Does anyone else think a SNL Comedy Club could work on citywalk.

gopher101

I love to plan trips
Snl between the Players, writers, and friends there is a huge group of people that could do sets in this club. They could film comedy specials there. I could see the bigger names stopping there on comedy tours. I could also see be a tipping point to get people to chose Universal, if they have someone they like see in person.

Keep in mind like most other comedy clubs, a bar will be there.

Does anyone else think this could work?

Snl between the Players, writers, and friends there is a huge group of people that could do sets in this club. They could film comedy specials there. I could see the bigger names stopping there on comedy tours. I could also see be a tipping point to get people to chose Universal, if they have someone they like see in person.

Keep in mind like most other comedy clubs, a bar will be there.

Does anyone else think this could work?

It could work I guess.

They could just give me my own show and it would be packed full all the time.

Not sure SNL would bring in the numbers I can.

I can see them attempting to do a couple of specials (considering Fallon came to Universal Orlando a couple of times). However, I do not think it would happen that often, just an attempt to advertise and promote the place. I do not think a ton of huge comedians would drop in though. Perhaps, once in a blue moon. While I do not religiously pay attention to who has done shows for Hard Rock. In the few times I've checked over the years, I've only seen a huge comedian here and there. Even then those kind of comedians can be objective from person to person.

If they genuinely wanted it to be a venue for a lot of comedians to show up and promote it as more of a venue for comedians than just a regular bar it would work more in CW in Cali. However, if they want to have regular comedians doing SNL type of things and it's more of a chill bar to drink and watch comedians with that SNL vibe, it could work at our CW.

I could see an SNL themed club - similar to the Tonight Show ride - paying homage to history of SNL - but then just being a somewhat standard comedy club
Yes this. Classic SNL type entertainment comedy sketch show but without politics. Just a group of comedic performers doing comedy skits that will appeal to a broad audience.

So...not SNL in any way, shape, or form?
Trying to think about humor that would appeal to guest from all over. I'm thinking of something like land shark, killer bees, the loud family. Sort of old school SNL that international visitors would find humor in.

Sort of old school SNL that international visitors would find humor in.

I maybe a kiddo compared to some people on here, but I know enough to know old school SNL was political too. If anything, the international visitors would find it funny if we made fun of our politics. Not that I need it, or want politics for comedy, but I can think of better arguments to not include it than that.

I maybe a kiddo compared to some people on here, but I know enough to know old school SNL was political too. If anything, the international visitors would find it funny if we made fun of our politics. Not that I need it, or want politics for comedy, but I can think of better arguments to not include it than that.
It was - but it was also had a very different tone and was somewhat more balanced as well.

In the end I think people want a vacation from the hyper partisan politics.

I'd be surprised if we dont see an SNL club - some of it might be what to they need to pay Lorne for that - but they will take advantage of every IP they have.

Today show cafe, I dont get it - but it costs them very little Im sure

It was - but it was also had a very different tone and was somewhat more balanced as well.

In the end I think people want a vacation from the hyper partisan politics.

I'd be surprised if we dont see an SNL club - some of it might be what to they need to pay Lorne for that - but they will take advantage of every IP they have.

Today show cafe, I dont get it - but it costs them very little Im sure

That I would agree. Not only a different tone of comedy, but perhaps not as much as politics as there is today. However, it seems that anyone expressing any opinion is considered "political" nowadays.

But as for the worry for politics, if it even happens, it'll more than likely be quick and brief, like the Horror Make Up Show, where they would say "Barack Obama" when Frankenstein would appear in a clip during the show, or the "Dick Chaney" joke.

I think an SNL type of club would be a very entertaining option. Tbh, surprised they couldn't do something with SNL in the first place instead of The Tonight Show inside Universal. It is an iconic show too, but the idea of an attraction based off of it seems so silly to me.

I thought an SNL club was already part of the rumor mill? I remember reading that a while ago when it was announced they'd be closing some of the shops alongside the Voodoo Donuts area. I haven't followed closely enough to know what's been announced or what new rumors are circulating, but I remember thinking the SNL club would be a welcome addition. Something for adults to do who aren't into clubs, and who have had their fill of dueling pianos.

Hard to believe that there was only one mention of Hard Rock. We have went to two comedy shows there so it has a similar function. The idea is more viable if it is a true comedy club and while it may still have an occasional headliner it would not pull away the biggest acts from the Hard Rock venue. Too many post focused on the style and content of the SNL, which is too narrow for the business so it would have to include regular stand up, open mikes and other events to be successful. There is no way they could just focus on the sketch‘s that are on the SNL show.

SNL itself is seems tied to other venues like Second City and they really want to market their own product. This doesn't seem as likely as it might hurt their brand of “not ready for prime time players” to be directly associated to the theme parks. Now Keenan Thompson could be a good option in the future, after he leaves the show. Doesn’t he live in the Tampa area anyway. That would indirectly tie SNL to the club and give him a marketing opportunity.

Whether he lives there, or not (I don't follow him that closely to know) I can see them having him trying to make appearances, especially since he got his first big break there basically too (Nick Studios).

SNL itself is seems tied to other venues like Second City and they really want to market their own product. This doesn't seem as likely as it might hurt their brand of “not ready for prime time players” to be directly associated to the theme parks. Now Keenan Thompson could be a good option in the future, after he leaves the show. Doesn’t he live in the Tampa area anyway. That would indirectly tie SNL to the club and give him a marketing opportunity.
It was my impression from the rumors article I read a while ago that it would be themed in the vein of SNL (because NBC Universal) but would be your run of the mill comedy club like you likely have in your town - the occasional comedy names you know with regulars or lesser names most times. But again, this was just a rumor.

Last edited:
Hard to believe that there was only one mention of Hard Rock. We have went to two comedy shows there so it has a similar function. The idea is more viable if it is a true comedy club and while it may still have an occasional headliner it would not pull away the biggest acts from the Hard Rock venue. Too many post focused on the style and content of the SNL, which is too narrow for the business so it would have to include regular stand up, open mikes and other events to be successful. There is no way they could just focus on the sketch‘s that are on the SNL show.

:thumbsup2

Kenan just did the UOR campaign in February I believe.......the Let Yourself Woah Orlando thing......so he could fit in nicely as the connection is already there.

I guess they dont do a great job advertising it.

I've been to Universal numerous time and just found out recently they have a tribute to CBGBs around the back of the Hard Rock.
I've been to Berlin to see the Ramones Museum specifically - yet I've walked by Hard rock hundreds of time and never new that was there.
It looks pretty hidden over by the entrance to Blue man I guess
One of the first things I'll do on my next trip is check that out

I could see more of a Second City improv type club. Since the parks close pretty early during much of the year, it would be nice if they did an early show that was family friendly and then a later show for adults. I would love to have something to do in City Walk with my kids after leaving the parks.

SNL themed could be a good way to put a twist on a comedy club and be more of a show but I think a comedy club in general, SNL or otherwise, would be a great addition to both City Walk and Disney Springs.

Would it work? Yes I think it would.

Would Lorne Michaels approve it? I don't think he would. Say what you want about SNL now but it has a big legacy and I just don't see it fitting in at City Walk.

That being said a comedy club in general for City Walk would be a good idea. I do think that it would need to be an 18+ thing after say 9 P.M.

On my original idea. Sketches had not even crossed my mind, only stand up. I was thinking more along the lines of the Tropicana club, where they have 3 comediennes doing nightly shows- changed out every week (just flip flopped every week).

I think Lorne would go for it, if only to give some of his people a steady gig.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts