip they had these cute little matching mini-backpacks. Each bag fit a snack, their autograph book, pen, and a trinket or two. We didn't do water bottles back then, just bought one as needed and shared it, then refilled it at a water fountain (they were nicer back then - cold, clear water) etc. First trip they were 5 and 2 1/2. Yes, the 2 1/2 year old had a back pack!

Nope. As I mentioned in a thread in a different section of DIS, we have a "gear stroller". We bring our own food into the parks, so the stroller is a necessity so that we don't have to carry the food bag. It's WAY easier than you'd think. Since we have the stroller anyway, DW has a moderate size canvas bag that we keep our stuff in. It's just $.98 ponchos, a couple of power banks for phones, maybe the kids autograph books, and maybe DW's drink bottle (she likes to make flavored water). Beyond that, the only thing our kids have are their lanyards, which they wear most of the time anyway. If they ever take them off, we put them in the canvas bag. So none of us are really carrying anything, it all goes on the stroller. We don't bring water in (except for DWs flavored if she makes it), we get free ice water from QS places.

If they want a bag, they have to carry it. But we don't take water bottles, ponchos, or extra shirts ... so there really isn't a need for them to carry a bag. I just carry a small cross body purse.

My kids are in college now, but we have always taken one cinch bag or backpack and taken turns wearing it. Though. my hubby wears it more than anyone else. Last trip we actually ditched it and used a fanny pack. We do not need much in the parks.

Nope. As I mentioned in a thread in a different section of DIS, we have a "gear stroller". We bring our own food into the parks, so the stroller is a necessity so that we don't have to carry the food bag. It's WAY easier than you'd think. Since we have the stroller anyway, DW has a moderate size canvas bag that we keep our stuff in. It's just $.98 ponchos, a couple of power banks for phones, maybe the kids autograph books, and maybe DW's drink bottle (she likes to make flavored water). Beyond that, the only thing our kids have are their lanyards, which they wear most of the time anyway. If they ever take them off, we put them in the canvas bag. So none of us are really carrying anything, it all goes on the stroller. We don't bring water in (except for DWs flavored if she makes it), we get free ice water from QS places.

But you do carry stuff - your wallets, phones, etc. They are just in pockets, right? And you said your wife carries a bag?

At what age would you expect your children will be ready to be responsible and carry their own stuff?

My son (now 9) has a Star Wars waist pack that he has used since he was 7 to carry his camera and autograph book. The only other stuff we carry in the park is in a small back back of mine, a couple of ponchos, sunscreen, sunglasses and my ID.

Nope. Then again, they don't need much. When they did, we had a stroller.

We don't have autograph books but rather an autograph project like pillowcases, T-shirts or a photo mat, and that goes in my purse or DH's backpack.

We don't bring in water. We just buy it. The convenience far outweighs the cost. Same thing with snacks because Disney has made it easier to find things like pretzels and fruit. Not that we don't love the occasional corn dog nugget but it would make the kids sick to eat a lot of that type of food because we don't eat it at home. So, I'm glad to have this option because we would otherwise be forced to bring in snacks.

They do wear their own lanyard and sunglasses/hat. They like to carry their own souvenirs too. We always have to get separate bags. :laughing:

Recently DD has been into purses so we will see what happens on our next trip. I don't care either way. As I said, they don't need enough "stuff" for it to be an issue.

But you do carry stuff - your wallets, phones, etc. They are just in pockets, right? And you said your wife carries a bag?

At what age would you expect your children will be ready to be responsible and carry their own stuff?

Well, sure, we have our wallets and phones, but like you said those are in our pockets. I'm assuming when we're talking about "carrying" things, we mean things not in our pockets. Our kids don't really have much of their own stuff. Their lanyards, which they wear around their neck. The autograph book...sometimes. But what point would it serve to make them "carry" them in their hands if we already have a bag with us that has our ponchos or DWs' water bottle (and I forgot...sometimes my hat if it's not sunny)? We've already got the stroller with us for our food, and we already have our canvas bag. Don't see a reason to make them walk around holding an autograph book. Seems kinda silly. If they wanted to bring 10 toys, 3 books, and a partridge in a pear tree, sure. But for the very little stuff they have, seems pointless. And to get technical, for the times when we don't leave the stroller somewhere in stroller parking, the kids actually fight over who's turn it is to push it, so DW and I have nothing in our hands. When we leave the stroller in parking somewhere, anything the kids want with them, they carry...or we'll put it in the canvas bag and again they argue over who gets to carry it.

ROFL at this thread. Everyone must have trained little soldiers on this board. My kids would be happy to carry their own bags, but I prefer the bags actually making it back to the hotel at the end of the day. What 6 year old is not going to lose their bag? My 8 year old could probably manage to lose his sneakers at the park if we didn't watch him.

Last edited:
When my kids were younger we never really brought stuff in like xtra clothes, water bottles and stuff so if they wanted to bring something in then they would have to be responsible to carry it. There were trips where they had autograph books and their pins to trade. They just used their cinch sacks to carry that stuff.

I don't carry a huge bag, and even if I did I'm not going to carry my kids' stuff when they are perfectly capable of doing it themselves.

My kids always carried their own backpacks. First visit they were 8 and 5. They didn't carry much but a hoodie (depending on weather), coin purse, their cameras and their ponchos. If they decided to buy something then they had to carry it

We took the minimum required, so the kids didn't need bookbags. Took one diaper bag when we have a child in diapers. Now we have one person carrying a purse for meds. That's it.

Well, sure, we have our wallets and phones, but like you said those are in our pockets. I'm assuming when we're talking about "carrying" things, we mean things not in our pockets. Our kids don't really have much of their own stuff. Their lanyards, which they wear around their neck. The autograph book...sometimes. But what point would it serve to make them "carry" them in their hands if we already have a bag with us that has our ponchos or DWs' water bottle (and I forgot...sometimes my hat if it's not sunny)? We've already got the stroller with us for our food, and we already have our canvas bag. Don't see a reason to make them walk around holding an autograph book. Seems kinda silly. If they wanted to bring 10 toys, 3 books, and a partridge in a pear tree, sure. But for the very little stuff they have, seems pointless. And to get technical, for the times when we don't leave the stroller somewhere in stroller parking, the kids actually fight over who's turn it is to push it, so DW and I have nothing in our hands. When we leave the stroller in parking somewhere, anything the kids want with them, they carry...or we'll put it in the canvas bag and again they argue over who gets to carry it.

You're planning on using a baby stroller to haul everyone's stuff forever? Even when the kids are in college? Do you use it everywhere, or just at WDW?

ROFL at this thread. Everyone must have trained little soldiers on this board. My kids would be happy to carry their own bags, but I prefer the bags actually making it back to the hotel at the end of the day. What 6 year old is not going to lose their bag? My 8 year old could probably manage to lose his sneakers at the park if we didn't watch him.

They've forgotten stuff, but that's part of learning to be responsible.

My boys are 6 and 9. I don't want to be a pack mule so I was planning on having them carry cinch sack backpacks. If your kids carry their own bags, what do they use and put in them? I was thinking of having them carry their water bottle, poncho and extra shirt.

btw-We are not doing autograph books. We are bringing photo mats and I plan on keeping those in my bag since I dont want them to get ruined.

I'm not a pack mule, but I wouldn't have my kids carry that much stuff around the park. I'd skip most of what you plan to have them carry. They don't need a water bottle -- you can get free cups of water at any quick serve location. The ponchos, yes, I would carry those for my kids (but my kids hate ponchos and would rather just get wet and not wear them because they are too hot in a poncho). And why do they need to carry an extra shirt? If they spill on themselves, just spot clean it in the restroom with a paper towel, soap and water. Change when you get back to the room. And if there's a real crisis, I'd just buy a new shirt rather than carry it all day, how often does this really present as an issue for a 6 year old and 9 year old? A 2 or 3 year old, sure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter