Does anyone else walk, run while packing heat?

These threads also highlight the cultural differences within a worldwide forum- even though we may be of differing opinions there is no reason for it to go "downhill".
WD's comment about "applications for shotgun and firearms certificates" is as foreign to me as an American as our ability to own firearms (of all types) may be to them!

I haven’t expressed an opinion, regarding the OP’s question. I live in Wales and (thankfully) it isn’t an issue I have any need to consider, although as a matter of principle, when requested, I refuse to sign applications for shotgun and firearms certificates. It isn’t a responsibility that I am willing to assume.
I have questioned whether people come to a Disney forum expecting to read about people running with guns... and now rape.
You asked for the basis of my statistics and I provided them showing women in England/Wales are at 4 times the risk for this type of violence then in the US. I guess I shouldn’t expect a thank you for taking the time to answer your question.

Gun deaths per 100,000 people / year

USA > 12
Canada 2
Italy 1.3
Australia 0.9

Compared to other developed nations, the US gun death rate is at least 5x higher.

I would say everyone in the USA has a say on guns, since it clearly is a public safety matter affecting everyone.
About two thirds of that number in the US are suicides. Other Western countries have suicide rates close to the US but due to firearms restrictions other means are used.

Last edited:

I don't believe any person discussing how NOT to be a victim deserves that kind of admonition. >:(

Sure sounds like someone is uncomfortable with this subject and is doing their best to get the thread deleted/ended by the moderator.
Censorship is not the answer. Simply ignore this thread and have a fantastic evening. 8-)

Last edited:
I don't believe any person discussing how NOT to be a victim deserves that kind of admonition. >:(

Sure sounds like someone is uncomfortable with this subject and is doing their best to get the thread deleted/ended by the moderator.
Censorship is not the answer. Simply ignore this thread and have a fantastic evening. 8-)
Perhaps a person who considers it essential to carry a weapon while jogging, is already a victim of their own fear? Can you imagine how heartbreakingly awful it must be to live your life imagining that danger is around every corner?

Welsh_Dragon, if you like I will research all the women runners killed/molested in broad daylight whilst presuming themselves safe doing a routine run.
Caution, it will be a very long list which will possibly shock the foundations of your Ivory Tower.

PS, is it presumptuous of me to assume you are male?

Doesn't matter. This is a discussion board. If she wants to bring a hot topic to the running board and the mods let it stand, she is going to get every type of response - those that support her idea and those which do not.

My frank opinion - anyone here carrying a gun in a safe and secure way while running will never be able to get it out and use it effectively if attacked by a human being. The reasoning is simple - if the gun is secure enough not to bounce around and also not able to fall onto the ground, it will not be easy to get out - especially if the person is sweaty and tired. Attacks of this nature are generally over before they begin. The attacker lies in wait for a victim, and then strikes without warning. By the time a person realizes they are in danger, it is over. By the time they even remember that they have a gun, it is over. You have to train and train and train, putting yourself into a situation like this, to have a chance. You have to practice getting that gun out fast, under duress, while tired and sweaty time and again, and it still wouldn't be enough.

Those carrying handguns to protect against wild animals - like those who have to run in areas with bobcats, puma and bear - different story. But even then, bear spray would likely be far more effective than a small caliber handgun. I run in those conditions - I get the need for that kind of protection. But a handgun is simply an ineffective solution to the problem. It might make a person feel safer, but it doesn't make them any safer.

I would never run with a person who felt it necessary to carry while running. And I am a huge 2A advocate, and a hunter.

I must say, as someone from the UK, this is a hell of a thread to come across. To have to live in constant fear to the point where you feel the need to run with a firearm is something we'll probably never understand. There's also the casual attitude to running with a lethal weapon in the thread title "run while packing heat".

Not "running while armed" but "packing heat". Discussion of something designed to end someones life should perhaps be a little less Hollywood in tone, especially on a Disney forum as it is this language that perpetuates the glamorisation of guns. Perhaps it's this attitude that helps contribute to some of the world wide visitors feeling uncomfortable.

I must say, as someone from the UK, this is a hell of a thread to come across. To have to live in constant fear to the point where you feel the need to run with a firearm is something we'll probably never understand. There's also the casual attitude to running with a lethal weapon in the thread title "run while packing heat". Lol... "live in constant fear"-- perhaps the OP just chooses to even the odds (as minuscule as they may be) in their favor? Being from the UK you don't have that choice- hell, you're having to turn in your butter knives! I agree-- the term "packing heat" is a silly euphemism but hey, who am I to judge... better, I suppose, than "yeet cannon".

Not "running while armed" but "packing heat". Discussion of something designed to end someones life should perhaps be a little less Hollywood in tone, especially on a Disney forum as it is this language that perpetuates the glamorization of guns. Perhaps it's this attitude that helps contribute to some of the world wide visitors feeling uncomfortable. You fear that which you don't understand, that's ok. We all do. Look at it this way-- I keep a fire extinguisher in my kitchen (if you ever saw my lovely wife cook, you'd understand). It is there, not because I want to use it, but it gives me an option I wouldn't otherwise have in case of fire. Surely you aren't suggesting that OP should limit their (legally available) options because of YOUR fear? People who choose to carry do not fear the tool- it's an inanimate object incapable of acting on it's own but they also have to assume the risk and frightening responsibility of doing so.
You may be surprised to find out that I personally do not carry. I determined for myself that it isn't necessary FOR ME.
I've taken a contrary opinion simply because I feel that many only post their opinions hoping for a sounding board of like opinions, to feel affirmation that (since others agree) they must surely be right.

The OP asked for info from people who DO carry while running, not what you or anyone else believe to be righteous or correct. Silencing discussion (not that you asked for that, Beertiger) simply because you might be "uncomfortable" should never happen-- especially if you chose to interject an opinion in an "uncomfortable" discussion!

I'd like to thank the mods for allowing this convo to continue even though it'd have been SO much easier to take the easy way out and close it!

I'd also like to thank those responding in a respectful manner as these types of threads usually devolve into monkeys flinging poo and swinging purses! LOL....

Funny, I never realized life in the UK was crime free.
Perhaps taking away everyone's blunt spoons and garden tools solved all violent crime?
Who'da thunk it?

Seriously, the straw-man argument of "living in constant fear" just doesn't hold water.
I bet many on this board wear a face mask when they go to the grocery store.
I assume most wear a seat belt while driving.
Look both ways when crossing the street.
Why are YOU living in constant fear?

Please respect a person's right in this country to make full use of our 2nd Amendment that many died to ensure.
If your country doesn't allow such a fundamental American Constitutional Right, so be it.

(BTW, I've never run with a gun except during the Summer when it's "suns-out-guns-out.)" :P

Funny, I never realized life in the UK was crime free.
Perhaps taking away everyone's blunt spoons and garden tools solved all violent crime?
Who'da thunk it?

Seriously, the straw-man argument of "living in constant fear" just doesn't hold water.
I bet many on this board wear a face mask when they go to the grocery store.
I assume most wear a seat belt while driving.
Look both ways when crossing the street.
Why are YOU living in constant fear?

Please respect a person's right in this country to make full use of our 2nd Amendment that many died to ensure.
If your country doesn't allow such a fundamental American Constitutional Right, so be it.

(BTW, I've never run with a gun except during the Summer when it's "suns-out-guns-out.)" :P

If there's one idiosyncrasy that us foreign folk love, it's when certain Americans bring up their Constitution as if it's special; as if the USA is the only country in the world to have ever written down some form of guaranteed basic human rights.

Let's take for example the 5th Amendment, it's a rewording of article 29 of the Magna Carta, written 500 years earlier but with a bit added in about the military.

"No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation. "

vs

"No freeman is to be taken or imprisoned or disseised of his free tenement or of his liberties or free customs, or outlawed or exiled or in any way ruined, nor will we go against such a man or send against him save by lawful judgement of his peers or by the law of the land. To no-one will we sell or deny of delay right or justice."

Most countries in the world have some form of a constitution, yours isn't special. It's just that other countries update them as societal progress dictates, rather than be beholden to a group of men who could never have conceived of an iPhone. One of the common jokes over here, oft repeated after yet another mass shooting and the 2nd amendment is wheeled out to defend more murder, is that someone should buy you guys a dictionary. It's a fairly reductive joke but it does work.

While we're at it, the USA didn't stumble across some sort of freedom mine when the settlers were taking land from the indigenous population. You're not the only ones who understand the concept of freedom or have any access to it so please stop banging on about it, it just looks silly to people living in other democracies.

If there's one idiosyncrasy that us foreign folk love, it's when certain Americans bring up their Constitution as if it's special; as if the USA is the only country in the world to have ever written down some form of guaranteed basic human rights.

Let's take for example the 5th Amendment, it's a rewording of article 29 of the Magna Carta, written 500 years earlier but with a bit added in about the military.

"No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation. "

vs

"No freeman is to be taken or imprisoned or disseised of his free tenement or of his liberties or free customs, or outlawed or exiled or in any way ruined, nor will we go against such a man or send against him save by lawful judgement of his peers or by the law of the land. To no-one will we sell or deny of delay right or justice."

Most countries in the world have some form of a constitution, yours isn't special. It's just that other countries update them as societal progress dictates, rather than be beholden to a group of men who could never have conceived of an iPhone. One of the common jokes over here, oft repeated after yet another mass shooting and the 2nd amendment is wheeled out to defend more murder, is that someone should buy you guys a dictionary. It's a fairly reductive joke but it does work.

While we're at it, the USA didn't stumble across some sort of freedom mine when the settlers were taking land from the indigenous population. You're not the only ones who understand the concept of freedom or have any access to it so please stop banging on about it, it just looks silly to people living in other democracies.

Our Constitution can be updated and has many times since it was ratified. It is is difficult to do so, as it should be, and can't be done with a simple majority or by the federal government alone.

I didn't read the whole thing but if I were to see anyone running or walking with an open carry I would never go there again. You are using it for safty but others will see it as danger. If someone comes behind u and grabs you a gun will not help it might make things worse and give a bad guy a free gun...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter