Does anyone else walk, run while packing heat?

SL6827

DIS Veteran
As I said in a previous post I walk three miles about every other day along the road in which I live and some connecting roads. I will soon up that to probably four miles a day. So far I have been walking without any protection but I have a 9 mm I have been training with, with my husband because I need something on me. I have had just a couple instances of where I have noticed that a certain vehicles with usually two or three people have passed me on a more than normal frequency and it got my attetion. Currently in our county there are around eight sex offenders that they can not locate so that is nice. :rolleyes2 And yesterday we had tresspassers on our property looking through our huge shed that held some of our possesions. :mad: So I am hoping to get a holster next week.

My husband has a collection of 62 firearms in his man cave so I had the pick of the litter of which one I wanted. So anyone else, espically you ladies pack heat with you?

No, definitely not. I run on busy trails or around the neighborhood and have never felt unsafe.
Ok, well if you feel safe that is great. But I know I need to have one on me. Hopefully just the sight of my shoulder holster around me will be enough to ward off any possible trouble.

I live just north of chicago. We have never owned a gun and never will. I walk outside at dark frequently in our city and have never been Threatened or concerned. I’ve taken the train to and from chicago at night without concern. I’m more concerned about our urban coyotes stealing dogs than I am with being accosted. Bless those that feel more comfortable with a gun either at home or on your person. I’m not saying you shouldn’t own or carry. It’s certainly your right. For my husband and I it’s just something we don’t understand. And we’ve had our house broken into and had things stolen from our house so it’s not that we haven’t experienced crime. I think for us the thought of owning a gun feels like it gives us way too much power over life and death. I’m not trying to make a political statement. It’s just a personal feeling.

I live just north of chicago. We have never owned a gun and never will. I walk outside at dark frequently in our city and have never been Threatened or concerned. I’ve taken the train to and from chicago at night without concern. I’m more concerned about our urban coyotes stealing dogs than I am with being accosted. Bless those that feel more comfortable with a gun either at home or on your person. I’m not saying you shouldn’t own or carry. It’s certainly your right. For my husband and I it’s just something we don’t understand. And we’ve had our house broken into and had things stolen from our house so it’s not that we haven’t experienced crime. I think for us the thought of owning a gun feels like it gives us way too much power over life and death. I’m not trying to make a political statement. It’s just a personal feeling.
Well said. I am just now warming up to the idea of carrying. Only because I am feeling very strong that I need to do so. And when the feeling I have is this certain I can't ignore it. We live on 30 acreas of land and my husband has to go out of town from time to time with his job. Next week in fact. I need to be able to protect myself should something happen.

When I lived in Minneapolis, I would carry when I walked or biked anywhere, but not when I ran. I only used belt holsters, not too many gun belts getting used with running gear. Plus at the time I was carrying a full size Glock, now that I have a Taurus 9mm slim, if I got a fanny pack holster like this one https://www.amazon.com/BLACKHAWK-Co...SJ464MQGGKW&psc=1&refRID=TYE87Q81BSJ464MQGGKW , I would think about it.
Ya, I am just walking now and will be there for a good while. If/when I get to jogging I will probably go with another type of gun. The 9mm is not a small gun at all.

I can't stand the word "privilege," but as a male I will say I have an advantage of running without a whole lot of worry for safety.
Cars, trucks, potholes, and wild animals being my main concern.
I have run alone at night through unfamiliar neighborhoods all over the world and never experienced any real danger.
Perhaps ignorance is indeed bliss?
I have been whistled at and catcalled. (Is it wrong to be flattered and not OUTRAGED?)
That said, I respect a persons own decision of how they run safe.
There are so many horror stories about women runners and the danger they face.
That young girl from Iowa a couple years back is the first thing that comes to mind.

Ya, I am just walking now and will be there for a good while. If/when I get to jogging I will probably go with another type of gun. The 9mm is not a small gun at all.

I don’t run with a gun but if someone were to try and attack you pepper spray may be a better choice for the mere fact that it can do damage with less accuracy over a greater area - when you’re panicked and struggling you want something quick and effective. Also learn how to dig your thumbs into someone’s eye sockets. It’s sad that we have to think/worry about these things but that’s the reality! Stay safe :)

I am hoping that just the sight of the holster will make someone think twice. Then me pulling it out of the holster would be the first warning, the second would me pulling back the hammer. Then theres no more chances. I doubt very seriously I will ever need it, I think just the sight of the holster will do. But you never do know.

I am going to get my carry concealed permit in the near future as well. Not that I will be carry a gun concealed anywhere anytime soon, but heaven forbid I was to ever have to use it, having the permit would probably look good in the courtroom. And I just think about that high school girl who is missing now that went tanning. So sad.

I am hoping that just the sight of the holster will make someone think twice. Then me pulling it out of the holster would be the first warning, the second would me pulling back the hammer. Then theres no more chances. I doubt very seriously I will ever need it, I think just the sight of the holster will do. But you never do know.
Have you ever tried manipulating the hammer of a single action firearm under stress? I would highly suggest that you don't carry a weapon you aren't very familiar with and have used in at least a simulated stressful situation. The number of times I've seen people with 1911's that forget to disengage the safety during competition is somewhat alarming.

Depending on the laws of the state in which you live, not having a valid carry permit could easily put you in prison if you ever have to use it. Get training, practice, then decide if you're going to carry it.

Have you ever tried manipulating the hammer of a single action firearm under stress? I would highly suggest that you don't carry a weapon you aren't very familiar with and have used in at least a simulated stressful situation. The number of times I've seen people with 1911's that forget to disengage the safety during competition is somewhat alarming.

Depending on the laws of the state in which you live, not having a valid carry permit could easily put you in prison if you ever have to use it. Get training, practice, then decide if you're going to carry it.
Me and my husband are training for just that. He brought that up early on. He knows guns, like I know Disney.

There was a time I was running on a trail with my husband..I was ahead of him and I encountered a man on rollerblades..dark glasses..helmet. He slowed as I approached him...almost to a stop..I got a bad vibe . I slowed too and yelled back for my husband "hurry up, do I have to come get you?"...just to let the guy know I was with someone. I ended up turning around and running back toward my husband and we passed the rollerblader eventually no issues. About a month later I saw his description in our local paper..he was attacking women on the trail. Since then I always carry Mace when I run. I was followed by someone in a car one time after that..it was more scary since no one was around. I started screaming at the top of my lungs pointing the Mace at the guy standing in front of a rural driveway. He drove off. You never know. The only thing I ever worry about is having the weapon turned on myself..Mace, gun or otherwise.

I have not, though I have entertained the thought once or twice. We live in a very rural area, and on the trails I run, I do not see a lot of people, if I would need help, for instance. I do always carry my phone and pepper spray wrapped around my hand.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!