Doctor Leaves Surgery Patient to Visit Bank

olena

<font color=green>Emerald Angel<br><font color=mag
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. (Reuters) - A Massachusetts doctor has been suspended for leaving a patient on the operating table midway through spinal surgery so he could deposit a check at his local bank, authorities said on Thursday.
The state board of medicine said David Arndt, an orthopedic surgeon, posed "an immediate threat to the public health, safety and welfare" after he left the patient last month with an open incision in his back.
Arndt left behind a surgeon who was not qualified to complete the surgery, according to board documents. After his 35-minute trip to the bank, Arndt returned to the operating room and finished the surgery within a few hours.
The patient, who was anesthetized during the procedure to restabilize his spine, apparently did not suffer any harm from Arndt's absence and was able to recover in the intensive care unit of Mount Auburn Hospital.
The board on Wednesday suspended Arndt's license to practice medicine in Massachusetts, but he will have a chance to appeal the decision.
According to a board investigator, Arndt acknowledged he had "exercised remarkably horrible judgement."
Arndt explained to the investigator he had been waiting for his paycheck because he had to pay some overdue bills, and had been hoping to finish the surgery before his bank closed for the day.
The procedure took longer than he expected, however, and Arndt decided to make a break for the bank midway through surgery.
Arndt, a graduate of Harvard Medical School, was not available for comment on his suspension.

Unbelievable! They suspended his license? They should have REVOKED his license. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

That is HORRIBLE. If it was just a deposit, someone else could have gone. But either way, I don't think his bills are more important than a persons life :mad: :mad:

I would like to see a link to the whole story. While I don't condone his action.... I am just wondering if he left the patient in the care of a Resident physician... i.e. the one not qualified to operate.

It does show a lack of common sense. That is a quality kind of important to have as a physician.

I think he will find his actions will cost him MUCH more in the long run than any late payment charges he may have acrued.

TLK,

Here is a link to the story this morning in the Boston Globe

The Full Article

Seems he had 'a bit on his mind'. Still inexcuseable IMHO.

Debbie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter