Does anyone else walk, run while packing heat?

I would think a 9mm would be hard to run with because of its size and weight. I do sometimes carry a .380 in my flipbelt, especially on longer runs. I'm honestly more worried about snakes and coyotes than people, but I've had a few trucks make me very nervous. There is nothing wrong with safety carrying a firearm that you are confident about using, should a bad situation call for it.

I would think a 9mm would be hard to run with because of its size and weight. I do sometimes carry a .380 in my flipbelt, especially on longer runs. I'm honestly more worried about snakes and coyotes than people, but I've had a few trucks make me very nervous. There is nothing wrong with safety carrying a firearm that you are confident about using, should a bad situation call for it.
Depends entirely on the make/model of the 9mm. The difference between a .380 cartridge and 9mm cartridge is only 2mm in length with the same bullet diameter. You could have a Ruger LC9 which would be almost the exact same size as a Bersa Thunder .380. People hear 9mm and think Glock 17 or Beretta 92, I have a S&W Shield 9mm that's half the size of my Glocks.

OP, what 9mm are you considering?

Depends entirely on the make/model of the 9mm. The difference between a .380 cartridge and 9mm cartridge is only 2mm in length with the same bullet diameter. You could have a Ruger LC9 which would be almost the exact same size as a Bersa Thunder .380. People hear 9mm and think Glock 17 or Beretta 92, I have a S&W Shield 9mm that's half the size of my Glocks.

OP, what 9mm are you considering?

That makes sense. I'm comparing my husband's Glock 9mm with my Ruger LCP .380. I couldn't imagine running with the Glock.

It is a Beretta. But I am not running, just walking right now. If I do start up the running I would probably go with something else.

I am going to go try on a holster next week with the gun, if it doesn't feel right I will look at the other guns in my husband's collection.

Former police officer, and of course have my CCW. Something goes with me everywhere I go.

A full size 9mm is going to be bulky and heavy. You're going to get tired of lugging that around pretty quickly. Hopefully hubby is open to the option of taking you to pick out something smaller and much lighter. Even if it's a smaller 9mm. I love the Beretta Nanos. I don't use a holster and find them to be uncomfortable. I much prefer a fanny pack or purse with a place to stow the weapon. I carry a Beretta 96A1. It's just what I'm most comfortable and most accurate with. Everyone is different.

FYI, you should NEVER pull a weapon unless your intention is to use it. It's not something to wave around and frighten people. That's called brandishing and will get you in serious trouble. It's a felony in most states and can escalate a situation pretty quickly. IMO and no snark meant here, that you're considering that as a legitimate defense is proof that you're not ready to be carrying a firearm. You also may not realize that carrying out in the open as a lone female might make you MORE of a target, rather than less of one. No one should ever know you have a weapon until it's time to use it.

Please take the course, carry concealed with the proper training and knowledge, and know that it's there if you need it. Likely, you never will.

Former police officer, and of course have my CCW. Something goes with me everywhere I go.

A full size 9mm is going to be bulky and heavy. You're going to get tired of lugging that around pretty quickly. Hopefully hubby is open to the option of taking you to pick out something smaller and much lighter. Even if it's a smaller 9mm. I love the Beretta Nanos. I don't use a holster and find them to be uncomfortable. I much prefer a fanny pack or purse with a place to stow the weapon. I carry a Beretta 96A1. It's just what I'm most comfortable and most accurate with. Everyone is different.

FYI, you should NEVER pull a weapon unless your intention is to use it. It's not something to wave around and frighten people. That's called brandishing and will get you in serious trouble. It's a felony in most states and can escalate a situation pretty quickly. IMO and no snark meant here, that you're considering that as a legitimate defense is proof that you're not ready to be carrying a firearm. You also may not realize that carrying out in the open as a lone female might make you MORE of a target, rather than less of one. No one should ever know you have a weapon until it's time to use it.

Please take the course, carry concealed with the proper training and knowledge, and know that it's there if you need it. Likely, you never will.
You may be right about it not being the gun I need so I will get a better feel of it next week in a holster. Ya, my husband wouldn't mind me taking a smaller gun, he is given a hard time by his buddies for me picking one of his best. And if I am at the point of pulling it out, it will be because I feel a serious threat, so I am not even going to sweat that. But why does carry out in the open make me more of a target? I know my husband only carries conceled, so this has me wondering? Thanks for any tips.

You just lost the element of surprise and told the bad guys to plan for you having a weapon. Also, depending on the laws of your state, it might be illegal, even with a permit.
I can carry openly without any permit. This is the state of Georgia here.

I can carry openly without any permit. This is the state of Georgia here.
You might want to check that with authorities in your state. According to both opencarry.org and georgiacarry.org, you are only allowed to carry a handgun without a license on your own property or in a motor vehicle.

You might want to check that with authorities in your state. According to both opencarry.org and georgiacarry.org, you are only allowed to carry a handgun without a license on your own property or in a motor vehicle.
I will check on that. If so I will have to get my permit soon. But I will most definitely look into that.

Maybe it is a regional thing, but I have never seen anyone except a police office with a holster on walking around. I live just outside of Boston. If I had a gun in a holster on me on my walks it would definitely seem out of place and bizarre. Would never even occur to me to do that. No judgement- just thinking how different certain areas are as far as guns go.

Well we do have a walking trail here in my town and it is nice, and wooded. Used it before, some days felt perfectly safe, others not so safe. But yes, I do need my permit. So that will be a slight set back, but I was going to get it anyways, just didn't know I needed it so soon. I am soooo glad that was brought up to me. But I wonder if you used to be able to carry open in the state of Georgia without a permit. My husband really didn't know that but I suppose the reason being is he has had a carry concealed permit for 20 plus years and never gave it much thought.
Maybe it is a regional thing, but I have never seen anyone except a police office with a holster on walking around. I live just outside of Boston. If I had a gun in a holster on me on my walks it would definitely seem out of place and bizarre. Would never even occur to me to do that. No judgement- just thinking how different certain areas are as far as guns go.
Ya this is the deep South. We don't bat an eye at it.

Chances are far greater that the gun will hurt you or someone that you love than that you will be able to effectively use it in self defense. Do what you feel you need to do, but if I felt like I needed to carry a gun to run safely, I would move.
I disagree. We are very responsible gun owners. Move? That is a lot harder said than done, but I would love to live in a nice community instead of a 30 acrea farm.

I am really glad I posted this thread as it has given me insight and info that I was able to educate my husband on the gun law. I am going to have to rethink my walking plan until I am legal, but I will get there. And I am going to try out a few more of his handguns to make sure that 9mm is what I need. I really have a feeling that ya'll know what your talking about with its size. He did let me shoot a couple others the other day, but I think it was to see how I would react to guns that packed a punch. No thank you! I am so thankful I have this right. I am at home tonight, all by myself, but I have protection on our fireplace mantle as well.

Speaking of safety, due to Covid-19 many unsavory characters are being released from jail before serving their time.
These are strange times. Be safe ya'll!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!