Does adding extra people at check in still work?

loladelorean

DIS Veteran
Hello all,

Lots of changes have been afoot with rooms, dining options, pricing etc at the Disney hotels. So I'm wondering whether they may have cracked down on the faithful old method of booking a room for one or two people, and adding additional people at checkin who have APs or separate tickets?

I am hopefully heading out for a mini hen do in February or March, just me and my 3 bridesmaids - and we would all share a room so could save money this way if it is still possible.

I hope so! We're booked this way for our upcoming trip in July - I'll be sending an email to the hotel a couple of weeks before to make sure we get a room with 2 double beds and I think I may phone them a few days before too just to make sure.

Looking forward to hearing is this is still the case too! Anyone yet done this since the changes in March??

C x

I did it at the end of March at the Cheyenne with no problems.

A friend tried it last month and ran into huge problems at Hotel New York.

She only made the booking for herself and was allocated a single beded room and wanted to add another couple to the room on arrival (they had APs so did not need park tickets).

Even though she emailed her request before arrival asking for a twin room the hotel refused to allocate her one at check in.

They did offer to upgrade her to an Empire Club Room but wanted to charge her an additional €950.

And they also tried to sell her an additional room for her friends.

Her two friends ended up staying at the Ibis Budget in Val d'Europe.

Oh no, I'm worried now. I'll call the hotel tomorrow I think and try and get a straight answer. I wonder how they can have different policies like this at different hotels. Or maybe it depends on the room type allocated? I knew my planning was too easy for this trip...

I've sent an email to DLP but not yet had a reply. I spoke to the agent I booked the package with and they've spoken to DLP who confirm we can add on people at check in but can't pre-book this option so need to sort out when we get there. Hopefully this will be ok, but sounds like it depends on the person (as is everything with DLP...)

They've also given me a price to add the rest of us on to the booking as a package with the free half board offer included just now. It's only another £400 so now I'm wondering if I should just do that and then our meals are paid. I guess I need to spend some time working out how much our meals would cost us to see if it's worthwhile. It might just be to avoid me being worried senseless for the next 3 weeks :scared:

I think it all depends on hotel occupancy, if they have already allocated you just a single bedded room and there are no double rooms left your out of luck.

Eek, glad I asked, sounds like it sadly isn't the straightforward situation it used to be. Considering doing what we did in March again instead - booking a Disney hotel via an external site room only (seeing pretty cheap rates) and getting tickets elsewhere. I've known it was coming for ages but still annoyed in advance about not having breakfast included anymore!
Hope you get sorted Ms Poppins! I'd be worrying as well but I guess there's a good chance it will work out ok for you...

I think it all depends on hotel occupancy, if they have already allocated you just a single bedded room and there are no double rooms left your out of luck.

Halloween in Hotel New York we were two people. Booked a double. They tried to give us a single. It wasn't even a king bed. When we told them "um... no" the people at check in seriously asked us "you're a boy and a girl, where's the problem?" Um... we were both in a relationship, but not with each other? Our respective boyfriends would not have approved for sure.

Never mind the fact that we were trying to add a third person.

We complained, were given a double and then checked into an occupied room.

After complaining about that they upgraded our breakfast to Compass Club which they then refused to honor the second day.

Since then I trust the adding a person at check in system as far as I can throw the person checking me in.

There always has been an element of risk with doing this as if you book a room for one person thats what they have contracted to give you.

I remember someone on here having problems a few years ago when checking into DLH after doing this however she did eventually get given a bigger room but it took a while to sort out.

The difference seems to be that they have either become stricter about not changing for people to try and cut down on the loop hole or they are genuinely booked up so have no rooms to offer - this could be the case if rooms are out of action during refurbs etc. It seems a much bigger risk to take now.

Thanks everyone - sounds like a hit and miss. The offer of the free half board just now finishes the week before we go, so I think I'll call the hotel direct to check with them and try and get some confirmation before we travel, otherwise we'll just upgrade. It's so annoying as I could have just booked a room only with AP for us all but because I had a 'perk' at work to use a travel account I thought I'd just use that instead. Turns out it may cost us in the long run. My head is mince (lovely Scottish phrase for you there...) once i've spoken to the hotel I'll make a decision.....

I've had a reply from DLP by email:

We thank you for your e-mail, your kind words and fidelity to Disneyland® Paris.

I have left message to the hotel staff in order to inform them about your requests.
They are therefore aware about the three other members of the party joining you upon arrival.
The booking you have made through Sta Travel is based on a room with two double beds.

We wish you a magical stay with us and remain at your disposal for any further inquiries.

Kindest regards,

I hadn't given them the name of the travel company, only the reference, so it seems like they've looked properly at my booking. I'll still call the hotel directly a week before we go as our booking should be on their system. I'll take a copy of this email with me too and aside of that I don't think there's much else I can do.

I'll try and find this thread when I come back to update.

I think you'll be fine as they know how many adults will be staying. I always think of the price for 1 adult as the base price and the extra adults are for their tickets. I do, however think you need to tell the hotel directly so they know how many beds you need.

We're just back and I thought I'd update and let you know how we got on.

No issues whatsoever. When I got to check in and mentioned I'd be adding 3 adults to the room, the CM was fine, checked the booking and got a laminated card he had with the room tax rates. We paid 22.32E for 3 adults for 3 nights. I suppose it depends on what type of room has been booked, but if I do this again I'll definitely ensure I email the hotel first.

Likewise, we've just booked the DCR for Christmas.
The CM on the phone (UK reservation line) initially said she couldn't do it as had to include all names on the reservation, but after speaking to her supervisor said that it was absolutely fine.

I did this in May 16 in the DLH and had no issues on check in. I did email them beforehand though, to make sure they knew the others were coming. This time I've booked HNY for Nov, one adult with AP discount. I told the lady on the phone that my husband and children might be joining me so to make sure it was a 2 bed room. She said that's what she reserved, so before we go I'll email the HNY just to confirm that they will be coming too and that we have enough beds for everyone. Fingers crossed.

Any more experiences of this post-March 2017?

Thanks!

C x

We're just back and I thought I'd update and let you know how we got on.

No issues whatsoever. When I got to check in and mentioned I'd be adding 3 adults to the room, the CM was fine, checked the booking and got a laminated card he had with the room tax rates. We paid 22.32E for 3 adults for 3 nights. I suppose it depends on what type of room has been booked, but if I do this again I'll definitely ensure I email the hotel first.

As mentioned Julie, went this summer

Yes, I saw, and responded above! lol

Just wondering if there were any more accounts or whether they were fluke occasions based on the way things USED to be done.

C x

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter